The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2520
hmm. could be significantly worse. i'm generally alright with it.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
What happens if you fail all your modules? will you get kicked out?
2 exams a week I'm more than happy with. Makes a welcome change to A level's 4-6ish per week.
ha yes i have one exam a week after hand in and then another 10 days after that. finished on 10th of May. ****ing FAB!
Reply 2524
Is it only me who hasn't been enrolled on the Study Abroad Team preparation course on Moodle?

I'm fine with my exam timetable (although there's a two-week gap between two exams), but I would have preferred if my last Romanian exams were scheduled earlier. It seems that I'll finish slightly later than last year.
I finished early last year compared to first and second years, think it went something like 22 May, 21 May and 17 May. Abroad I was still slogging till mid June, bad times.
Reply 2526
Original post by Ivanka
Is it only me who hasn't been enrolled on the Study Abroad Team preparation course on Moodle?

I'm fine with my exam timetable (although there's a two-week gap between two exams), but I would have preferred if my last Romanian exams were scheduled earlier. It seems that I'll finish slightly later than last year.

i thought one enrolled oneself...
Reply 2527
What do you all put on your CV or job applications or anything else for UCL?

just UCL, or University College London, both, or do you even do it like UCAS and put University College London (University of London)?
Reply 2528
Original post by PJ991

just UCL, or University College London, both, or do you even do it like UCAS and put University College London (University of London)?

I think University College London is enough...
Reply 2529
Original post by PJ991

the university of central lancashire frequently likes to pretend it's UCL though :redface:
Reply 2530
Original post by ily_em
I think University College London is enough...

Yep, I put University College London, too (as if that was a decisive opinion to anyone)

Original post by nb0
the university of central lancashire frequently likes to pretend it's UCL though :redface:

Lol, never thought about that! :smile:
Reply 2531
I always used to put UCL on part time job applications. People never knew what it was anyway.

I saw someone at an open day with a UCLan bag once near Foster Court. Blew my mind.
Reply 2532
Original post by PJ991

I put University College London, just to avoid confusion. I usually apply for such things in Czech environment and although there's a growing number of people that become aware of the university, I don't want them to dig through Google with difficulties to find out what my uni is like...

(Once when I went for an internship interview I saw an interviewer sitting by his computer whose screen was displaying a wiki article on UCL. Made me smile.)
Reply 2533
where can an eu graduate student stay??????????????????????????????????????????
Reply 2534
should get out of this ****ing union
Reply 2535
Has anybody done the TEFL course unit? Would you recommend it?
Reply 2536
Original post by JoannaMilano
Do you want to do it just for interest, or to actually teach abroad? I don't know much about this course in particular, but does it have an assessed practical component (classroom observation)? If not, it's pretty worthless for getting decent jobs teaching abroad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh potentially for teaching abroad seeing as I have no idea what I want to do after uni. It has assessed teaching and you can do it just as a UCL course unit or also choose to do a CELTA qualification as well, if that means anything to you?
Reply 2537
Original post by ily_em
Yeh potentially for teaching abroad seeing as I have no idea what I want to do after uni. It has assessed teaching and you can do it just as a UCL course unit or also choose to do a CELTA qualification as well, if that means anything to you?

the course unit afaik includes the celta unit. however i think the best thing to do is to spend £1000 and take the month long version of the course in june. this is yearly and based int he language centre. you get the celta qualification. and you don't have to spend a year of your life doing it when you'd rather do something directly relevant to your degree (that's my reason for waiting). however those i know who have done the course as a course unit really liked it. yes you definitely have teaching in a classroom experience, btw.
Reply 2538
Original post by nb0
the course unit afaik includes the celta unit. however i think the best thing to do is to spend £1000 and take the month long version of the course in june. this is yearly and based int he language centre. you get the celta qualification. and you don't have to spend a year of your life doing it when you'd rather do something directly relevant to your degree (that's my reason for waiting). however those i know who have done the course as a course unit really liked it. yes you definitely have teaching in a classroom experience, btw.

Yes that is my main concern. My degree is linguistics so it is related, but it will be the final year of my degree. If it is hard to get a good grade in TEFL I'd rather do some easier courses as my optional unit.
Reply 2539
Original post by ily_em
Yes that is my main concern. My degree is linguistics so it is related, but it will be the final year of my degree. If it is hard to get a good grade in TEFL I'd rather do some easier courses as my optional unit.

to be honest with you, what you might consider is doing the british council teaching assistantship after you graduate. you need no tefl qualification. therefore if you like it, go back to ucl and do the month long celta qualification. i'm no expert but i'm not sure how important that is when it comes to getting an english teaching job abroad, i'd have thought in lots of places being able to speak english and having that year as a british council teacher would be enough, but i don't know. i'm sure that often one does need the celta qualification.

personally, i intend to do the british council assistantship programme in germany, austria or switzerland. i'll earn money (for my masters degree) and get really good at german (fingers crossed) and this will tell me if it's worth it to spend the next few years teaching english in a more independent, professional context, ie needing a qualification.
the reason i am not doing the tefl course is that by my final year, there isn't any space, what with two units of language, one unit of dissertation. i want to spend the last unit free doing stuff relevant to my masters/my actual interests, rather than concerning myself with jobs which is surely a subject for after i've finished bumming around as a student/itinerant english teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending