The Student Room Group

Can anyone recommend me any good...

German Books to learn German from scratch really...

I want a book that's more heavy on grammar and the likes, and also a book that explains well with some examples, maybe?

I have some knowledge in French mainly. And some Italian and Spnaish and Welsh. The first two are romance and so won't be much help, and I can't imagine welsh being much help either.

So any good German books, thanks!
I'd recommend you Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto but.. :teehee:
Reply 2
Original post by Simple Symphony

But what?:wink:

I just ordered German Living... Hopefully the right one :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Simple Symphony

:lol:
Reply 4
Um, well I like Hammer: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammers-German-Grammar-Usage-HRG/dp/1444120166

And Schaum's: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaums-Outline-German-Grammar-4ed/dp/0071615679/ref=pd_sim_b_7

German's hard, dude. And I've been learning it for 11 years, half my life :eek: How come you're gonna learn it on your own?

Not that that's a bad thing mind, it's just I've tried self-teach things myself in the past and I've never been that successful :cry2:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
As Rachel has stated, 'Hammer's German Grammar and Usage' and 'Schaum's Outline of German Grammar' are both good grammar books. If you were considering buying a grammar book however, as a beginner, I would recommend Schaum's, because Hammer's is rather 'hammery'. Also, Schaum's has exercises which follow each grammar point covered, so is very helpful at putting theory into practice.

If you're a complete beginner, then I would probably suggest a coursebook such as 'Willkommen!' which also has an accompanying activity book. This book, as with many other similar books covers all of the beginners / intermediate grammar points and takes you to about Higher GCSE / AS Level standard.

I would also suggest a dictionary (the size of which would depend on what level you hope to achieve!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by rachel.h
Um, well I like Hammer: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammers-German-Grammar-Usage-HRG/dp/1444120166

And Schaum's: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaums-Outline-German-Grammar-4ed/dp/0071615679/ref=pd_sim_b_7

German's hard, dude. And I've been learning it for 11 years, half my life :eek: How come you're gonna learn it on your own?

Not that that's a bad thing mind, it's just I've tried self-teach things myself in the past and I've never been that successful :cry2:

Thanks for that!

It is so much harder than the others I'm learning! I also teach myself Italian, Spanish, and French too really... Although I have a teacher for that. The others I don't :frown:

Original post by alouette-
As Rachel has stated, 'Hammer's German Grammar and Usage' and 'Schaum's Outline of German Grammar' are both good grammar books. If you were considering buying a grammar book however, as a beginner, I would recommend Schaum's, because Hammer's is rather 'hammery'. Also, Schaum's has exercises which follow each grammar point covered, so is very helpful at putting theory into practice.

If you're a complete beginner, then I would probably suggest a coursebook such as 'Willkommen!' which also has an accompanying activity book. This book, as with many other similar books covers all of the beginners / intermediate grammar points and takes you to about Higher GCSE / AS Level standard.

I would also suggest a dictionary (the size of which would depend on what level you hope to achieve!

Aaah, thank you!

In terms of fluency, my time scale is to be able to make basic sentences and communicate simply and get by... By the end of summer, before I start year 12!

And I want to become more fluent before university :moon:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Thanks for that!

It is so much harder than the others I'm learning! I also teach myself Italian, Spanish, and French too really... Although I have a teacher for that. The others I don't :frown:

Aaah, thank you!

In terms of fluency, my time scale is to be able to make basic sentences and communicate simply and get by... By the end of summer, before I start year 12!

And I want to become more fluent before university :moon:

I'm currently learning German, it's actually not so difficult, the grammar is surprisingly flexible. Good luck :biggrin: Atm I'm drilling vocab whilst learning grammar and familiarising myself with the language using Tell Me More a language learning software.
Reply 8
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I'm currently learning German, it's actually not so difficult, the grammar is surprisingly flexible. Good luck :biggrin: Atm I'm drilling vocab whilst learning grammar and familiarising myself with the language using Tell Me More a language learning software.

Do you have experience with any other languages?

Thanks! I think vocab is the biggest issue... Learning it all :tongue:
Do you have experience with any other languages?

Thanks! I think vocab is the biggest issue... Learning it all :tongue:

I know quite a few non European languages, Hindi, Bengali, Urdu, Arabic. English, a bit of french (got bored) learning German and Japanese atm :smile:

I'm also still learning English, at an advanced level for my vocabulary. I learn around 25 a day, a few examples from this morning are, abrogate, cajole, abjure, allay etc... it's really quite fun :p:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I know quite a few non European languages, Hindi, Bengali, Urdu, Arabic. English, a bit of french (got bored) learning German and Japanese atm :smile:

:eek:

Afne bala assoyn nee?:tongue:

I don't know any formal Bengali... And definitely not the others :pierre:

Japanese is awesome!:eek: I want to learn Mandarin one day...
:eek:

Afne bala assoyn nee?:tongue:

I don't know any formal Bengali... And definitely not the others :pierre:

Japanese is awesome!:eek: I want to learn Mandarin one day...

Hehe, bala asee :biggrin:

Japanese is very awesome, very difficult, quite pointless if you aren't immersed in the culture, but I chose Japanese after long consideration between itself and Mandarin, and knew I would never use Mandarin, whereas I listen to Japanese music and watch Japanese shows on a daily basis :p:
Reply 12
Hehe, bala asee :biggrin:

Japanese is very awesome, very difficult, quite pointless if you aren't immersed in the culture, but I chose Japanese after long consideration between itself and Mandarin, and knew I would never use Mandarin, whereas I listen to Japanese music and watch Japanese shows on a daily basis :p:

:teehee:

Aah, I see! Well, I definitely want to learn Mandarin one day, I can use it in China then as well :teeth:

Il y a beaucoup de langues que j'aimerais apprendre... :frown:

I want to be a polyglot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending