The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by revisioner1
i got 442% or something.

in the snakes i'm pretty sure 1 question was about how the male shows less courtship behaviour to shorter females and filter paper with shorter lipids on them. (the bar chart)

the one after was trying to make you state the relationship between the longer females producing more fatty acids which initiates courtship behaviour.

why the garter snakes don't react to other female species who also produce fatty acids on their skin was to due to the fact they have different fatty acids? (got this one wrong i think now, i should've said about how courtship behaviour is specific to species etc.)

also i said you could intrapolate the line of best fit to find values to estimate the courtship behaviour towards females of 75cm or something.

btw for phylogeny i said something along the lines of: 'share a common ancestor' is that a mark? =(

well the exam started out ridiculous for me because i caved to exam pressures and made a stupid error like thinking the exam would be over 30 minutes early. so i rushed straight to the end. grrr.

I got 442 % as well...the numbers were 42 and 186.
42 x 4 = 168
plus the other bit = 186.
wow I only revised cohesion tension and root pressure last night as I never really understood it and that was the 6 mark question. Phew so lucky
Reply 3522
only amino acids contain peptide bonds, but it does undergo condensation between alpha glucose.

are u sure that haemoglobin undergoes condensation reaction coz i put a tick on all Three of the
Reply 3523
Original post by Jaydude
Hmm....I'm kinda surprised at the response to the exam. My prediction of 6 marker was true!

Few questions

Why was diffusion higher when water from tracheoles in insects was removed? Higher SA:VR?

Species diversity was 6 something?

Tick boxes: quaternary structure was haemoglobin? Nitrogen present in starch and cellulose? Can't remember other box...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Starch and cellulose don't contain nitrogen and I agree with the higher sa:vr ratio one
Reply 3524
Is there an unofficial mark scheme anywhere?
Reply 3525
Mmm I feel there were many one or two mark questions that were difficult but the last question in general was odd overall!
Reply 3526
the mother can protect the egg better i said grr.

I wrote that too, it makes sense dw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Futuristicmedic
What did everyone put for water going into muscles question ??? Hardest one on the paper IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile

We learnt this it can be both decreases diffusion pathway and increases surface area for diffusion. Was only one mark though.
Original post by BingTaoBing
I got 442 % as well...the numbers were 42 and 186.
42 x 4 = 168
plus the other bit = 186.

186-42=144

(144/42)*100=342.85=343
Original post by purple_panther
I did too lol :colondollar: hmm seemed legit at the time... What were the people writing this exam thinking? Rambling on about snakes and courtship for 4 pages! A bit extreme and random.

Haha definitely, I got some really strange answers! Even stuff that should be simple like the role of the centromere and the definition for hierarchy I couldn't do... oh well :rolleyes:
Reply 3530
Original post by purple_panther
wow I only revised cohesion tension and root pressure last night as I never really understood it and that was the 6 mark question. Phew so lucky

You were supposed to talk about apoplastic and symplastic pathways
Original post by The Lawful T.J
%Increase: 343%
Fetus%: 16%
Spiracles open: 6 times.
Amish people: 250,000
Index diversity: 6.98
Woo! :smile: Anyone else?

Yes i got all of those too :smile:
Original post by jones2596
http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090410231017AAwrI1u

looking on google most places are saying diffusion in air is faster than in water - I may be wrong though.

it says in the book that diffusion in air is faster than diffusion in water
I ticked condensation reaction for haemoglobin as it is made up from polypeptides, and peptide bonds are formed via condensation reactions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Lawful T.J
%Increase: 343%
Fetus%: 16%
Spiracles open: 6 times.
Amish people: 250,000
Index diversity: 6.98
Woo! :smile: Anyone else?

Me tooooo exactly :biggrin:
Original post by Nima123
I think 58 for an A as jan 2013 was easier and that was 60 :/

january 2011 was 54/85 for an A and that was easier so yeah definitely in the 50s for an A
Reply 3536
Original post by Manni
You were supposed to talk about apoplastic and symplastic pathways

You can talk about all three :smile: that's what I did...
Original post by Kcash
What did people put for the question about abdominal muscles in insects

I said it causes mass movement of air to enter the body which speeds up diffusion as it makes a steep concentration gradient of repiratory gases. No idea if thats right though :/
I swear every other question was a suggest question? The worst kind of questions :s-smilie:
Reply 3539
Why do people want to know grade boundaries? Because all of your marks from all papers are added overall at A2 so why does it matter whether people get an A or B etc? (Genuine Q btw)

Latest

Trending

Trending