The Student Room Group

Not washing hands after handling raw meat-contamination?

My new roomate has pretty poor personal hygene, but one thing that has upset me badly is when he was cooking he was handling raw meat while using his laptop and also did not wash his hands. I talked to him and it went well, while he didn't agree it was something to worry about he agreed to wash his hands more but admited he had not been previously.

I cleaned up and disinfected much of the room, but I'm sure I may have missed somethings. I'm now very concerned about possible contamination. I want to know 1. What kind of things I could pick up from raw meat residue (listeria, toxoplasmosis, trichosis are all these possible?) and how long will the raw meat residue remain infectious if I have missed some?

Thanks for the help.
Reply 1
[QUOTE= how long will the raw meat residue remain infectious if I have missed some?

was it chicken?
Reply 2
Original post by CRIKEY12
[QUOTE= how long will the raw meat residue remain infectious if I have missed some?

was it chicken?

thanks for the reply. It was ground beef and bacon.
Reply 3
I think you can just know that you have done a good job cleaning up. And remember to wash your hands before cooking. Maybe some bacteria will persist in the environment for some time, so keep up the hygiene routine. But try not to obsess. Try not to put fingers in mouth unless washed first. I tend to clean and dry all surfaces before cooking. NB when you have children - all bets are off. Goodness knows what you will be dealing with then.
Reply 4
Original post by CRIKEY12
I think you can just know that you have done a good job cleaning up. And remember to wash your hands before cooking. Maybe some bacteria will persist in the environment for some time, so keep up the hygiene routine. But try not to obsess. Try not to put fingers in mouth unless washed first. I tend to clean and dry all surfaces before cooking. NB when you have children - all bets are off. Goodness knows what you will be dealing with then.

Thanks again. I would really like to know some specifics, such as what diseases are possible to pick up and also if there have been any studies on the length they will remain viable. I really need to know for my own peace of mind.
Reply 5
No one else can help? I'm so worried.
Reply 6
Mostly poultry that's very bad but, but he really should wash his hands. What's more disturbing is the stuff on his keyboard in now in the food.. eww
Reply 7
If I remember correctly, the bacteria -salmonella- can live on surfaces for up to 4 weeks. E-coli, which can also be found in beef, lives longer than salmonella I think.

Food handling of British meat greatly reduces the chances of such bacteria and worms but the the handling isn't perfect so the bacteria can still reach the consumer. Your flatmate needs to get a grip and seriously adapt to standard hygiene standards. Until he does, I suggest washing your hands every time before you put it in your mouth/nose/ears/eyes. Don't forget to disinfect the door/cupboard/fridge handles.

And tell your flatmate to expect very bad diarrhoea if he doesn't get his act together.
Reply 8
Original post by Pink Boy
If I remember correctly, the bacteria -salmonella- can live on surfaces for up to 4 weeks. E-coli, which can also be found in beef, lives longer than salmonella I think.

Food handling of British meat greatly reduces the chances of such bacteria and worms but the the handling isn't perfect so the bacteria can still reach the consumer. Your flatmate needs to get a grip and seriously adapt to standard hygiene standards. Until he does, I suggest washing your hands every time before you put it in your mouth/nose/ears/eyes. Don't forget to disinfect the door/cupboard/fridge handles.

And tell your flatmate to expect very bad diarrhoea if he doesn't get his act together.

Finally a really great reply. Thank you so much. I really told him off and he said he will try, so we will see. What about toxoplasmosis, can that live on surfaces in the meat residue?
I do agree that this is poor hygeine, but you might be overreacting a bit by rushing online to find out about all the horrible diseases that are going to kill you in your newly disinfected kitchen. If you've washed the kitchen you're likely to be fine.
Reply 10
He needs to be sent to the Chef that I had business with. Oh man, if he saw us not washing hands after we worked with raw meat, it's worse than to be in an army.

Even though if you wouldn't be able to cause cross contamination at all, you still should wash your hands. It only takes damn 2 minutes to wash the hands.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest