The Student Room Group

Who is better? Ferguson or Mourinho?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lunch_Box
Mourinho's success is built on the ability to throw money at problems.

Porto?
And because the biggest single factor in United winning the league this year wasn't the £25mil spent on RVP? Along with the other £100s of millions Fergie has spent on the rest of the team.
Reply 81
Mourinho had a ridiculous amount of money at Real, with possibly the greatest squad in the world and he still only managed 1 major trophy in those 3 years.

Not to mention he can't stay at a club for too long before getting found out. What happens when he has went to all the big clubs?
Original post by Jordan_1
Mourinho had a ridiculous amount of money at Real, with possibly the greatest squad in the world and he still only managed 1 major trophy in those 3 years.

Not to mention he can't stay at a club for too long before getting found out. What happens when he has went to all the big clubs?

Whilst competing in every competition against arguably the best team ever (maybe not after Bayern's humbling of them), but the point still stands
Original post by ajh1990
Porto?
And because the biggest single factor in United winning the league this year wasn't the £25mil spent on RVP? Along with the other £100s of millions Fergie has spent on the rest of the team.

Yeah, a transfer everyone at the time said Fergie had got wrong, how it was a panic buy, how it was a waste of money and wouldn't work, yet Fergie was right. Again.

And look at the players City bought in the summer. £15m on Rodwell. £8m on Sinclair. £54m spent.

United spent £48m.

Chelsea spent £92m.
Reply 84
Original post by jam277
He left because of meddling from abramovich. So why are you saying that he left because the teams time was up. It clearly wasn't up as we got to a CL final the year he left, a CL semi final the year after, won the double the year after. So it had a good 4 years he could use up.

With porto, what was the point if he was going to lose all his players? He's playing in a weak league and wanted to go to a bigger stage. I don't see what's wrong with that. He could have stayed at porto and carried on winning league titles but he was never going to win another CL maybe an EL but what's that to him. With inter that was an interesting situation. Yes I feel he saw that the team was past it's peak but tbh if madrid ask you to take the job most people would take it. He saw a big job was available and decided to take it. I think he should stay at madrid to finish business and doubters.

With madrid it's a very hard job to manage. Probably harder than the chelsea job. It's hard to keep the fans happy, play attacking football, win trophies and keep a job even if you've done all 4 of them(vincent del bosque) or 2/3 of them like capello/heynckes.

Funnily enough that his champions leagues have come with two teams that didn't have a lot of money at the time... But hey just spout it because a few other people have said it.

Anyway, in terms of a tactical manager mourinho is clearly the better one. In terms of the general running of a football club it has to go to ferguson. He's the best at running a football club, bringing players through etc. Bar porto I don't think mourinho has brought a single player through the youth squads of his teams, balotelli may count but mancini started bringing him through in the first place.

Are you saying you have been happy with the squad set up and balance since mourinho left or your progress. Granted you won the champions league last year. But there is a reason your going through managers like calendars go through months. Are you realistically happy with the progress since mourinho left, or happy with the player power problem in the dressing room. Do you think these issues would happen in a utd dressing room under fergie?

I'm not saying what mourinho has done is wrong I actually like him he simply works like all manager on the continent, but that is why I think fergie is better no one else can manage a club like him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by ajh1990
Porto?

We lost out on hazard to Chelsea, Lucas to psg, sneijder to ridiculous wage demands.

Just because we make a lot of money so can spend more than most doesn't mean we are reckless like many others like city, psg, Chelsea.

In comparison to other European heavyweights we don't spend a great deal.
Reply 86
Original post by craglyboy
Are you saying you have been happy with the squad set up and balance since mourinho left or your progress. Granted you won the champions league last year but let's be honest it was an anomaly a entertaining one but an anomaly. Are you realistically happy with the progress since mourinho left, or happy with the player power problem in the dressing room. Do you think these issues would happen in a utd dressing room under fergie?

I'm not saying what mourinho has done is wrong I actually like him he simply works like all manager on the continent, but that is why I think fergie is better no one else can manage a club like him.

But mourinho is not managing chelsea... squad set up was good when mourinho left, we could challenge on all fronts for at least 2-3 years and we only lost to the winner of the competition when mou left until 2011 so it's not like he left us in a bad position. Just that we had to deal with one of united's best squads ever so it nullified our success as we were only second to barca and united at the time. Mourinho's team could play for at least 4 more years after he left which is saying something. He's not been given a rebuilding job yet so you can't say he's not good at it if he hasn't attempted one yet.

Finally if mourinho could handle the player power at chelsea and others can't what is there to say that if fergie left and a new guy came in there wouldn't be mercenaries at united?
Reply 87
Original post by jam277
But mourinho is not managing chelsea... squad set up was good when mourinho left, we could challenge on all fronts for at least 2-3 years and we only lost to the winner of the competition when mou left until 2011 so it's not like he left us in a bad position. Just that we had to deal with one of united's best squads ever so it nullified our success as we were only second to barca and united at the time. Mourinho's team could play for at least 4 more years after he left which is saying something. He's not been given a rebuilding job yet so you can't say he's not good at it if he hasn't attempted one yet.

Finally if mourinho could handle the player power at chelsea and others can't what is there to say that if fergie left and a new guy came in there wouldn't be mercenaries at united?

Because I think a philosophy has been instilled in the club with the likes of Mclair scholes etc working with the youth set up and respecting and utilising past players to keep the values of the club. Chelsea crapped on that when they started sacking the likes of Wilkins.

Mourinho has had the opportunity to rebuild a squad, he could of stayed at inter, moratti loved him.

Lets put it this way mourinho is the best coach, he is incredibly astute tactically and a great man manager. But fergie is the best manager, he manages the club from top to bottom. I don't think any manager in the business would argue that ferguson is the best.
Reply 88
Original post by craglyboy
Because I think a philosophy has been instilled in the club with the likes of Mclair scholes etc working with the youth set up and respecting and utilising past players to keep the values of the club. Chelsea crapped on that when they started sacking the likes of Wilkins.

Mourinho has had the opportunity to rebuild a squad, he could of stayed at inter, moratti loved him.

Lets put it this way mourinho is the best coach, he is incredibly astute tactically and a great man manager. But fergie is the best manager, he manages the club from top to bottom. I don't think any manager in the business would argue that ferguson is the best.

I agree with what you're saying. I guess mourinho could have proved everyone wrong by staying at inter. But here's the thing alex ferguson has been managing for at least 15 years more than mourinho and got the united job after 12 years in management... while mourinho had been managing at bigger teams for longer if we were to compare the careers mourinho is still a novice/youngun in world football. He will be better. Right now I'm not so sure. He's a better tactictian but all round I don't see anyone who can do a better job than fergie. He has the right balance of winning trophies and building a squad(basically inbetween the philosophies of wenger and mourinho)

At this rate mourinho will easily be the best manager in history, if he could win a world cup with portugal e.g. or stay at a team and build at least a 5-10 year dynasty like the likes of wenger, clough, ferguson then I'd take him...
Do people still think Mourinho is better then?
Reply 90
Jose could never do a Fergie. 27 years of "continued success" is quite a achievement. But it would be stupid to say "Jose Sucks" he clearly is one of the best managers in the world atm. They are both geniuses. How can you say Jose has no tactical sense? after being demolished in his first classico, what did he do? he built the team, he probably watched hours of Barca and found the way to beat them. Ever since then jose has been winning the Classico's. I mean against Pep, against Tito its slightly easier cause that guys not as good as pep YET.
Reply 91
Ferguson is the better manager, by a considerable distance. Mourinho would be the first to admit that, so the poll results surprise me and certainly don't reflect the community of football journalists and those in the know.

Ferguson built a team up from scratch several times. Mourinho did well at Porto but walked into multi-million pound empires in London, Milan and Madrid. If Mourinho went somewhere like Everton and did just as well, then we could talk about him being in the same bracket.

But largely speaking, this is a poll hijacked by anti-Manchester United hecklers.
Reply 92
Now that he has retired... I am beginning to be a little biased.

Career wise... Sir Alex is still the front runner.

Maybe shortening the time frame like Ferguson's first 5 years and Jose's first 5 years...maybe Jose could have an edge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eboracum
Ferguson is the better manager, by a considerable distance. Mourinho would be the first to admit that, so the poll results surprise me and certainly don't reflect the community of football journalists and those in the know.

Ferguson built a team up from scratch several times. Mourinho did well at Porto but walked into multi-million pound empires in London, Milan and Madrid. If Mourinho went somewhere like Everton and did just as well, then we could talk about him being in the same bracket.

But largely speaking, this is a poll hijacked by anti-Manchester United hecklers.

Funny because it's true :laugh:

Ferguson did it at two clubs as well. Broke the dominance of Celtic/Rangers, won the Scottish First Division three times, he retained it as well. In fact, nobody other than Celtic/Rangers has won it since, that's how big an achievement it was. Not enough is made of this to be honest. European Cup Winner's Cup, four Scottish Cups (equivalent of the FA Cup) and a Super Cup. With Aberdeen. That is ridiculous.

In short, one's a footballer manager, the other is a pantomime.
Original post by RedArrow
Now that he has retired... I am beginning to be a little biased.

Career wise... Sir Alex is still the front runner.

Maybe shortening the time frame like Ferguson's first 5 years and Jose's first 5 years...maybe Jose could have an edge.

