The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RTI11
Congratulations!!! No, I'm still waiting...Let it be! Thanks a lot! :smile:

Ah kk :smile: *fingers crossed* you'll probably get it very soon dw.
Reply 521
Offer for Medicine!!! Ahhh over the moon! :P

Just a quick question:

The 8 week terms I know are going to be intense, but how intense are the breaks going to be?
Original post by SoundDude
Offer for Medicine!!! Ahhh over the moon! :P

Just a quick question:

The 8 week terms I know are going to be intense, but how intense are the breaks going to be?

Congratz :smile: from what I've heard (this is for natural sciences unfortunately), during the "breaks" you're probably looking at around 4 hours work a day - not including background reading and stuff :tongue:.
Okay so I've calmed down now... anybody that was unsuccessful do not think of it as failure, think of it as an experience. Whether or not I'd managed to bag an offer today I'd still would have grown from the whole experience and so will you. Applying to Cambridge is incredibly hard and emotional. You should all be proud of yourselves for getting as far as you did and having the courage to apply. I know how hard it is to put yourself out there when you feel like you have so much to lose. Life isn't about getting to where you want to get to, its about growing along the way - like Bilbo Baggins did on his journey to the Lonely Mountain. And those of your pooled, I keep my fingers crossed for you all and hope to see you in October. Keep the faith, stay strong and be proud of yourself, truly. x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 524
Anyone know where I can buy a CAMBRIDGE HOODIE ? I'm ... so happy it's not even funny!
Reply 525
Original post by PartonProduct
Congratz :smile: from what I've heard (this is for natural sciences unfortunately), during the "breaks" you're probably looking at around 4 hours work a day - not including background reading and stuff :tongue:.

Hahahah, 6 years of hard work here I come :P I guess 4-5 hours of work in the break a day isn't that bad, its still less than a school day! :smile:
Original post by Jackkkkk
Ah well done :biggrin: i look forward to meeting you in October. Our Gap years payed off :biggrin:

Thanks, still hasn't sunk in properly :smile:, yeah they definitively have! Now I can go to Austria for the rest of the year happy. What are you doing till October?
Reply 527
Original post by cawcarrot
Anyone know where I can buy a CAMBRIDGE HOODIE ? I'm ... so happy it's not even funny!

Oh god don't buy one, literally only the tourists buy them. If you want a hoodie get your college one...
Reply 528
Original post by bogstandardname
Offer from Christ's for Maths.

Original post by Grauniad
Letter arrived (finally)................
Offer from Christ's to do HSPS (A*AA). Pretty effing chuffed :biggrin:

Original post by fox1151
Offer from Christ's - Physical Natural Sciences A*AAA!!!, good luck to anyone in the pool.

Original post by CaffeineRabbit
Got an offer from Christ's for Law!

Original post by Muppetmad
Subject: History
College: Christ's
Outcome: Offer
Conditions: A*AA
How did you hear? (eg letter/phone/owl): Letter
How do you feel? Ecstatic! I can't quite believe it, I'm not sure how to feel really! It'll settle in at some point, I'm sure!

Original post by Charlye
Subject: Philosophy
Conditions: A*AA
How do you feel? Genuinely shocked.
:smile:

Original post by StaedtlerNoris
Subject: Medicine
Outcome: OFFER! :biggrin:
Conditions: A*AAA
How do you feel? On the top of the worlddd! :biggrin: Though I need an A in my 4th A level :frown:

Original post by thecandymagpie
Subject: Education, English and Drama
Conditions: A*AAA
How do you feel? Very surprised and happy!!! 4th A level might be a bit tricky... but I'll do my best!
:smile:

Original post by azurial
Subject: NatSci (Bio)
Outcome: OFFER!
Conditions: A* Biology A* Chemistry and A German
How did you hear? (eg letter/phone/owl): Letter... I ran to the postie before she got to my house :smile:
How do you feel? Over the moon! Extremely shocked!

Original post by Natalie21
Subject: Medicine
Outcome: OFFER
Conditions: A*AA (Any of Bio, Chem and Maths)
How did you hear?: Post
How do you feel: ABSOLUTELY ECSTATIC :WOO:

Original post by Epic Name Fail
Subject: Mathematics
Conditions: Irish Leaving Cert 5 A1's (incl. Maths, Applied Maths and Physics) STEP: 1,1 in II and III
How did you hear?: Email (requested)
How did you feel?: I'm not sure there are words to describe it! Pretty amazing I guess (especially after having been told by the college that they rarely take Irish students!) :biggrin:

Congratulations on getting offers from the best college at Cambridge! As an overly-keen member of your Freshers Committee I'd urge you all to join the offer-holders group that's been created for you:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/442991139088257/

Apologies to anyone I've forgotten to quote here (just did a quick trawl through a few threads) but please feel free to join the group if you've got an offer from Christ's. Looking forward to seeing you all in October. :biggrin:
Reply 529
Original post by cam582
Oh god don't buy one, literally only the tourists buy them. If you want a hoodie get your college one...

