The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Halls - recommendations?

Hi there,

I should be coming to Sussex in September as a postgraduate. I'm thinking I'd prefer to be in halls as it's better for meeting new people.

Can anyone recommend any halls in particular? Or give me a quick low-down on each?

Ideally I'm after somewhere with a good work/play balance and an en-suite. A double bed would be ideal too (too tall for a single), but I'm not sure if Sussex 'do' double beds...

Any help appreciated!
Lewes court phase 2 ticks all your boxes and is the cheapest en-suite.
However you won't find a double bed, but I'm 6"3 and fit in the bed fine and it really is quite a comfy bed.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
is brighthelm good for postgraduates? i really like the look of them, but have heard that some years they don't take in postgraduates? are they a good mix of students age wise?
Reply 3
Original post by thefunktopus69
Lewes court phase 2 ticks all your boxes and is the cheapest en-suite.
However you won't find a double bed, but I'm 6"3 and fit in the bed fine and it really is quite a comfy bed.

Thanks for the advice - though I think Lewes Court is undergrad and families only?
Reply 4
Hey. I'm just going to jump into this topic. I'm french and I'm going to Sussex next year as part of the ERASMUS program. I will be 21. From what I read, I understood that most of the people who are living on campus are first year. It's gotten me kind of scare to ask for an accommodation, because it could be weird to spend the year with first year students... what can you tell me about that?

Thanks !
Reply 5
Original post by melodie31
Hey. I'm just going to jump into this topic. I'm french and I'm going to Sussex next year as part of the ERASMUS program. I will be 21. From what I read, I understood that most of the people who are living on campus are first year. It's gotten me kind of scare to ask for an accommodation, because it could be weird to spend the year with first year students... what can you tell me about that?

Thanks !

So when I moved into halls for my undergrad I had similar feelings because I was 21, but to be honest: a) most of the people were 19 or 20 anyway. b) age just isn't that big an issue in practicality.

So you might find you're the oldest, but there will be plenty of people of a mixture of ages around.. It's not like school where people of different ages don't really mix.

I'm 24 now and looking to move back into halls for my postgrad. Don't really care who I live with to be honest as long as they're not an arse ;-) which is all that matters really!
Reply 6
Original post by kingkula
Hi there,

I should be coming to Sussex in September as a postgraduate. I'm thinking I'd prefer to be in halls as it's better for meeting new people.

Can anyone recommend any halls in particular? Or give me a quick low-down on each?

Ideally I'm after somewhere with a good work/play balance and an en-suite. A double bed would be ideal too (too tall for a single), but I'm not sure if Sussex 'do' double beds...

Any help appreciated!

(This is a bit late so might not be of help...)

Postgrad halls include (cheapest to most expensive):
East Slope (share bathroom and kitchen with 6/12 people but its really nice and social)
Park Village (That's where I was as an undergrad - its ok but no social area)
Brighthelm (got a nice housy feeling to it and one of my favourite accomodations)
Stanmer Court (en-suite, really nice although separated from "main" campus by the road)
Northfield (most recent, en-suite but quite far off the centre of campus)

From what you said: Stanmer should fit you :smile: No double beds though I'm afraid! And I definitely recommend halls, as an undergrad I knew a lot of postgrads living on campus :smile:

Original post by melodie31

Thanks !

(I might as well answer it all in one post haha!)
A lot of students will have taken a gap year (or two) so there won't be too much age difference - and it's a great way to meet British people and get to know Brighton with and through them! Campus life is something to be experienced in my opinion and I'm sure that you won't have any problems with accommodation there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending