The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I worry about next season. He needs some serious serious changes. It's hard to 'look at the bigger picture' when you keep losing to your rivals. These are the matches you live for, you want to win them so badly. We were absolutely dreadful today. I end this season feeling more frustrated that last year.

First of all, I'd get rid of Welbeck. And we need to sign Lewandowski. That is absolutely number one. I have said before, I'd be tempted to sell Rooney if a big offer came in but, then you worry that too much is changing up top.

In midfield, Giggs needs to retire. Ferguson is a romantic in that he keeps playing him, but you have to just say you're not good enough. He did nothing today. I'd sell Valencia as well, he has been incredibly bad this season. I'd probably keep Nani in that respect as he is the best of a bad bunch, but he certainly needs a winger. And Ashley Young...no point appearing in Lucozade fitness adverts mate, you are never fit yourself.

Center midfield is absolutely vital for me. James Rodriguez...Kevin Strootman, somebody certainly needs to come in, there was absolutely no creativity today.

It's worrying because you know Chelsea and City will spend mega money in the Summer. So the rhetoric I am hearing from the board about no major signings leaves me with deep deep doubts as to whether we can challenge next year. Needs at least 3, maybe 4 attacking players that are world class.
Original post by Tommyjw
Contact wouldn't have even made Luis go over, let alone roll around holding his leg.. and laugh about it.

Like the offside decision, indeed.

Yeah offside decision where Hernandez scored; you were probably laughing your head of then, now your moaning and feeling hurt like a little kid :smile:
Original post by Eboracum

First of all, I'd get rid of Welbeck. And we need to sign Lewandowski. That is absolutely number one. I have said before, I'd be tempted to sell Rooney if a big offer came in but, then you worry that too much is changing up top.

How is buying another striker who wouldnt even fit into our first 11 'absolutely number one'?

In midfield, Giggs needs to retire. Ferguson is a romantic in that he keeps playing him

Guys been our best winger this season and produced assists etc than none of the others can. As long as he isn;t played in CM he is fine imo.
Number 1 is signing Carrick a partner.

Number 2 is signing at least one winger.

If we get those, it'll be a good summer.
I worry about next season. He needs some serious serious changes. It's hard to 'look at the bigger picture' when you keep losing to your rivals. These are the matches you live for, you want to win them so badly. We were absolutely dreadful today. I end this season feeling more frustrated that last year.

But do you really expect better? The title's won. The player's barely care - perhaps getting complacent and thinking they just grind out a draw or perhaps scrape a win. Changes were made, as I expected, and will continue to be made in the final two games. No Carrick, Rooney, De Gea, Ferdinand. Players who up until this point have shown little that would suggest they even deserve a chance in the team (Anderson, Valencia) playing...

Win the title early and the remainder of the season is so often an anti-climax. I appreciate that areas of the squad need to be strengthened, and today was very disappointing, but I wouldn't read too much into it.
Original post by Tommyjw
How is buying another striker who wouldnt even fit into our first 11 'absolutely number one'?

Guys been our best winger this season and produced assists etc than none of the others can. As long as he isn;t played in CM he is fine imo.

I don't understand this. Lewandowski is currently far superior to Rooney in all aspects. So he'd undoubtedly be starting. RVP is 29 of course.

Giggs was incredibly poor today. He was so far off the pace. Nani and Valencia are also poor. Chelsea have way better midfielders than us, so I question why they are so far behind in the league.
Reply 3286
Original post by chigyy
United fans seem to have a very short term memory.

Just to remind you in October.

Offside goal = won you the match.

Torres should have been off for putting his studs into cleverley's chest in the first half.... you would have lost playing us with 10 men for 60 minutes. the decisions by the ref didn't benefit either side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't understand this. Lewandowski is currently far superior to Rooney in all aspects..

He really isn't.
Original post by chigyy

I'm sorry if this isn't a kick then I don't know what is.

YOU MAD BRO :biggrin:

Original post by cleveradam
Just to remind you that the ref was right on all occasions this game.
Aggressive intent = violent conduct which is a red card.
Ramires clearly got the ball and barely touched Rooney let alone go through his legs. You pitiful loser.

To be fair Luiz should have recieved his second yellow for the elbow on Rafael 5 seconds earlier. Using your body to protect the ball is fine, elbowing a player when you neither have the ball or are trying to get the ball isn't. If the ref calls that foul Rafael doesn't kick him either.
(edited 10 years ago)
Its a pretty harsh red, he's just trying to stab the ball away, but silly from Rafael, Luiz is obviously going to make a meal of it.
Original post by Tommyjw
He really isn't.

How is he not? Rooney has been such a disappointment this season.

Original post by River85
But do you really expect better? The title's won. The player's barely care - perhaps getting complacent and thinking they just grind out a draw or perhaps scrape a win. Changes were made, as I expected, and will continue to be made in the final two games. No Carrick, Rooney, De Gea, Ferdinand. Players who up until this point have shown little that would suggest they even deserve a chance in the team (Anderson, Valencia) playing...

Win the title early and the remainder of the season is so often an anti-climax. I appreciate that areas of the squad need to be strengthened, and today was very disappointing, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

It's just not what I expect from Manchester United. It was a chance to go out there and show them who is best. Losing almost back to back at home to our closest rivals is really really poor. I FULLY expect home wins against M City and Chelsea next season. I can't believe how hard Valencia has fallen considering how good he was last season.
How is he not? Rooney has been such a disappointment this season.

12 goals and 10 assists in 22 starts, playing behind the striker, what a disappointment.

Rooney > Lewandowski.

Rooney >>> Lewandowski in our teams formation/system.
No point in having a Rooney debate.

Stats clearly mean all.
Original post by Tommyjw
12 goals and 10 assists in 22 starts, playing behind the striker, what a disappointment.

Rooney > Lewandowski.

By his high standards, he's been really poor. And he's not worth the 220k a week we are paying him. If a chance comes in to get Lewandowski, we should take it, and sell Rooney. Lewandowski would be great in our formation.
If a chance comes in to get Lewandowski, we should take it, and sell Rooney. Lewandowski would be great in our formation.

He really wouldn't. He is too similar to RvP to have them play 4-4-2, which is **** anyway, and nether of them are as good as Rooney behind the striker. You also have Kagawa, who can interchange with Rooney in the middle and elft really well, and neither RvP or Lewandowski would provide that versatility.
Original post by Tommyjw
That is the key part. If you are talking about Rooney vs Lew, then you need to compare them in the positions we play. Lew doesn't play behind the striker so his stats mean next to nothing. Lew vs RVP perhaps.

I'm interested in Lew if he's cheap. But a striker should not be on our list of needs. Someone to partner Carrick is number one and if that is all we achieve it will be a perfectly acceptable window.

It's just not what I expect from Manchester United. It was a chance to go out there and show them who is best. Losing almost back to back at home to our closest rivals is really really poor. I FULLY expect home wins against M City and Chelsea next season. I can't believe how hard Valencia has fallen considering how good he was last season.

Perhaps you have the wrong expectations then? It's very hard for a side that's been through a gruelling season, has already won the title, and has nothing left to play for, to perform well. As I've mentioned before, take a look at the final few games of 2000-2001. Combine this with the changes that took place, and you have that sort of a game. A boring game that ultimately could have gone either way.

Perhaps this shouldn't be the case. There is always pride to play for after all. But it invariably is. The players just want to lift the trophy and have a break. I'm not sure how bothered they are about setting record points totals.

Yes, the team needs strengthened, especially in midfield, but a couple of home defeats (to rival teams who, quite simply, both wanted and needed it more) does not mean that wholesale changes are needed to what is a title-winning side.

Moreoever, Giggs was one of the few players to display some real quality in that game. There's nothing wrong with him having at least one more season, providing we don't rely on him to start many games in CM.
Reply 3297
No complaints. Average line-up, poor performance. It's been rather disappointing, at how much we've eased off since winning the title.

Some may agree, some may disagree, but I really feel that we need to offload Anderson this summer. He can be a good player if he gets a consistent run of games going, but we seriously need a better quality CM who can come in and do a high quality job at all times.

As many of you have said a winger and CM is priority. Furthermore, IMO the whole Lewandowski to United is a complete no-goer.
Jesus Christ, we're the champions of England and wherever I look I'm seeing people calling out for big name signings, moaning that we lost, moaning about the referees ... at this point in the season WHO THE HELL CARES?!

Next weekend is the biggest weekend of the year, there's a hell of a party coming. The trophy's coming home and then being paraded grandly through the streets on an open-top bus in the (hopefully) glorious Manchester sunshine. I hope everyone takes the time to savour every moment and revel in the success because you never know when it's going to end. It worries me when some of our fans see it as "just another league win" and then life goes on, I wonder if Liverpool felt that way in 1990? A quick look down the East Lancs Road ought to serve as a reality check ... I certainly intend to celebrate every single trophy we win as if it's our last, because one day it could all be over. I don't think it will happen any time soon, but it's a possibility and we'll never see it coming. 26 years we had to wait for the title before 1993, we've been more fortunate (and ultimately become more spoiled) than any other fanbase in England in the years since then but let's bask in the moment every single time. You'll all miss this when it's gone.
Original post by IanDangerously
Jesus Christ, we're the champions of England and wherever I look I'm seeing people calling out for big name signings, moaning that we lost, moaning about the referees ... at this point in the season WHO THE HELL CARES?!

Next weekend is the biggest weekend of the year, there's a hell of a party coming. The trophy's coming home and then being paraded grandly through the streets on an open-top bus in the (hopefully) glorious Manchester sunshine. I hope everyone takes the time to savour every moment and revel in the success because you never know when it's going to end. It worries me when some of our fans see it as "just another league win" and then life goes on, I wonder if Liverpool felt that way in 1990? A quick look down the East Lancs Road ought to serve as a reality check ... I certainly intend to celebrate every single trophy we win as if it's our last, because one day it could all be over. I don't think it will happen any time soon, but it's a possibility and we'll never see it coming. 26 years we had to wait for the title before 1993, we've been more fortunate (and ultimately become more spoiled) than any other fanbase in England in the years since then but let's bask in the moment every single time. You'll all miss this when it's gone.

Whoever thinks like that is not a fan, simple.

Latest