The Student Room Group

Messy handwriting = smart people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
That is my excuse anyway
When I was at primary school, I had the best handwriting in class. As I have got older, my handwriting has got progressively worse. I guess it is because of the advent of computers.
Original post by Enavor
If you had a letter that was "perfectly average" I mean absolutely perfect, with zero error in the average, then yes 50% would do better and 50% would do worse.

But even averages have errors it's called standard deviation. But I just can't see 50% being "good" and 50% being bad, like a perfect equilibrium.

I see good handwriting like left handedness, 1 in a dozen. I think that's the only way I can really explain what I mean.

I guess we just see "good" and "bad" in a different way then
not entirely, I believe is has got to do with personalities as well. I mean a disorganised person can be smart or stupid but a organised person is more likely to have neat hand writing than the disorganised person.
Original post by Enavor
Noo0o0o0o0o0o0o0ope! you said and I quote again,

Smarter people think faster, so theyd need to jot their ideas down faster.

closed quote.

Smarter people think faster, so they need to jot their ideas down faster, presuming faster writing generally produces messier writing.

Not very sharp, are you? Or perhaps, a page of your hand writing looks likes it's been typed via MS word? :wink:
Reply 85
I personally think yes. Maybe because smart people know it's not about the quality of the handwriting but the quality of the content and there's no point wasting time to make it neater.
Reply 86
Original post by manchesterunited15
I guess we just see "good" and "bad" in a different way then

I just hope I'm not wrong in thinking differently.
Original post by Enavor
There is no correlation between poor or good handwriting and a persons intelligence level. That's why graphology is considered a pseudo-science.

More people have messier handwriting than neat, so does that mean more intelligent people exist than stupid people? I doubt that highly.

There's also something about left handed people being smarter as well, I think that's crap too.

Wouldn't you define neat handwriting as neater than half the people? Therefore there cannot be less people with a neat handwriting than a messy one.
Original post by Sophie1994
not entirely, I believe is has got to do with personalities as well. I mean a disorganised person can be smart or stupid but a organised person is more likely to have neat hand writing than the disorganised person.

Not really, I'm a mega-organised person and have awful hand writing, but I get top grades in everything so I would say there is some correlation. But then my friend has awful hand writing, and he nearly didn't survive GCSEs...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by Ilyas
Smarter people think faster, so they need to jot their ideas down faster, presuming faster writing generally produces messier writing.

Not very sharp, are you? Or perhaps, a page of your hand writing looks likes it's been typed via MS word? :wink:

Well, I did chemical physics at Edinburgh university and received a respectable 2.i so I'd like to hope I'm pretty bright (hope lol) - no need for the defence mechanisms or the insults please.

I'm challenging your comment that people who write faster are smarter. Now "you" need to defend why that is other than "just because". I've gave you my explanation whereas you have gave none. If you don't have the patience to have a constructive debate then you're making yourself look "not very sharp".
Reply 90
My handwriting is messy and I don't write joined up either. I used to be able to, but somehow I've lost that ability :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by Donald Duck
Wouldn't you define neat handwriting as neater than half the people? Therefore there cannot be less people with a neat handwriting than a messy one.

The same is true for intelligence, it's relative.
Reply 92
I have the hand writing of a 5 year old. No joke, in year 9 I was recommended to go to a hand writing class by my english teacher :biggrin:
I have messy handwriting and to be honest I wouldn't really call my self a very clever person but that doesn't mean in dumb...... And also people who are saying that people who are left handed are clever then that's wrong as well because I'm also left handed!!!!
Reply 94
Original post by Donald Duck

I define neat hand writing as being above average, so by definition if its above average then it's not average. That's what I'm saying. I imagine it like a bell curve.

But I don't see any comparison between intelligence and poor hand writing. Its like blue eyed people are sexier than brown eyed people. That's Alice through the looking glass stuff.
Well I'm a genius andddW;RJLWEK\NFSJFNjkb\wamjbke,.F LAD.KFBW,\.MAWKLDFefks

Spoiler

Original post by Enavor
Well, I did chemical physics at Edinburgh university and received a respectable 2.i so I'd like to hope I'm pretty bright (hope lol) - no need for the defence mechanisms or the insults please.

I'm challenging your comment that people who write faster are smarter. Now "you" need to defend why that is other than "just because". I've gave you my explanation whereas you have gave none. If you don't have the patience to have a constructive debate then you're making yourself look "not very sharp".

You sounded patronizing in the last post, hence the insult.

Anyway, we can't have a constructive debate as i cba to research stats for the topic, since its fairly trivial. My initial argument was derived through logical thought in lieu with RL experiences.
Reply 97
Original post by Ilyas
You sounded patronizing in the last post, hence the insult.

Anyway, we can't have a constructive debate as i cba to research stats for the topic, since its fairly trivial. My initial argument was derived through logical thought in lieu with RL experiences.

I must admit I'm patronizing, and you have my apologies for that. Mathematicians hate me.... lots..... only mathematicians somehow I don't know why.

and it's not trivial. A lot of study goes into things like this (not being patronizing).

If you mean you personally find it trivial then that's fair I can't argue with that.
Original post by notnek
Mine isn't messy - it's just childish.

It hasn't really progressed since primary school and I get jealous looking at other adults' handwriting even if it's illegible!

I know what you mean, my handwriting doesn't look like an adult's yet, but I can't quite explain why :redface:

My handwriting is pretty bad as well though. I can't lend people my notes from lessons they missed because they can't read everything. I think it is because I don't hold my pen properly in my case, not intelligence. However, I do find I'm good at reading other 'messy' handwriting because my own is so poor!
Reply 99
Then I guess I'm an idiot..
My writing is only messy in exams when I'm strapped for time and trying to include everything I can think of but when I'm studying or doing class work, coursework stuffs like that its surprisingly neat

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest