The Student Room Group

I am 24 y/o, live at home, and I am unemployed. Will this hinder dating success?

So yeah, basically what it says in the title. I am 24, unemployed, and I live at home. Without a job I can't afford to move out, but I am trying to find work, it's just tough at the moment for everyone. I handed out 30 cvs this week to different companies, even companies that were not hiring.

Anyway, how do you feel about a guy who is in this situation? Would it be better if I mentioned nothing to the girl about my situation and let her judge me for me?

I planned to go to University 3 years ago, but then I decided against it because I wasn't sure I wanted to study the chosen subject at degree level, so instead of wasting money, I didn't go. Since then, I've been in and out of different jobs, but nothing has kept me interested so far. I just really don't know what kind of job I would like.

I love acting and have been part of an amateur drama group before. I was considering drama school, but it's such an unpredictable industry that I could either graduate with employment or be jobless looking for work for a long time.

I have seriously considered becoming a gigolo to women. I saw an advert in the back of a paper and I seriously did consider it, but my friend said they are mostly old business women, so maybe not. That is how desperate I have become! lol it's not actually funny any more.

Anyway, back to the issue in hand. What are your thoughts, girls?
Reply 1
Not for the lack of a job. I wouldn't date anyone who hadn't been to university.
Original post by Chadya
Not for the lack of a job. I wouldn't date anyone who hadn't been to university.

That would be your lost.

Personally, I don't care whether you have a degree of not. I care more on how you'd treat me.
Original post by Chadya

What an arse you sound.
It doesn't really matter if your unemployed or live with your parents, what matters is your personality that's what will attract the girls,but if a girl does ask don't lie about it just be honest :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The most intelligent/streetwise/common sense people I have met in my life so far, are the ones that never went to uni.
Some of the ones that I did meet in uni, made me think, how did they get there in the first place? I wouldn't employ them.
(edited 11 years ago)
How tall are you and do you lift?
Reply 7
I dont think a job would come into it initially- if I liked someone I liked them for being them! However if things got more serious then maybe a job would be more important 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Learn to give really good oral sex?

So you're looking for a new job because your previous one didn't work out although you're playing the numbers game and trying to stand out from the crowd which you know how to do because you know about presentation and interesting dialogue and that sort of thing so you know how to build interest and even cause your audience to enjoy the experience. And once you get back into the rhythm of work and find that you have quite a lot of spare time you'll be doing your best to break into the theatre inudstry. Everyone has a dream and you'd like to realise yours however you think that life will turn out just fine because you're willing to work hard and you're a fun, friendly person.

Can your CV be a better initial sales presentation of you?
I agree with poster 2.

A degree is the minimum requirement, I would also check which uni they went to, and remind them anything other than a 2:1 or higher from a non-Oxbridge institution is simply laughable and shouldn't even be called a degree.

I would also need proof, as I have seen girls get nervous around my demands and lie to try to paper over the cracks and cover their back.

I am still single, btw.
Reply 10
Well it seems to have played on your confidence, leading you to make this thread.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I agree with poster 2.

A degree is the minimum requirement, I would also check which uni they went to, and remind them anything other than a 2:1 or higher from a non-Oxbridge institution is simply laughable and shouldn't even be called a degree.

I would also need proof, as I have seen girls get nervous around my demands and lie to try to paper over the cracks and cover their back.

I am still single, btw.

like who? your cousins
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

I am still single, btw.

Who would have guessed?
Original post by WhiteWalker
So yeah, basically what it says in the title. I am 24, unemployed, and I live at home. Without a job I can't afford to move out, but I am trying to find work, it's just tough at the moment for everyone. I handed out 30 cvs this week to different companies, even companies that were not hiring.

Anyway, how do you feel about a guy who is in this situation? Would it be better if I mentioned nothing to the girl about my situation and let her judge me for me?

I planned to go to University 3 years ago, but then I decided against it because I wasn't sure I wanted to study the chosen subject at degree level, so instead of wasting money, I didn't go. Since then, I've been in and out of different jobs, but nothing has kept me interested so far. I just really don't know what kind of job I would like.

I love acting and have been part of an amateur drama group before. I was considering drama school, but it's such an unpredictable industry that I could either graduate with employment or be jobless looking for work for a long time.

I have seriously considered becoming a gigolo to women. I saw an advert in the back of a paper and I seriously did consider it, but my friend said they are mostly old business women, so maybe not. That is how desperate I have become! lol it's not actually funny any more.

Anyway, back to the issue in hand. What are your thoughts, girls?

The majority will not be honest with you but I will be.

Yes.

Welcome to materialistic capitalism of postmodern nature, where middle class admires their masters and spits on the real wealth creator.
Reply 14
Hey, hey, hey, we aren't a different race, you know? Haha... And that girl was being honest, so that isn't a big deal. I respect everyone's opinions.
Reply 15
Original post by CodeJack
Well it seems to have played on your confidence, leading you to make this thread.

Well, as I'm getting older I'm starting to think more about the future. God, I'm sounding like a 40 year old, but you know what I mean. You don't want to look at the future and think "what the hell am I going to do" It does play on my mind. Just because of the employment situation alone, my desperation is kind of sad lol e.g. the gigolo consideration.
Reply 16
The only thing that could possibly be an issue is if you weren't looking for work and were happy living off the state with no hopes for a better future (I'm not saying you're like this)

The fact you live with your parents, don't have a degree and are unemployed (but trying to find employment) wouldn't personally bother me. Then again I am 26, have just moved back home and will shortly becoming a skint student so I'm in no position to judge :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by WhiteWalker
Well, as I'm getting older I'm starting to think more about the future. God, I'm sounding like a 40 year old, but you know what I mean. You don't want to look at the future and think "what the hell am I going to do" It does play on my mind. Just because of the employment situation alone, my desperation is kind of sad lol e.g. the gigolo consideration.

Make sure you're careful - many girls are really stupid about this criterion - I remember one seemed to think it was incredible that I did not live with my parents when I was 20, which is kind of obvious since I'm an immigrant so naturally it would be impossible for me to live with my mother whilst being a migrant simultaneously. Duh :smile:

In traditional countries like France, Spain, Italy and Germany it is perfectly normal to live with one's parents at the age of 24. Also in Spain most people between the age of 18 and 24 are officially unemployed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending