The Student Room Group

Am I doing the right thing?

Help
This might just be because the time when I'm leaving college is getting closer and I'm getting scared like most people, but I'm having second thoughts.
I've applied to uni and have heard back from 2 out of 5, with one offer and one rejection. I cancelled one of the others (as they were being irritating) and I am putting off going to interview to my last choice as they are quite far away and it would be expensive; and I have not yet heard from my first choice. So while being worried I might not hear from my first choice and won't have the money to interview with my last choice I am also starting to question whether I want to go to university at all. I have applied for fine art courses and I'm wondering if it'll get me anywhere. (not being arrogant) But when I was at high school I got good grades and I could have chosen to do pretty much anything but I chose art, now I'm wondering if I've sold myself short? There is a certain stigma attached to being an art student and that is that you're not the most intelligent, this is something I've experience, even from art teachers and I'm worried this means I won't get a good job when I leave uni. This has got me wondering if I even want to go at all. I feel I only applied in the first place because my college pushed me towards it and I didn't give it much thought, only basing my decision on what I enjoy not what was best. Any advice?
Reply 1
You should do what you enjoy the most doing, and if you really enjoy it, it will get you somewhere. I wanted to study literature at uni but eventually I ended up being coerced into studying politics. Sure, I write books in my free time but it's definitely not the same as doing something which you really like. The only precaution which I would take, if I were you, is to study languages or music outside school, because if you come out of uni with good grades and knowing 3 or 4 languages you'll definitely get somewhere :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Bellis
Help
This might just be because the time when I'm leaving college is getting closer and I'm getting scared like most people, but I'm having second thoughts.
I've applied to uni and have heard back from 2 out of 5, with one offer and one rejection. I cancelled one of the others (as they were being irritating) and I am putting off going to interview to my last choice as they are quite far away and it would be expensive; and I have not yet heard from my first choice. So while being worried I might not hear from my first choice and won't have the money to interview with my last choice I am also starting to question whether I want to go to university at all. I have applied for fine art courses and I'm wondering if it'll get me anywhere. (not being arrogant) But when I was at high school I got good grades and I could have chosen to do pretty much anything but I chose art, now I'm wondering if I've sold myself short? There is a certain stigma attached to being an art student and that is that you're not the most intelligent, this is something I've experience, even from art teachers and I'm worried this means I won't get a good job when I leave uni. This has got me wondering if I even want to go at all. I feel I only applied in the first place because my college pushed me towards it and I didn't give it much thought, only basing my decision on what I enjoy not what was best. Any advice?

Why do you want to go to university
Why do you want to study art

If you do not have good answers to these questions then I would suggest that you consider withdrawing and taking a gap year before deciding what to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending