The Student Room Group

How to get to New York cheap?

I know there are quite a lot of eager travellers on here, and quite a lot who have been to New York.

What airline have you flown with and where from in the UK? what price do you generally pay?

The only reasonable flights I can find are indirect and take a total of like 24 hours with the waiting and changes. Changes are in weird places too. I'm not too keen on that. However, direct ones are so expensive!

Is there a trick for finding reasonably priced flights, or do you just pay the money?
Don't know what prices you consider cheap, but you can get direct return flights from London or Manchester for about £450, that is pretty good. Just check expedia/last minute
Try travelsupermarket.com - it usually comes up with lots of different options

Also it depends what time of year you're planning to go. Flights should generally be cheaper in the winter (excluding christmas period) but to be honest i'd rather pay the little bit more and go when the weather is better as it will make your trip so much more enjoyable and worth while.
Reply 3
Original post by Supertoaster
Don't know what prices you consider cheap, but you can get direct return flights from London or Manchester for about £450, that is pretty good. Just check expedia/last minute

Original post by _SussexStudent
Try travelsupermarket.com - it usually comes up with lots of different options

Also it depends what time of year you're planning to go. Flights should generally be cheaper in the winter (excluding christmas period) but to be honest i'd rather pay the little bit more and go when the weather is better as it will make your trip so much more enjoyable and worth while.

Thanks for the replies. £450 direct is what I consider cheap, yes. I have been using sky scanner as it lets me look at the whole year, but they don't show anything like £450 direct, it's more like £450 indirect :/

Looked on some other websites and direct was showing stupid for like £900. I would prefer Manchester airport as I live close, but London would be fine if there is a massive difference. I don't know really, I keep putting it off because I can't find anything decent.
Reply 4
Anything below £400 is cheap nowdays :frown:
The days of £250 return trips to NY for shopping that paid for themselves are long gone!
Original post by Airfairy
Thanks for the replies. £450 direct is what I consider cheap, yes. I have been using sky scanner as it lets me look at the whole year, but they don't show anything like £450 direct, it's more like £450 indirect :/

Looked on some other websites and direct was showing stupid for like £900. I would prefer Manchester airport as I live close, but London would be fine if there is a massive difference. I don't know really, I keep putting it off because I can't find anything decent.

Had a look at skyscanner, prices were 600 direct from manchester for me, try looking at expedia or lastminute, they were both 400-450 direct from manchester.

Original post by brabzzz
Anything below £400 is cheap nowdays :frown:
The days of £250 return trips to NY for shopping that paid for themselves are long gone!

Yea, and when you look at what the money is actually going to it's daft, for the flight I mention above its £333 tax and £124 for the flight, damn Co2 emissions :smile:
United airlines Manchester to laguardia indirect via Philadelphia - really not that bad maybe 2/3 hour connections (2 hour def needed to transfer in Philadelphia). £350 flight £150pp hotel 5nights(hotel was a dive but didn't care because of location) timesquare from expedia in December. Check sta too for student discount.
Reply 7

I paid £380 direct just a few weeks ago. I found those threw Skyscanner.

I'm not sure where you're from, but are you looking at flights leaving from London? as they'll be cheaper than if you leave from anywhere else, and also more likely to be direct. Also, are you looking for flights into any NY airport? as you'll get more results if you don't specify, and it doesn't really make a difference which you fly in to as they're all easy to get to from the city.

In direct isn't that bad of a thing, have you looked at charter flights?
Reply 9
This is one of my fav sites for finding weird flight deals...

Prague - NY - Manchester for £340
Naples - NY - Naples for £290

http://www.pelikan.cz/
(edited 11 years ago)
If you book in advance British Airways has so many decent deals to the US, including hotels.....have a look at there special offers.
Reply 11
Original post by SloaneRanger
If you book in advance British Airways has so many decent deals to the US, including hotels.....have a look at there special offers.[

you could always walk their, that'd be pretty cheap.
[QUOTE="HK786;42168021"]
Original post by SloaneRanger
If you book in advance British Airways has so many decent deals to the US, including hotels.....have a look at there special offers.[

you could always walk their, that'd be pretty cheap.

hahaha :cool:
Don't know how cheap you want to do such a trip, but you could hitch a lift on a container ship? No joke, some people have done it and for a small fee and a small bunk, just offer to do little jobs on board, make teas, sweep floors, service the crew. (Okay I'm just kidding about the last one.) Email a cargo company and ask if they'll consider it. They leave from south coast ports, or more likely for an Atlantic trip, Liverpool.

I had a mate looking into a few years ago because he was so scared of flying. In the end he didn't fancy the idea of a fortnight at sea, and decided to just take Valium, get a bit drunk, and take a transatlantic flight. True story.
Singapore Airlines, direct from Frankfurt (I live there). Company pays :biggrin:
Reply 15
I went with continental last year for £407. If your staying i'd consider a hostel like the Vanderbilt YMCA or looking for a small hotel in Brookly - they seem to be cheeper and Brooklyn is a pretty reasonable place to stay.
Reply 16
Original post by vivavangveing
United airlines Manchester to laguardia indirect via Philadelphia - really not that bad maybe 2/3 hour connections (2 hour def needed to transfer in Philadelphia). £350 flight £150pp hotel 5nights(hotel was a dive but didn't care because of location) timesquare from expedia in December. Check sta too for student discount.

Do flights actually exist between philly and NYC :0, that's really a bit ridiculous.

OP, check flights to Philladelphia , its not far away (worth a visit too, but that's irrelevant here) and then get a train or bus to NYC, which could well be quicker than waiting for connecting flights, its only 100 or so miles away.

Ate you checking all NYC airports (and Manchester UK)? I'd have thought it was a fairly major route. Check United airlines to Newark.
Yeah its about a 25 minute flight from philly to LaGuardia the plane is tiny with propellers on the front lol, but it was only about £10 extra than the man to philly flight.

Quick Reply

Latest