The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever used a gel pen in their exam, and it still got marked?

I used a gel pen in my exams. I'm getting really worried it won't get marked. It didn't smudge in the slightest.

Has anyone ever used a gel pen in an exam? And what happened?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really hope it was green and sparkly as well...

It will depend on the exam board and how lenient they are, it should be okay but make sure you use black ball points in future.
What colour? They mark by scanning into a computer in a lot of exams, and lighter colours don't necessarily show. If this is the case, tell a teacher ASAP and get them to ask the exam board to check your actual script so it doesn't just come up blank.

However, if you used a dark colour or black you will almost certainly be fine, though avoid it in future. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dean01234
I really hope it was green and sparkly as well...

It will depend on the exam board and how lenient they are, it should be okay but make sure you use black ball points in future.

It was black. I've scanned it into my computer and it looks fine. :s-smilie:

Original post by Octohedral
What colour? They mark by scanning into a computer in a lot of exams, and lighter colours don't necessarily show. If this is the case, tell a teacher ASAP and get them to ask the exam board to check your actual script so it doesn't just come up blank.

However, if you used a dark colour or black you will almost certainly be fine, though avoid it in future. :smile:

I've told my teacher and she said it'll be fine. The colour isn't at all light. I've got other exams left, but the thing is writing in biro slows me down... :s-smilie:
Are you still in primary school?
Reply 5
No, you'll get 0. Happened to a friend of mine. Use a real pen in future.
Reply 6
As long as it is dark you should be fine. Ink pens are used in exams so it should be fine. If you don't like biro try rollerball pens in the future they have a nib similar to gel pen and are ink but dry like biro and are less likely to smudge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
You really ought to use a black ballpoint pen - Don't take the risk :/
Original post by >Username<
I've told my teacher and she said it'll be fine. The colour isn't at all light. I've got other exams left, but the thing is writing in biro slows me down... :s-smilie:

If it was black, I don't see why you can't use it? Black gel pens are pretty much the same as roller ball points, just stickier. If it doesn't smudge I can't see a problem. I think I might even have used gel pens myself sometimes (black ones).

If you're worried, use a roller ball pen. (They're the ones that have liquid based ink rather than oil). They are much easier to write with than biros (though they smudge more, so experiment with a few). These are definitely allowed - it's the only type I ever used apart from fountain pens. However, I don't see why a gel pen should be a problem - doesn't it just state 'black ink'? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by GeneralOJB

Was a black gel pen? I thought you could use any black pen. :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Was a black gel pen? I thought you could use any black pen. :s-smilie:

Yep. It doesn't matter if it's readable or not either. They do chemical tests on the papers and if it's gel, 0.
Reply 11

Serious or sarcastic?

Original post by winningjojo
As long as it is dark you should be fine. Ink pens are used in exams so it should be fine. If you don't like biro try rollerball pens in the future they have a nib similar to gel pen and are ink but dry like biro and are less likely to smudge :smile:

I've tried them however I don't like the way they write. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it was black, I don't see why you can't use it? Black gel pens are pretty much the same as roller ball points, just stickier. If it doesn't smudge I can't see a problem. I think I might even have used gel pens myself sometimes (black ones).

If you're worried, use a roller ball pen. (They're the ones that have liquid based ink rather than oil). They are much easier to write with than biros (though they smudge more, so experiment with a few). These are definitely allowed - it's the only type I ever used apart from fountain pens. However, I don't see why a gel pen should be a problem - doesn't it just state 'black ink'? :smile:

Well I only read on the booklet after the exam as they were collecting the papers that it said 'do not use gel pens'. :s-smilie: But my work didn't smudge. And its coming up fine on my scanner...
Reply 12

do exam boards use toasters to scan through the papers?

even my crappy 10 year old scanner can scan through light pencil marks
Reply 13
Bump.
Bump.

It'll be fine. Don't worry. As long as it's black or blue, you won't have a problem.

I used a gel pen in some of my exams too.
Reply 15
Original post by {Unregistered}
It'll be fine. Don't worry. As long as it's black or blue, you won't have a problem.

I used a gel pen in some of my exams too.

Even if on the front it says it shouldn't be used. Do you think it would be okay?
Even if on the front it says it shouldn't be used. Do you think it would be okay?

Yes, I used it in GCSEs. I'm at university now. Believe me, you'll be alright.
If you can read it, the examiner can read it.
Bump.

Why are you bumping

You have been told by your teacher that it is fine

If you are worried use a different pen from now on ... if you think that the advantage of easy writing out-weighs the chances of something not scanning properly keep using it

I personally would use a different pen but you are the only person who can weigh up the risk for yourself
Reply 18
can a blue pen be seen on a scan its equally dark as a black pen...just wondering when they scan the papers its scanned in black and white or in color??
Yep. It doesn't matter if it's readable or not either. They do chemical tests on the papers and if it's gel, 0.

LOOOOOOOOOL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending