The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

How strict are the grade entry requirements?

I want to know how to the point they are really,
for example I want to study psychology and the grades are AAA.

How much would they mind if it was say AAB?

Also does the subjects I take stand me a better chance, for example an B in History more of a chance than someone who's got an A in media?

I predicted B in English lit and History which are both very high regarding subjects and an A in Religious Studies.

Would I have a good chance of getting in due to my subject choices?
I'd say you have a pretty good chance with AAB as long as the course isn't massively over subscribed.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by molliedyson

Also does the subjects I take stand me a better chance, for example an B in History more of a chance than someone who's got an A in media?

I predicted B in English lit and History which are both very high regarding subjects and an A in Religious Studies.

I was lucky and I was still accepted for law with criminology when I only got ABB where my offer was AAB. However, this may not be the same for everyone and will probably vary from person to person. Sorry I can't give a more definite answer.
Reply 3
okay thanks, what about subject choices? do my choices give me a good chance of getting in compared to someone with say media, dance etc?
Reply 4
Depends, I got rejected from Durham for Physics because I was predicted AAA not A*AA. But you should be okay if it isn't oversubscribed as mentioned above.
Reply 5
Original post by Fward
I was lucky and I was still accepted for law with criminology when I only got ABB where my offer was AAB. However, this may not be the same for everyone and will probably vary from person to person. Sorry I can't give a more definite answer.

No worries thanks:smile:
Reply 6
Possibly, but I honestly don't know sorry.
Reply 7
Original post by Namige
Depends, I got rejected from Durham for Physics because I was predicted AAA not A*AA. But you should be okay if it isn't oversubscribed as mentioned above.

wow that is strict!

It depends on a range of factors including the subject, the size of the course, the number of offers made, the number of people who make their offers, the quality of the rest of your application, the quality of the rest of the application of the others that missed their offers, the size and number of other courses in the department/school/faculty, the syllabus (especially early in the course), and whether you get less than ABB when you had an offer for ABB or higher (because then you fill fall into a different recruiting population which has limited numbers.

In other words, there is no way of knowing before the A level results come out and the Universities make their decisions - which is about 3 days before you get the results.
I guess it depends on how may other offer holders meet the entry requirements.
As for the subjects, I expect they took them into account when they made the original offer.
(edited 11 years ago)
My friend got in with BBB when their offer was ABB because they firmed and it wasn't over subscribed I guess.
Reply 11

I'm pretty sure for psychology you have to have the subject or/and a hardcore science, psychology at uni isn't just a social science but also involves research etc
It's quite a competitive course so you should apply to a course which is within your means :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by nespix
I'm pretty sure for psychology you have to have the subject or/and a hardcore science, psychology at uni isn't just a social science but also involves research etc
It's quite a competitive course so you should apply to a course which is within your means :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am doing psychology as my AS:smile:
Reply 13
I am doing psychology as my AS:smile:

Sorry I got confused from your previous comment but I don't think your 4th AS really matters as long as you get a C if you're thinking of going to a Russell Group for example, but they do all state or favour people with another science AS.
There's plenty of good unis asking for aab like Bristol, my friend's going there but she did bio and chem too. If you're looking at an aaa uni they could reject you on the basis of not having another science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Student-95
I guess it depends on how may other offer holders meet the entry requirements.
As for the subjects, I expect they took them into account when they made the original offer.

Exactly this. It depends entirely how subscribed the course is, and how many people do or do not meet their offer. If everyone meets it, you'll not get in if you don't meet your grades, but if lots of people don't then you might, but it's not guaranteed.

As for subjects, that won't make a difference now as far as I know. It's purely down to the numbers.
Has anybody got in to a Business based degree with lower maths and english GCSE's? For the course i want to do a B in Maths is required but i think i'll only be able to achieve a C :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending