The Student Room Group

History AQA Tsarist Russia 1855-1917

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aliyah08
I didn't finish either! I chose the same questions as you. I basically wrote about the Okrahana and Land Captains under the reign of Alexander III (only lightly because i didnt know much in his repression) but generally said he didnt succeed as he simly pushed Marxist Circles underground which made them more dangerous. But I don't think I did particularly well because I didn't finish.

For the question about Keresnky's weaknesses do you think I would have gotten marks for
FOR:The summer offensive
FOR: His reaction to the Kornilov affair
AGAINST:The PG was doomed from the start
AGAINST:Bolshevik propaganda and Lenin's April Thesis and genius?

I'm know my points are basic but would you argue that they were valid? Thank you in advance

I would say they're pretty valid. I wrote the same about Bolshevik propaganda and the April thesis and a tiny bit on the weaknesses of the PG and that's when the bloody time ran out!
Reply 21
I thought the questions were good really. Hope I did as well I thought, but I had over ten minutes left... Wrote two sides or over for each 24 marker and a side a bit for each 12. Did questions 1 and 2.

Thought 1 was pretty easy but I'm not sure I'll get credited for links. The only link I made was that by trying to prevent opposition from the nobility, Alexander increased unrest and opposition from the peasantry and liberals.

Then for 2 I basically said on the surface radicals were repressed but beneath there was vast unrest and discontent with the Tsar. I also wrote about the repercussions of repression, e.g. Lenin with his poor brother. I went on to write paras about terrible conditions of the workers made worse by the Japanese war, the dissatisfaction of the liberals and the famines for the peasantry. None of which being solved.

For question 3 I wrote about Witte needing to keep the tsar a great power and eliminating hunger by stabilising the economy and therefore eliminating opposition. I also wrote about how Russia wasn't making the most of her resources and how railways would be helpful for communication and the war. Again, think I missed marks for links.

Then finally for 4 I wrote about Stolypin's reforms being good ideas but too late and not suitable for the peasantry and how progress was slow, etc., etc. I added in for positives that there were no major uprisings and how peasants were initially patriotic, suggesting their faith in the tsar was somewhat maintained and so conditions must've been somewhat decent. Then I added how after 1911 not much was done.
Reply 22
Anyone?

For the question about Keresnky's weaknesses do you think I would have gotten marks for

I'm know my points are basic but would you argue that they were valid? Thank you in advance
Reply 23
Original post by zack_wilson
I would say they're pretty valid. I wrote the same about Bolshevik propaganda and the April thesis and a tiny bit on the weaknesses of the PG and that's when the bloody time ran out!

Ah thank you! Only just saw your reply
But thank God, thought I was the only one!

What did you put for the 12 marker? Why did kornilov attempt the coup?
Reply 24
Original post by jo7777
The questions were so perfect, and that's why I'm annoyed! I did 1 and 3.
This exam isn't about how much you know - I didn't have a lack of knowledge - It's just about how fast you cant write...

I only had time to write an intro, 3 paras and a conclusion for all of my essays, even the 24 mark ones! I really wanted an A, looks like I'll have to do really well in the source based paper. :frown:

Had exactly the same problem. Revised the content really well but in the time limit just couldn't successfully organise my ideas and evaluate correctly! My 24 markers were very short and so unsophisticated and badly organised.

I'm disappointed because after the effort I put into revising, the time constraints just mucked it all up for me. They need to allow time for planning etc! :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 25
I didn't finish either! I chose the same questions as you. I basically wrote about the Okrahana and Land Captains under the reign of Alexander III (only lightly because i didnt know much in his repression) but generally said he didnt succeed as he simly pushed Marxist Circles underground which made them more dangerous. But I don't think I did particularly well because I didn't finish.

for some reason i put the summer offensive and kornilov affair in opposing factors and the weak leadership as different things like the unrest with the peasantry and the military. Do you think they'll mark me down or something?
Reply 26
Anyone?

yeah that sounds good but for some reason I put summer offensive and kornilov as opposing factors and weak leadership linked more to the unrest in the peasant population and the problems in the military so do you think that will get me marks ?
Reply 27
Did anyone do 3 and 4? Want to check my answer, anyone know why Witte modernised?
Reply 28
Original post by Ammmy
Did anyone do 3 and 4? Want to check my answer, anyone know why Witte modernised?

Yeah I did that one but ran out of time, so only did two paragraphs :'( But it was basically about curbing revolutionary outbreak, he had a railway background, wanted to improve the state. and they you just give example like foreign investment, new rouble backed by gold, trans-siberian etc...... question 4 was sooo hard :'( i flopped that
Reply 29
Original post by YeahBoy
Yeah I did that one but ran out of time, so only did two paragraphs :'( But it was basically about curbing revolutionary outbreak, he had a railway background, wanted to improve the state. and they you just give example like foreign investment, new rouble backed by gold, trans-siberian etc...... question 4 was sooo hard :'( i flopped that

Oh good that's sound about right with what I put, thanks :smile: what was the 24 marker again?
Actually there were major peasant uprisings :frown: the reforms didn't address the land question neither. The reason for the uprisings was that not many could benefit from the splitting and consolidating of land as they couldn't afford it = angry peasants.

The questions I thought were AMAZING. I actually spent 10 minutes in the exam planning because the opposition question with Alexander III caught me out!

For the first question I answered specifically why there was opposition towards Alexander which included: the liberals, radicals, students, press, landowners and peasants.

For the second questions I spoke about Alexander III's policies of russification, repression of the peasants by the land captains and also repression of the Zemstva by the land captains and the Zemstva act 1890. I also spoke about repression of the students by the cossacks and how it had an adverse effect of causing thousands to join the SRs and SDs = more opposition. I spoke about the fact there was underground political activity which again wasn't repressed because most escaped arrest. I also spoke about how opposition remained, largely focused on constitutional reform, however it was ignored. I also included the Russo Japanese War and how that opposition was never overcome because it spilled out into the 1905 revolution. I concluded with that Alexander III was successful in the short term with his repression, but this caused further problems in the long term and was therefore NOT successful.

For the third question regarding Witte I spoke about his commitment to economic modernisation and why he wanted to create state capitalism (strengthen the regime by restoring faith in it). I also included the fact he had maintained his links with industry and thus wanted to promote industrialisation. There was issue that there had been small booms in railway in industry (which was in small scale) and the development of railways would be important / beneficial. Finally I spoke about how he feared without industrialisation Russia would fall further behind the West & would become a target for exploitation. How he believed that an industrialision would help develop Russia as a Great Power through attracting foreign investment & government intervention.

For the third question I spoke about Stolypin's reforms and those limitations and successes such as:

Only a minority took the opportunity to leave the Mir and consolidate land (10%).

The development of large farms meant poorer peasants were encouraged to sell out to the more prosperous Kulaks. Many of these left the commune as they could no longer afford it to the cities. The cities were in an awful state = more opposition to the regime. Also shows that their lives had not been improved.

The reforms increased peasants uprisings because they couldn't benefit from the splitting and consolidating of land. It also doesn't address the land question.

The peasants believed the splitting and consolidating of land was unequal because they believed in shared ownership. Stolypin didn't know what they need nor wanted and he certainly didn't under the difficulties they were already living in.

The fact that the peasants preferred the tradition and security of the Mir, rather than individual ownership was overlooked.

Positives included: the hereditary ownership of land by peasants increased from 20% in 1905 to 50% by 1915 and a no. of good harvests played a significant part in increases of production from rising peasant prosperity.

I also spoke about the effects industrialisation.

I concluded that Stolypin's reforms had helped the peasantry to some extent and overall the Regime's success was fairly limited.

:smile: Can't wait to see what result I got for this exam ^_^

Original post by Ammmy
Oh good that's sound about right with what I put, thanks what was the 24 marker again?

How successful was the Regime in improving the lives of the peasantry between 1906-1914?

Something like that!

Original post by jo7777
Well at least we're all on the same boat.
Hoping the grade boundaries will be low but I doubt it because people must have the same problem every year, and these were good questions.

With all exams the examiners take into account the time limit, but even then it rarely does anything. I think the grade boundaries will stay the same this year. I don't think they will lower them and if they do only about a couple of marks.

I took the exam last year and the boundaries were pretty much the same as the year before.

Timing isn't an issue if you answer the question directly. I made the mistake last year by answering a 'why' question without specifically including why and extending to how something was successful. Examiners mark you down for talking about how something was achieved in a why question & the same applies to other questions such as 'how' or 'to what extent'.

If you don't do so well this time round, which I hope you don't, I'd advise looking through past papers and writing out the sort of responses they want you to talk about. They give you the answers! All you have to do is revise the answers & know how to extend off them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Ammmy
Oh good that's sound about right with what I put, thanks :smile: what was the 24 marker again?

It was about how successful was the tsarist regime in modernising the condition of the peasant up until 1914.. I don't think i did well in that one at all :'(
Reply 32
Original post by Ninjabutterfly
Actually there were major peasant uprisings :frown:

My textbook says that although there were a number of small ones and discontent, there was nothing on a large, collective scale or the size of 1905 in relation to peasant participation :confused:

Anyway, that's only one thing and aside from that our answers sound pretty similar. Did you link in the 12 markers? :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by YeahBoy
It was about how successful was the tsarist regime in modernising the condition of the peasant up until 1914.. I don't think i did well in that one at all :'(

I think it was okay I had the content knowledge but think I meandered a bit, if you know what I mean?!

Lets just hope it went well :smile: it's probably better than we thought!
[QUOTE="NadezhdaK;42700469"]
Original post by Ninjabutterfly
Actually there were major peasant uprisings :frown:

My textbook says that although there were a number of small ones and discontent, there was nothing on a large, collective scale or the size of 1905 in relation to peasant participation :confused:

Anyway, that's only one thing and aside from that our answers sound pretty similar. Did you link in the 12 markers? :smile:

In the textbook I have for AQA it does state that was an increase in peasant uprisings. I don't think the AQA textbook goes that much into depth, but my History teacher went beyond the book. As stated many of these peasants couldn't benefit from the splitting and consolidating of land and as shown before when you make a peasant angry that throw an uprising party. Ever since the emancipation, the land question was never addressed which upset the peasants further. When the land question was not addressed again in Stolypin's reforms they became even more unhappy.

Definitely. I linked the serfs and landowners. I followed on from the landowners (who joined the Zemstva = more opposition to the regime) to the Liberals who were unhappy with the Zemstva. From the Liberals I linked to to the Radicals as they both shared the same belief that the autocratic powers should be removed. I found it difficult to link the students in and press in because they were so different from the above.

For Witte I don't think you could have linked much to be fair as long as follows a readable approach without going back and forth I think it would be okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending