The Student Room Group

My car insurance got cancelled, where do I stand, how does this effect me?

So I had an accident, not my fault, made a claim. but my insurance company didn't like how I was a named driver on the policy but the owner of the car, however this was made aware to them when I took the policy. so they dropped my claim and refunded my money. I then immediately got new cover elsewhere. I have now received a letter that suggests that what had happened was my insurance had been cancelled. Now i did not know this at the time of getting my new cover. However my new cover is fully in my name now. The company didn't ask me weather I had been cancelled before either. where do I stand, do I need to ring them up and tell them? I don't what to have another policy cancelled cause I didn't know my previous one was? also how does this effect me, and for how long? My new policy is with Diamond, I understand some companies do not insure people who have had polices cancelled, would they?

Super stressed and confused about all this. The accident I had was not my fault, and the person who done it, gave me fake contact details so i'm all kinds of screwed :/

Thank you for any help.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there,

All insurers/brokers dealing with insurance these days ask

Have you ever been declined,cancelled or have terms imposed on your insurance before?

You need get on the phone with the new insurer and tell them you just received a letter from your old insurer and make them aware of the situation or else this new policy is also void?? as the information you provided is false get on the phone before the new insurer search your details on the mib/cue database and cancel your policy

also don't forget to mention the accident you had regardless the claim was successful or not

expect a increase in premium for next 5 years and yes you must declare your insurance was cancelled if your insurer cancelled it

hope this helps
Original post by Prolite
Hey there,

All insurers/brokers dealing with insurance these days ask

Have you ever been declined,cancelled or have terms imposed on your insurance before?

You need get on the phone with the new insurer and tell them you just received a letter from your old insurer and make them aware of the situation or else this new policy is also void?? as the information you provided is false get on the phone before the new insurer search your details on the mib/cue database and cancel your policy

also don't forget to mention the accident you had regardless the claim was successful or not

expect a increase in premium for next 5 years and yes you must declare your insurance was cancelled if your insurer cancelled it

hope this helps

I agree.
All insurance companies ask if you have had insurance cancelled/declined etc in the past. Id phone them and tell them. And if they ask why you didnt tell them when you took the policy out then explain the situation. If you dont tell them and they find out, then theres a chance they could cancel your policy.
When you tell your new insurance about it, the price might go up, so expect that you might have to pay a bit more. Your insurance is also likely to be more expensive in future because of having your insurance cancelled, because you are more of a risk.
When you had the accident, if the other person provided false details, then id get the police involved. You have to give your details after an accident, and i may be wrong but i think providing false details could also be illegal.
Im not sure what happened with your old insurance, but if you told them you where the owner, but just a named driver in the first place, then they should of known, and id get on to them about it. If you where the main driver then its fronting, but theres no evidence to suggest you where.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I'd have gone to the ombudsman. If they accepted the info you gave when you signed up and no details have changed then they are obligated to pay out.

Not sure why anyone has jumped to the conclusion of fronting. I own 4 cars but they aren't all registered in my name and I'm not the main driver of all of them!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nehal:)
So I had an accident, not my fault, made a claim. but my insurance company didn't like how I was a named driver on the policy but the owner of the car, however this was made aware to them when I took the policy. so they dropped my claim and refunded my money. I then immediately got new cover elsewhere. I have now received a letter that suggests that what had happened was my insurance had been cancelled. Now i did not know this at the time of getting my new cover. However my new cover is fully in my name now. The company didn't ask me weather I had been cancelled before either. where do I stand, do I need to ring them up and tell them? I don't what to have another policy cancelled cause I didn't know my previous one was? also how does this effect me, and for how long? My new policy is with Diamond, I understand some companies do not insure people who have had polices cancelled, would they?

Super stressed and confused about all this. The accident I had was not my fault, and the person who done it, gave me fake contact details so i'm all kinds of screwed :/

Thank you for any help.

If it is not asked, it is usually an assumption that you have not had insurance cancelled(other than at end of the terms, e.g. refusal to renew) or had special terms imposed in the last 3/5 years. You should read the T&Cs to be sure, but I would recommend telling them. IF the policy was ended on the grounds that they paid the value of your car after the car was written off, this doesn't mean the policy was cancelled.

With the fake contact details, did you not take their registration plate?
Reply 5
Sounds like you're thoroughly screwed tbh.

And did you not take down the licence plate number?
Original post by rmhumphries
If it is not asked, it is usually an assumption that you have not had insurance cancelled(other than at end of the terms, e.g. refusal to renew) or had special terms imposed in the last 3/5 years. You should read the T&Cs to be sure, but I would recommend telling them. IF the policy was ended on the grounds that they paid the value of your car after the car was written off, this doesn't mean the policy was cancelled.

With the fake contact details, did you not take their registration plate?

Read the original post, the insurance company dropped the claim, they didnt pay out. They cancelled the policy.
Reply 7
i forgot to mention and looks like no one here has told you that the person who was main driver on the insurance policy that got cancelled also has to declare it was cancelled on their policy sorry
Make sure the main driver is registered keeper in the future bro........

💷Certified 💷
Reply 9
[h="3"]Nehal[/h]
First of all, I do sympathize you.

I am not professional but I would go to the (a) ombudsman or (b) the lower! I believe you can sort out the case through them only. Act as fast as you can.
Reply 10
Original post by Thinker2013
[h="3"]Nehal[/h]
First of all, I do sympathize you.

I am not professional but I would go to the (a) ombudsman or (b) the lower! I believe you can sort out the case through them only. Act as fast as you can.

srsly mate you made an account just to post on 5 month old post...

welcome to the forums please visit here
Original post by Prolite
srsly mate you made an account just to post on 5 month old post...

AND? The problem as it is described in first post usually cant be sorted out in a day. So if it was originaly opened 5 months ago does not mean that I can not express my opinion.
Reply 12
I currently have taken a medical for dvla because I was banned 7yrs ago for drink driving
When filling the paper work on the day of the medical it asked if I had used any illegal substances in the last 3yrs I ticked yes bur I stopped in 2012 has I went into a dettox and a rehab for 6mnths for alcohol as I am a recovering alcoholic .
I received a letter by dvla saying there are sugns of me been dependant on cannabis over the last 6mnths which is untrue because ive bot taken aby substances or alcohol sibce I went into dettox and rehab an that was on the 11/12/2012
The letter states that a driver has to be 12 mnths clear of aby substances for 12 mnth if this is thecase I sshould be able to have my licence unrevoked because its been over 18 mnths since I have used any cannabis.
To prove this I have to go to my dr and get proof that I haven't or am not dependent on cannabis this is going to cost me 50 pound to get a letter sent
Having just bought a new car a week ago I taxed it and set up my first years insurance I told my insurance company about the situation because they wanted photo copies of ny driving licence now I have told them they may gace to cancel my insurance so now I will struggle to get insurance from other companies what can I do has this has just been a misunderstanding on my part because I put wrong information on tge paper work I filled in ob the day of the medical once I get the letter from the drs I can hace my licence back
can someone help me i had car insurance cancelled apparently after being deemed high risk do i have put ive had insurance cancelled for the rest of my life or just for the 3-5 yrs
Reply 14
I cancelled the car insurance in my name
But my ex girlfriend is still driving it around
Unaware because she cheated on me who gets in trouble with the law here???
Reply 15
Depends is the car registered in your name if she will get done for no insurance and you can get done as well for knowingly letting some one use it . However if you claimed twoc then it falls on her , though they might be very suspicious due to the above acrimonious issue
Reply 16
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
All insurance companies ask if you have had insurance cancelled/declined etc in the past. Id phone them and tell them. And if they ask why you didnt tell them when you took the policy out then explain the situation. If you dont tell them and they find out, then theres a chance they could cancel your policy.
When you tell your new insurance about it, the price might go up, so expect that you might have to pay a bit more. Your insurance is also likely to be more expensive in future because of having your insurance cancelled, because you are more of a risk.
When you had the accident, if the other person provided false details, then id get the police involved. You have to give your details after an accident, and i may be wrong but i think providing false details could also be illegal.
Im not sure what happened with your old insurance, but if you told them you where the owner, but just a named driver in the first place, then they should of known, and id get on to them about it. If you where the main driver then its fronting, but theres no evidence to suggest you where.

Providing incorrect details after an RTC/RTA is very illegal, you're knowingly providing false information as to protect your own ass from prosecution. Essentially, it's no different from lying to the police when you are asked for insurance details, or anything of that motoring nature.

A similar thing happened to my dad once many years ago, guy who caused the RTC made up his address and his name, all bogus, my dad savvily enough took down the registration of the vehicle the other guy was driving (You'd be surprised how many people forget this in the initial shock of being in an accident), went to the police with it, and they traced the guy through the DVLA.

I believe he received a caution from the police for knowingly providing false information, in an attempt to "pull a fast one", his insurers also jacked his premium right up.
Original post by Dazza666
I cancelled the car insurance in my name
But my ex girlfriend is still driving it around
Unaware because she cheated on me who gets in trouble with the law here???

Her. Shes driving a car that is not insured. Her responsibility to check.

6 points and a nice fine.
Original post by WSH1995
Providing incorrect details after an RTC/RTA is very illegal, you're knowingly providing false information as to protect your own ass from prosecution. Essentially, it's no different from lying to the police when you are asked for insurance details, or anything of that motoring nature.

A similar thing happened to my dad once many years ago, guy who caused the RTC made up his address and his name, all bogus, my dad savvily enough took down the registration of the vehicle the other guy was driving (You'd be surprised how many people forget this in the initial shock of being in an accident), went to the police with it, and they traced the guy through the DVLA.

I believe he received a caution from the police for knowingly providing false information, in an attempt to "pull a fast one", his insurers also jacked his premium right up.

How do you know they jacked his premium up?
You'll be fine. Just don't go past any ANPR cameras on the motorway.

Latest

Trending

Trending