Don't the university sell it in an official shop ? Oxford has one !
Original post by SoundDude
Hahahah, 6 years of hard work here I come :P I guess 4-5 hours of work in the break a day isn't that bad, its still less than a school day! :smile:

Yeah :smile: my thoughts exactly :cool:
Original post by zoee1111
well done :smile: i got an unconditional for PBS as well, Trinity hall. we really should open a PBS thread so we can get to know each other before october! aaaaaargh i am soooo happy!

congrats :smile: that's the college my brother went too, it's really pretty :smile: A PBS thread would be a good idea.
Ah, got rejected from Pembroke for Philosophy :grumble: never mind, well done to everyone who got in :smile:
Genuinely so, so surprised to have received an offer after my interviews - needless to say, though, I am absolutely ECSTATIC! :biggrin: Well done to everybody with an offer! x
Reply 534
Original post by _Memphis_
Hey,
I know it's probably been answered before, but the thread is just going way to fast to find what I am looking for.

Does Downing College send out e-mails to EU (non UK) applicants without request?
Has anyone heard anything from Downing College via e-mail or post?

Please Quote me, if you answer my question :smile:

Thank you

Hey there, yes I received a letter via e-mail from Downing today afternoon - I applied for Chem Eng via Natural Sciences and got pooled. However I did have to send them an e-mail requesting for the letter to be e-mailed to be as I live in Dubai, and the post over here is atrocious! So if you can't wait, then I'd recommend popping them an e-mail requesting them to send it to you :smile:.
Reply 535
Original post by Sharpeyj
I have recently found out my predicted grades don't even meet the conditions for a standard offer :frown: surely that is my chance down the drain? What sort of emphasis do they place on predicted grades? Mine are AAA

They specifically say that they don't differentiate between being predicted A and A* as different schools/teachers have different feelings about predicting A*s - some won't predict them at all.
Original post by n.confused
Hahaha! Right? Still haven's heard back from LSE, UCL and Durham in my case. But since Cam is my first choice and Warwick is my third, and I've heard of them, I'm almost 'only' waiting on LSE, which is my second choice.

Have a feeling I'll be rejected from UCL/Durham anyway... :s-smilie:

Ah, I applied to LSE too. But I prefer Bristol, so it doesn't matter xD LSE is very competitive. Hopefully you'll get in, but you have Cambridge now so it doesn't matter too much haha
Original post by Powerfrau

I was having serious doubts, like everyone I suppose! I was so happy when I saw you got in, too! It's all wonderful stuff. I can't wait until October if I meet the offer. I thought it might have been you :teehee: I had better get my grades after all of this. How did you hit this goldmine?! (Don't shame me if it was really easy, haha)

Haha, yeah, Cambridge does that to people. Two days ago I almost started to doubt that I even attended the interviews!

It's crazy, we already know like 5% of our futue 'class' by knowing each other. (Yes, this was definitely relevant information. :biggrin:)

Oh, I'm sure you'll meet your offer. It's a bit cruel of them to include all four subjects, but I'm sure you'll do just fine. Your subjects are... German, EngLang, Latin and... EngLit? Correct me if I'm wrong, German at least I'm sure of, which is natürlich the most important. :tongue:

Well, a few days ago I was very productively browsing the Linguistics Department's website and checking out all the lecturers. And I accidentally (ahem) went on Bert Vaux's personal site, then came across all this wonderful material. :biggrin: There are actual sample essays! *hyperventilates*
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 538
Original post by cawcarrot
Don't the university sell it in an official shop ? Oxford has one !

well yes they have Ryders and Amies who supply gowns etc. Anyway my point is the uni one is never really appropriate. If you wear it in cam you look like a tourist and if you wear it at home you look like an arrogant ****. Get a college one (i have one) because you can wear it anywhere. If you rly want something with cambridge on go for the scarf which has cambridge on one side and your college on the other (its slightly more pricey than just cam/your college at £35).
Reply 539
Original post by conorm11
Yeah i think so. What subject for you?

HSPS, you?

Latest

Trending

Trending