The Student Room Group

Quickest way to get over an infatuation, please help.

Well, it's all in the title of the thread really. I have been literally
obsessing over this guy, for the past two months; and I am sick
and tired of it. It's the first time I have really liked someone,
(as much as you can like a person who you don't know too well).

But basically it's just not going to work out between us, and
I wanna move on and get on with my life. I feel like it's taking
over my spare time, I can't think properly, I cry sometimes; I
can't revise and exams are SOON.

Please don't suggest, "Find someone else to like." I just want to
get rid of these feelings, rather than having to depend on another emotional mess to fix this one. Thanks ever so much for reading this!

Scroll to see replies

**** it up, before you even have a chance
I've been in the same boat- only recently got over someone I met all the way back in November, I only met him a couple of times, really liked the impression he made, but things didn't work out- I know it's annoying to hear, but time is the only healer in situations like this. Eventually, your feelings will start to fade and you WILL move on! I know you might feel like you might never move on, but you really will.
Reply 3
Do what I do and move hundreds of miles away. If there's a better way, I'd like to know! :cool:
Original post by Izzyeviel
Do what I do and move hundreds of miles away. If there's a better way, I'd like to know! :cool:

You actually did this? If I did that then I would be crying my eyes and would never stop thinking about him. The curiosity would kill me inside.
Reply 5
Study for exams
Reply 6
there aren't any wonderful remedies that will get over someone, you've just got to get on with it and eventually you'll feel better
Reply 7
Original post by Silver Lining
You actually did this? If I did that then I would be crying my eyes and would never stop thinking about him. The curiosity would kill me inside.

Twice. If it's meant to be, it'll be. Until then move on with your life. You can't live your life waiting on someone. Go see the world and who knows?
Reply 8
Sever all contact, or as much as you can if this isn't possible. Let him know you're doing it and why, so as not to leave a loose end there. Don't avoid confronting the hard questions mentally, or avoid considering the relationship and how you feel, that won't work. It will still take time, but you'll get over him in the end.
Twice. If it's meant to be, it'll be. Until then move on with your life. You can't live your life waiting on someone. Go see the world and who knows?

But, my everything is here! Uni, work, family etc... I haven't seen him in ages. I dont know his name, where he lives or anything. He just used to get the bus near my house and I have only seen in him in a total of five times. This has been going on since 2011. We smiled at each other each time we saw each other but I dont know where he is.

So, I guess he has gone, but I want to find him. :frown: Moving away wont help at all!
Original post by sortedguy
Has it worked? I really like this girl and I can't stop thinking about her, need to stop the thoughts and move on however, she was a very special girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Silver Lining
But, my everything is here! Uni, work, family etc... I haven't seen him in ages. I dont know his name, where he lives or anything. He just used to get the bus near my house and I have only seen in him in a total of five times. This has been going on since 2011. We smiled at each other each time we saw each other but I dont know where he is.

So, I guess he has gone, but I want to find him. :frown: Moving away wont help at all!

Find them, let them know how you feel, if it works, great, if not then start thinking about what I do.
Find them, let them know how you feel, if it works, great, if not then start thinking about what I do.

I cant really find them :frown: I wait at the same bus stop, same time etc... but he is not there. I guess I will see what I can do! Thank you!
I was like this with a girl. Remove all traces of them from your computer and phone. Block them on Facebook, so you don't have to look at them. Think of all the bad things about them. Talk to other guys, even if you don't want anything serious. Distract yourself. Go out every night if you can and spend as much time as you can in the company of others.
Original post by Humbert Humbert
I was like this with a girl. Remove all traces of them from your computer and phone. Block them on Facebook, so you don't have to look at them. Think of all the bad things about them. Talk to other guys, even if you don't want anything serious. Distract yourself. Go out every night if you can and spend as much time as you can in the company of others.

This is also sensible advice.
Original post by Anonymous
Well, it's all in the title of the thread really. I have been literally
obsessing over this guy, for the past two months; and I am sick
and tired of it. It's the first time I have really liked someone,
(as much as you can like a person who you don't know too well).

But basically it's just not going to work out between us, and
I wanna move on and get on with my life. I feel like it's taking
over my spare time, I can't think properly, I cry sometimes; I
can't revise and exams are SOON.

Please don't suggest, "Find someone else to like." I just want to
get rid of these feelings, rather than having to depend on another emotional mess to fix this one. Thanks ever so much for reading this!

well I would say find someone else as that can really help but you said not to say that lol so I would say self control. It is really difficult but the thing is here's what happens. A thought of the guy comes into your head> you ask yourself why you can;t be with him> you spend ages thinking about it > you don't revise> you feel upset and want to cry. So what you really should do is to try and block out thoughts of this guy whenever you think of him try to think of something else even immediately and also when you see him don't look at him if you can and just try and distance yourself from him becuase the more you see him then the more you will want him and the more you think about him that more you will be upset that you can't have him. And this takes up a lot of time i.e. just day dreaming and stuff so before you know it it will be exams and you don't want to not do well because you have been thinking about this dude :cool:

Spoiler

Reply 15
This is also sensible advice.

Yes it is, keep yourself so busy that you can't think about him. Meeting people or spending time with friends is probably the most entertaining way to do this unless you have OCD cleaning or revel in study.
Reply 16
Thanks so much for all the responses guys, its been more than a month though and I am still stuck in the same rut. I have talked to him more and more and I am just becoming sadder; as I get to know him, because he is/seems so effing amazing. It's hard for me to avoid or ignore him, as some of you suggested, because I see him EVERYDAY at school. Do you think I should stop talking to him? Will that help? It seems like a bit of an extreme measure, especially since I don't know if it will work.

Thanks again for all the help!:smile:
Reply 17
BUMP.

Someone help, I am desperate.
Reply 18
sleep with someone else
Reply 19
Blimey, there's a lot of unrecquited love posts today! Here's a copy/paste of my response to another recent one on this topic:

Read this article:

http://www.baggagereclaim.co.uk/letting-go-of-a-relationshipthat-doesnt-exist/

Also, imagine him having sex with his girlfriend and not thinking about you. It's harsh, but that's what he's doing.

Don't worry though, these feelings you have will fade - especially if you get into an actual relationship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending