The Student Room Group

DSA issue

Hey, basically i've been award my student loan, sent of the paper work etc

During this time i've been looking into getting tested for dyslexia, which i've always thought i might suffer from.

Now if it turns out that i do indeed have dyslexia and am entitled to DSA would i be able to get what ever i'm entitled to even though i've already applied for my regular student loan? Or will i have to wait until year two?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by dave_123
Hey, basically i've been award my student loan, sent of the paper work etc

During this time i've been looking into getting tested for dyslexia, which i've always thought i might suffer from.

Now if it turns out that i do indeed have dyslexia and am entitled to DSA would i be able to get what ever i'm entitled to even though i've already applied for my regular student loan? Or will i have to wait until year two?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

You will get anything you need to help with your disability. You don't get extra money - you'll get things like a recording device, a note taker, a mentor, a laptop - things like that.

You will need to have a needs assessment done, and anything you need will be given to you once the assessment has been carried out.
You can apply at any point for DSA, although I think if you apply after March some award bodies (I believe SAAS for instance) won't consider it any funding until the start of the next academic year (E.g. the September in the same year).
If you find out you have Dyslexia then get in contact with your Student Disability Team or the Student Advice, and they will sort out you getting a needs assessment and help you with the process.
Reply 4
Thanks folks, i was kind of worried i'd shot my self in the foot by already applying but seems not! :smile:

Original post by puddledancer
If you find out you have Dyslexia then get in contact with your Student Disability Team or the Student Advice, and they will sort out you getting a needs assessment and help you with the process.

I've contacted them today and they have said that they would help to test, fund part of my testing once i register as a student with them (don't start until September) but if i want to get the DSA funding i'd have to do it my self before then.

I understand there is more than just money at stake, i'd love to get help with my spelling and obviously anything that makes life easier is always welcomed.

Cheers
Reply 5
Does anyone know roughly the sort of help the DSA give financially to a dyslexic individual?

I'm keen to get the test done but at 350-450 pounds i'm sure you can understand my un-ease with part with such a large lump sum in the summer before i go off to uni...

My thinking it that over the length of the course it would pay for it's self?
Reply 6
Does anyone know roughly the sort of help the DSA give financially to a dyslexic individual?

I'm keen to get the test done but at 350-450 pounds i'm sure you can understand my un-ease with part with such a large lump sum in the summer before i go off to uni...

My thinking it that over the length of the course it would pay for it's self?

It would vary from student to student depending on what your difficulties are. But it's things like extra time in exams, a note taker, dictaphone, laptop / desktop with software. I think some Dyslexic students may have mentoring sessions too.
Extra time in exams is nothing to with DSA. It is between you and the uni.
Original post by balotelli12
Extra time in exams is nothing to with DSA. It is between you and the uni.

It can however be recommended by the access centre along with your other DSA support.
Reply 9
Original post by rmhumphries
It can however be recommended by the access centre along with your other DSA support.

Think it depends on the uni. At my undergrad uni, all DSA recipients were automatically given more time in exams. I had a real argument with them as my problem's physical rather than cognitive - dislocated thumb makes hand-writing legibly for three hours at speed, impossible. Using a word processor for exams resolved the issue and meant I could work at a normal speed, so I felt that having extra time would give me an unfair advantage. I really had to push to get them to remove my extra time allowance and let me complete the exams in the same amount of time as non-DSA people.

Depends on each individual organisation, so when in doubt, check with their Student Support folks for advice. DSA does seem to be the benchmark of proof for providing any kind of help, unless you have something sudden and obvious like a broken wrist.
Original post by Klix88
Think it depends on the uni. At my undergrad uni, all DSA recipients were automatically given more time in exams. I had a real argument with them as my problem's physical rather than cognitive - dislocated thumb makes hand-writing legibly for three hours at speed, impossible. Using a word processor for exams resolved the issue and meant I could work at a normal speed, so I felt that having extra time would give me an unfair advantage. I really had to push to get them to remove my extra time allowance and let me complete the exams in the same amount of time as non-DSA people.

Depends on each individual organisation, so when in doubt, check with their Student Support folks for advice. DSA does seem to be the benchmark of proof for providing any kind of help, unless you have something sudden and obvious like a broken wrist.

What a weird uni policy. Not every disabled student needs extra time. Normally if you use a word processor for exams, you undergo a test to see how fast you can type. This is so they can decide whether you need any extra time.
Reply 11
Just an update on this, i'm going to get the testing done once i get to Uni, basically having looked at my funds i can't / will be very hard pressed to pay for the test myself. I would have been fine if i hand have found out i'm losing my job... but hoe hum such as life.

I've been told i'll have to pay £100 towards it which is fine and i'm doing a 4 year extended degree as it is so i'll still get 3 years DSA support...

Thanks for your help!

I've been told i'll have to pay £100 towards it which is fine and i'm doing a 4 year extended degree as it is so i'll still get 3 years DSA support...

Thanks for your help!

You should get 4 years support for DSA.
Reply 13
Original post by OU Student
You should get 4 years support for DSA.

aaa really? I thought as i'd not be tested until September (ish) i'd have missed the cut off to apply for DSA?

Good news if not!
aaa really? I thought as i'd not be tested until September (ish) i'd have missed the cut off to apply for DSA?

Good news if not!

Na, it will take about 1-3 months for the claim to be processed, and to have the assessment centre, and so on; but you will get funding during your first year. Only if you didn't apply until about April to apply (in your first year, so 2014) you might have to wait until September 2014 before you get your stuff.
Reply 15
Original post by rmhumphries
Na, it will take about 1-3 months for the claim to be processed, and to have the assessment centre, and so on; but you will get funding during your first year. Only if you didn't apply until about April to apply (in your first year, so 2014) you might have to wait until September 2014 before you get your stuff.

Aaa right great, well i've already contacted the University about it so i'll get straight onto it when I arrive in September!

Cheers!
Reply 16
Original post by OU Student
What a weird uni policy. Not every disabled student needs extra time. Normally if you use a word processor for exams, you undergo a test to see how fast you can type. This is so they can decide whether you need any extra time.

I think it's because at that particular uni, over 90% of DSA people had dyslexia meaning that the support system was geared towards dealing with that specific issue. The support people were very good at that aspect, but if your disability was something else, they were pretty much at sea. Certainly nobody had any kind of word processing speed test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending