The Student Room Group

Unofficial AQA Biology Unit 3 GCSE NEW SPEC Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Masr97
For the athlete question, I don't think concentration gradient has anything to do with it. I think it's more evaporation occurs fastest in hot, DRY, windy conditions, and therefore if its humid it will occur slower. Concentration gradient is referring to diffusion/osmosis.

I thought the difference in composition between the arteries and veins were the properties themselves, not what type of blood they carry. I.e arteries have a smaller lumen and thick elastic wall to compensate for carrying blood at high pressures, and veins have a larger lumen to maintain a high level of blood flow dispite low blood pressure.

Yeah but isn't that to do with the diffusion of the water vapour? I don't know, that's just what I thought
Reply 21
Original post by Quantaˌ
No, the question was referring to the composition of the blood. So, it's about being oxygenated or not.

Can anyone remember what Question 3 was?

Question 3b was the six-marker, definitely. Question 3a was I think the ones about the energy passed on in food chains - The second food chain provided ten times less energy than the first. - Less energy is passed on in food chain B because the pig moves around etc., expending energy.
In my opinion I think the marathon runner one was talking about conc' gradients
Original post by shan2097
Question 3b was the six-marker, definitely. Question 3a was I think the ones about the energy passed on in food chains - The second food chain provided ten times less energy than the first. - Less energy is passed on in food chain B because the pig moves around etc., expending energy.

I can vouch for this
Reply 24
Original post by HarryRiley88
the composition is asking what it has in it, deoxy blood and oxy blood was right otherwise it wouldnt have been a 2 mark Q

it was a 1 mark....
Reply 25
Question 3 was about the food chains and then the 6 marker about the factory farming!
Original post by lolface32
it was a 1 mark....

Backs up my point even more then, they wouldnt give a one mark question on asking you to give the differences between arteries and veins
Reply 27
There was the question about volume of the lungs and there was the graph, the first part, you had to describe the graph, and the second part you had to explain and say why that was; which was due to the intercostal muscles and diaphragm contracting, the diaphragm flattens out, the rib-cage lifts up and out which increases the volume and then the reverse happens for the decrease in the volume.
Not much to add but I know that Qn 7 was the hepatic <portal> vein question...

oh, and there was one about why an alcohol producer would want to use fructose vs. glucose/mannatose?
Backs up my point even more then, they wouldnt give a one mark question on asking you to give the differences between arteries and veins

i thought it was about oxygen to as what less can you talk about for 1 mark
Reply 30
oh, and there was one about why an alcohol producer would want to use fructose vs. glucose/mannatose?

WHAT!!! I don't remember that question, oh no i'm doing worse than I thought. (which was bad anyway).

I always mess up quoting
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Comp_uter15776
Not much to add but I know that Qn 7 was the hepatic <portal> vein question...

I don't remember the one about fructose/glucose? Was it in B2?
Original post by 1996smpam

WHAT!!! I don't remember that question, oh no i'm doing worse than I thought. (which was bad anyway).

I could have sworn it was something about how yeast fermentation and all that... I remember the equation for anaerobic respiration being mentioned at some point.
Original post by holly12345
I don't remember the one about fructose/glucose? Was it in B2?

i dont remeber it either hope it was in c2
Reply 34
I don't remember anything about fermentation coming up :L
Wow, I think it must be my illness which I've had.

*****SORRY FOR CONFUSION GUYS, FERMENTATION IS B2*****
Original post by social outcast
i thought it was about oxygen to as what less can you talk about for 1 mark

The proper answer was that the artery carries deoxygenated blood and the vein carried oxygenated, that was the difference in blood composition question
Reply 37
Original post by Quantaˌ
Starting the unofficial biology unit 3 mark scheme. This is for the AQA GCSE New Specification test which everyone did on the 14th May 2013.

Can everyone submit the answers they can remember to this thread? I'll add them to this post when we've got a few.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the mark scheme:

Question 1

Question 2

Coronary Artery

Stents

Stents are metal mesh tubes inserted into blood vessels to expand them if they are blocked, for example by fatty deposits or cholesterol. They are placed in surgery using an inflated balloon. It increases the blood vessel size at the blockage to allow blood to flow more effectively.

Question 3

The second food chain (wheat→pigs→humans) has more steps and wastes more energy because the pigs use energy in respiration for movement, homoeostasis, etc. The first food chain (wheat→human) provides ten times more energy than the second food chain.

Factory farming is when food production is made more efficient by reducing energy loss and maximising growth.

Animals are kept in a small space or cage which reduces land requirements. This provides more space for other crops or resources and, so, more food is produced in a smaller space. This is more profitable and creates a larger yield or more produce. However, it is easier for animals to catch diseases off one another and it is expensive to monitor diseases.

Animals' movement is, also, restricted. This reduces energy loss by movement and creates full-size animals quickly. This is more profitable and creates a larger yield or more produce. However, it is seen as cruel, unethical and inhumane as it restricts the animals' freedom- against animal rights. Moreover, stressed animals gain weight less quickly then non-stressed animals.

Moreover, animals are kept warm and indoors. Therefore, less energy is expended by the animal on heating itself, homoeostasis. More energy is used for growth. This quickens the growing process and more profit in the long-term. But, it can be expensive to heat the animals and causes an indirect CO2 increase as fuels are burnt to produce heat energy.

Question two can also be coronary bypass surgery then the description
The proper answer was that the artery carries deoxygenated blood and the vein carried oxygenated, that was the difference in blood composition question

That's what I put down. They didn't word many of the questions well enough to know exactly which topic they want us to talk about.
Reply 39
Original post by grammar12
Question two can also be coronary bypass surgery then the description

Could you give me what you wrote? Then I can add it in...

Was Question 4 the one about the iron lung/positive pressure? What did everyone write for it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending