The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Buongiorno
Oh okay thanks :smile: and how often do people go?

Maybe 6 times a term at max? Depending on your friend group and societies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Hypocrism
Maybe 6 times a term at max? Depending on your friend group and societies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went about once a week so it definitely varies! It was always way more than six times a term if you included the formals I went to at other colleges as well.
Original post by Zoedotdot
I went about once a week so it definitely varies! It was always way more than six times a term if you included the formals I went to at other colleges as well.

Oh you arts students and your spare time :tongue:
Oh you arts students and your spare time :tongue:

The biggest formal goer I have ever met was my neighbour in first year and one of my closest friends, who was an engineer. In my first term I barely ever saw her because she was ALWAYS at formal, like every night. It was mental!

But yes, I think the free time probably helped. Also in final year you go a bit mental on the formals as they suddenly seem horribly limited. I didn't go to anything like as many in my second year because I spent too much time working! First year was about once a week though I'd say.

How's second year going by the way? I find it so weird not being there anymore :frown:
The biggest formal goer I have ever met was my neighbour in first year and one of my closest friends, who was an engineer. In my first term I barely ever saw her because she was ALWAYS at formal, like every night. It was mental!

But yes, I think the free time probably helped. Also in final year you go a bit mental on the formals as they suddenly seem horribly limited. I didn't go to anything like as many in my second year because I spent too much time working! First year was about once a week though I'd say.

How's second year going by the way? I find it so weird not being there anymore :frown:

Really good! I started rowing and I'm having a much better time in Barnwell than SC. Plus anatomy was always the worst thing about 1st year, and it's gone now :woo:
Really good! I started rowing and I'm having a much better time in Barnwell than SC. Plus anatomy was always the worst thing about 1st year, and it's gone now :woo:

If you end up in Barnwell with friends then it's an awesome place to live! You haven't ended up in one of the rooms with the manky orange wardrobes though have you? Rowing always seemed like one of those great things to do but I'm not an early mornings, cold water or exercise kind of person so gave it a wide berth :p: I remember everyone hating anatomy, but I also remember everyone hating learning all the drugs in second year so I hope you're actually enjoying that... Third year is the best by all accounts anyway so you have that to look forward to :biggrin:
If you end up in Barnwell with friends then it's an awesome place to live! You haven't ended up in one of the rooms with the manky orange wardrobes though have you? Rowing always seemed like one of those great things to do but I'm not an early mornings, cold water or exercise kind of person so gave it a wide berth :p: I remember everyone hating anatomy, but I also remember everyone hating learning all the drugs in second year so I hope you're actually enjoying that... Third year is the best by all accounts anyway so you have that to look forward to :biggrin:

We've colonised almost the entire place, there's nobody in the entire house I wasn't at least friendly with in first year, it was a really great bit of luck. And I have a decent room despite being 20th to the bottom, and my own balcony :rolleyes:

Drugs are so much more interesting than anatomy! It actually seems relevant, most of the anatomy I've forgotten already :P
I've heard that Emma's bar is student-run, is it true that you can earn a little money working there?
Original post by Buongiorno
I've heard that Emma's bar is student-run, is it true that you can earn a little money working there?

Yes. Since it's working for a college, the usual discouragement/ban against working during term time does not apply.
Why is Pembroke better?? :s
Wait when you go there will we have time for our friends who didn't get in?
Original post by Faith221297
Wait when you go there will we have time for our friends who didn't get in?

If they are at Cam you can see them. If they visit from their uni it's fine. Else you probably won't see them except in holidays. Varying based on subject and dedication but this is true for a lot of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, does anyone knows what the LGBT side of things at Emmanuel is like? I've got an offer for October and I'm a bit apprehensive about it all.
Original post by zeitroman
Hey, does anyone knows what the LGBT side of things at Emmanuel is like? I've got an offer for October and I'm a bit apprehensive about it all.

I wouldn't be apprehensive :smile: Cambridge is probably one of the best universities in the country to be LGBT as there seems to be a thriving community. I can't vouch specifically for that side of things at college because my LGBT friends just did pretty much the same things the rest of us did, except for occasionally going out to the LGBT nights. What things are you apprehensive about? :smile:
I wouldn't be apprehensive :smile: Cambridge is probably one of the best universities in the country to be LGBT as there seems to be a thriving community. I can't vouch specifically for that side of things at college because my LGBT friends just did pretty much the same things the rest of us did, except for occasionally going out to the LGBT nights. What things are you apprehensive about? :smile:

I can't speak for Emma, but I'm happy to chat about the uni-wide LGBT scene if you have specific questions. :smile:

EDIT: I can also tell you about my college's activity/events, which is likely to be fairly similar.

I guess I'm just worried that being in such a small community will lead to everything getting a bit gossipy and parochial. And also the fact that being surrounded by so many people that are so driven will just create a bit of a hothouse environment. I'm sure I'm just being pessimistic though.
Original post by Tortious
I can't speak for Emma, but I'm happy to chat about the uni-wide LGBT scene if you have specific questions. :smile:

EDIT: I can also tell you about my college's activity/events, which is likely to be fairly similar.

How active is the uni-wide LGBT scene? Does the size of the student population compensate for Cambridge being relatively small? What are your college events, if you don't mind me asking? Do you do a lot that overlaps with the other colleges? Sorry for bombarding you with questions like this. :s-smilie:
How active is the uni-wide LGBT scene? Does the size of the student population compensate for Cambridge being relatively small? What are your college events, if you don't mind me asking? Do you do a lot that overlaps with the other colleges? Sorry for bombarding you with questions like this. :s-smilie:

No problem - I'll PM you in a bit (I'm fairly identifiable!) since Call the Midwife is about to start. :tea:
2nd year room ballot coming up.

Anybody got experience of New Court or Old court rooms? I'll probably be going to one or the other (bottom 20 in ballot) and I'm really undecided. Are New Court rooms worth the price? Are the Old Court rooms' inconvenience really annoying?

Also, do old court rooms have cooking facilities?

Latest

Trending

Trending