The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pride
Do intelligent people make lots of money? Do they get highly-paid jobs?

Well it would be easier than a stupid person no?
Original post by EvilOfficer
Extremely intelligent - this gives you adequate capacity to obtain the potential extrinsic desires in the future. More importantly, it allows you to live, not only to exist, as a free thinking intellectual.

Easy to say when you're both already!

For some reason I'm extremely attracted to girls with exceptional intelligence and believe it or not: they automatically become better physically looking as a result of their educational achievement. It's almost like the demand graph in economics.
Extremely good looking - it is easy to build on your intelligence if you are willing ot put the effort in, but it is not very easy to suddenly become very good looking :redface:
Reply 123
Intelligence. Even if I'm ugly as sin, I can use my intelligence to seduce the ladies with words
:colone:
Original post by Elizandra
I'd go for intelligence. Being intelligent will always outsmart being beautiful if you assume that intelligence prevents you from falling for beauty and take better decisions when dealing with beautiful people which influence perception, as we automatically assume that beautiful people are more likeable than uglier peers (scientific fact here :wink: ) Plus, if you are socially intelligent, you will find ways to charm people exactly as beauty does and thus ripe of the same "benefits", sounds manipuative, I know. Apart from this, beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder... what's more for intelligence is also that it is long-lasting. Beauty (if = youth) vanishes rather more quickly than intelligence. Once you've reached the zenith of your beauty, it will decline. However, you could always improve your intelligence by learning something new. Even if intelligence decreases in old age, it lasted longer than beauty. Talking about a very superficial aspect of beauty here. :smile:

tl;dr
Original post by im so academic
Good looks may get you an orgasm, but it won't get you into Oxbridge.

LOOOL that cracked me up
although having said that, good looks (or showing cleavage) can get you a job without the effort required for a top degree
Reply 126
How about you're so intelligent that you can use a Jedi mind trick on everyone to make them think you're a model?

But in fairness you could also be so good looking that you convince the world's finest intellectuals to be smitten over you and donate their brain to you. In some horribly shallow dystopia maybe. :P
I think a lot of people are mistaking intelligence to mean "will get a good job" or "is more knowledgable". Similarly it does not necessarily make you wise and it does not make your personality more attractive.

You can be as intelligent as you like, but if you don't have the willpower to put effort into using it or developing it then nothing will come of it. Intelligence means you have more potential, or your potential may be easier for you to realise but it does not mean that you will instantly get fantastic grades and stroll into a well paid job or that everyone will swoon when they sense your aura of intelligence.

The attractive thing about "good looks" is that they are immediate and passive. You can put effort into improving your appearance but a huge part of attractiveness is inherent/ natural.
Extremely intelligent because a good personality can wash away the flaws in a person and everything about you will become beautiful.
]

Original post by im so academic
Don't insult my intelligence. I am aware that intelligence is not limited to just the education system. :rolleyes:

Anyway, why? Females need to be good-looking.

If you've ever seen some celebrities without makeup, you can see that all it takes is a non-objectionable base (so, mostly average, some nice features) a good workout schedule (with money can come dieticians and personal trainers) and a flattering sense of style.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not even a question I would think twice about before answering. I'd choose extreme intelligence even if the price I had to pay was to be completely deformed.

With extreme intelligence you could solve world hunger and develop technology to prolong and improve everyone's and your own life. No one needs appearances if they can achieve that.

Edit: Also, I don't really understand vanity. Surely it's much more fun to look at beautiful things than to be looked at as a beautiful thing? You don't get to enjoy looking at yourself as much as other people do... it seems to me like a bit of a sick and twisted thing to gain pleasure from just the way people look at you in awe because of how you look.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 131
Definitely intelligent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 132
Extremely intelligent! Can do alot more things with that
Original post by Sheldor
]

If you've ever seen some celebrities without makeup, you can see that all it takes is a non-objectionable base (so, mostly average, some nice features) a good workout schedule (with money can come dieticians and personal trainers) and a flattering sense of style.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They still look average or even pretty without make-up.
Original post by tory88
I'd go with intelligence - interesting conversation is more important to me than looking good.

You do realise that if you want interesting conversation then you'd need to be stupider for more things to surprise you? If you're more intelligent then you'll find more topics of conversation boring/lacking in substance.
Reply 135
Original post by Dragonfly07
You do realise that if you want interesting conversation then you'd need to be stupider for more things to surprise you? If you're more intelligent then you'll find more topics of conversation boring/lacking in substance.

If you're more intelligent you can cover a wider range of topics more in depth and with more reasoned argument. Therefore more interesting.
Reply 136
This is a really difficult question because you're basically asking which one I'd rather give up.
Since I have found I work with a lot of morons I could probably do my job without as much intelligence, but would giving that up make me stupid or just averagely intelligent?
Original post by tory88
If you're more intelligent you can cover a wider range of topics more in depth and with more reasoned argument. Therefore more interesting.

You might become more interesting to other people, but other people will become less interesting to you because they wouldn't be able to uphold the conversation to the same standard as you...
Extremely intelligent. If I was, I'd be able to get like 14 A*s in my GCSEs, 4 A*s (including presumably General Studies, if I was extremely intelligent I'd probably be in the gifted and talented groups that offer General Studies to people) in my A Levels, and be able to go onto Oxbridge, or LSE, or Harvard or something, get a degree in Law or Medicine or something, end up becoming a millionaire because I keep on saving lives and winning cases or whatever. And everyone knows that looks don't matter when you have enough money, so I'd have the best of both worlds.
If my personality stayed the same, then I'd rather have extreme intelligence. Nothing I currently do or enjoy doing would benefit from being more attractive, so apart from getting more looks from women when I occasionally go out in public, there'd be no benefit.

Latest

Trending

Trending