Exactly this.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Yeah, a transfer everyone at the time said Fergie had got wrong, how it was a panic buy, how it was a waste of money and wouldn't work, yet Fergie was right. Again.

Well if RVP had cost 50m you could say the same thing. 24m and 250k was a huge amount in the circumstances and given his age and I doubt Fergie would have bought him if it wasnt his last season.
Reply 96
Has to be be Mourinho. It's not like SAF took a nobody team to win the domestic league dominated by 2 giants in Scotland, and then knocked out Real Madrid in the cup winners cup.

Oh wait..

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 97
Funny because it's true :laugh:

Ferguson did it at two clubs as well. Broke the dominance of Celtic/Rangers, won the Scottish First Division three times, he retained it as well. In fact, nobody other than Celtic/Rangers has won it since, that's how big an achievement it was. Not enough is made of this to be honest. European Cup Winner's Cup, four Scottish Cups (equivalent of the FA Cup) and a Super Cup. With Aberdeen. That is ridiculous.

In short, one's a footballer manager, the other is a pantomime.

Fantastic. I've no we've had our differences. But I agree with everything you are saying. It's easy for people to get drawn in to the aura of the star status that Mourinho has, but Ferguson is the greatest of all.
Reply 98
Original post by tr12
On what planet is Mourinho's man-management better than Fergies? I mean come on, have you not been watching Real Madrid this season?! Half the players can't wait to see the back of Mourinho and he doesn't even have control of the dressing room. Fergie would never ever allow that to happen, he is always the one in charge.

I'm only speculating. But it's likely that there are many big egos at R.Madrid, hence you can't expect Mou to have absolute control of dressing room, especially when most of them are not his players/signings. And it's not like Mou can just sell all the mischievous players since he doesn't have absolute control of the transfers of the club and it would upset a lot of fans. Additionally, despite all the drama going on in the club, Mou has still managed to make Madrid successful.

However, when you see the love that his players had for him at Inter, Chelsea and Porto, then you will understand that the problem he had at Madrid is just a blip/anomaly/exception rather than the rule.

But of course, Fergie is also an exceptional man-manager.
Reply 99
lol at everyone who voted Mourinho in this thread.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/mourinho-does-a-rafa-with-facts-on-a-crib-sheet-21-years-18-coaches-5-semis-ive-had-3-in-3-years/

Sitting in a press conference and reading out the names of 18 former Real Madrid managers is pathetic and the sort of thing Benitez would do (in fact, he did something very similar and got the piss taken out of him.)

He thinks he's being clever but all he's done is highlight the fact he's lost 5 semi finals out of 7. With the squad he has, he should have made the final once with Madrid.

He is becoming an increasingly sad bastard.

Better than Fergie :rolleyes:

Lol at you also. Why is it so hard for you to believe that someone can possibly think that Mou is better than Fergie? I know the Mou at Madrid is not the same as the one from Porto till Inter. But overall, his achievements speak for themselves.

You claim Mou doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Wenger lol. Well, what was Wenger's greatest achievement at Arsenal? One undefeated season in the league.

Well, Mourinho can better that: 9 ****ing years unbeaten at home with four clubs from 4 different leagues (Porto, Chelsea, Inter & R.Madrid).

Hmm, let's see what else Mou has done in a short space of time:

-Won Porto's second European Cup in history 17 years after they won their first one. Porto were not one of the financial giants in comparison to Man Utd and R.Madrid. But Mou still made them champions of Europe. Oh and they haven't won another Champions League trophy since.

- Won Inter's third European Cup 45 years after their second one. 45 years! Inter were not as financially strong as the likes of Madrid nor were they as technically gifted as Barca. Yet Mou made them champions of Europe. And it's safe to say they won't be winning another one anytime soon without Mou around.

- Immediately won back to back league titles with Chelsea 50 years after their last league title. 50 years.

- First to win the Treble (league, coppa Italia & European Cup) in Italy. Not even the past legendary managers in Serie A could manage it.

- First to win all domestic trophies in four countries including three of the best in the world (England, Italy and Spain).

- First manager/coach to win the PL, La Liga and Serie A.

- First to guide 4 different clubs to the semi finals of the Champions League.

- Broken several records in some of the leagues he's coached/managed in.

- Did I already mention that he went 9 years unbeaten at home in 4 leagues with different clubs?

Yep, Mou doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Fergie with those exceptional achievements :rolleyes:

Hell, you think he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Wenger :rofl:

But I think someone else ITT has got it spot on: Fergie is the greatest manager of all time (so far) and Mourinho is the best coach of all time (so far).

Edit: If you were trolling/wumming throughout this thread against Mourinho, then I'll give you a bit of credit. But just in case you were not trolling, I thought it was a bit necessary to debunk some of the nonsense you were spouting against The Special One.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest