The Student Room Group

GCSE- OCR History British Depth Study 1890-1918

Scroll to see replies

What do you guys think the test'll be on? I think it'll be women's suffrage because January was on WWI and June '12 was on Liberal reforms.
Reply 41
Original post by AparnaX
Read the key questions. THe last one is:
What was the attitude of the British people at the end of the war towards Germany and theParis Peace Conference?

But yeah, basically I'd revise everything except recruitment. But we did recruitment for our mocks so I do know it fairly well.

So would that be under recruitment & war etc?
Yeah that's what I was thinking,
But it was repeated in June 2009 and January 2010
So I'm just a bit scared to take the risk and then cry when I open the exam
Reply 42
Original post by NDM.

That's because the specification changed isn't it? And also june 2009 was recruitment where as jan 2010 was government propaganda. They're both under the Home Front but slightly different.

However, just in case, I think learn these facts:

Britain's army originally consisted of 250,000 men.

Lord Kitchener, Secretary of State of War, was informed at least 1 million were needed so there was a huge government campaign to get young men to enlist.

Recruitment posters, pamphlets, patriotic speeches by politicians, and the setting up of recruitment offices in every town helped drive this campaign.

By the end of the first month 500,000 men enlisted, and by March 1916 2.6 million men had enlisted in 'Kitchener's army'. This showed the effectiveness of government propaganda.

Men joined up in 'Pals Battalions'.

They enlisted because they felt it was their duty to the nation, they wanted to protect their country and family, they were persuaded by recruitment posters, they didn't want to be seen as cowards and generally public pressure (suffragettes went round giving men white feathers as a sign of cowardice for not enlisting), they felt war would be exciting and adventurous, and they wanted to escape from their mundane life or dead-end jobs

750,000 men died in the war and many were mentally scarred. As casualties increased, replacement was needed but volunteer numbers dropped.

Volunteer system was seen as unfair and it damaged agriculture and industries as miners and farmers joined. So in January 1916 conscription was introduced, meaning all single men between 18 and 41 had to join the army (later extended to married men) This may be seen as evidence that gov. propaganda wasn't effective.

Conscientious objectors were people who didn't believe in war for moral, religious or political reasons and didn't want to fight. They were seen as unpatriotic and cowardly, evident by their derisive nickname 'conchies'.

They had to appear in front of a tribunal to prove their reasons were genuine and not out of cowardice.

If they convinced the tribunal they had to participate in non combat activities such as driving ambulances and essential war work e.g. mining. If they didn't do this they could be imprisoned and 1,500 objectors were imprisoned.

If they didn't convince the tribunal, they had to join the army. If they didn't they could be shot

I think thats it for recruitment. There are also civilian casualties if you want to learn those facts:

Total casualties due to air raids = nearly 5,000 (I know the numbers below don't add up to this but its because I haven't mentioned all the raids etc)

December 1914, German battleships shelled towns such as Scarborough and Whitby killing over 100 people.

January 1915, first air raids by German Zeppelin airships. Dropped bombs on East Anglian towns. There were over 50 raids killing over 500 people.

1917 German Gotha bombers made nearly 30 raids killing over 800 people.

And then there's government propaganda and DORA you need to know but you can do that yourself :P Btw, I didn't just know all these facts, I did have to refer to my textbook. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by IHTWFR
^ Some people do Germany for OCR I heard. Anyways, I'm stressing so much cause it seems impossible to answer these questions to a high standard and considering I have a biology exam the same day, I'm stressing like ****!

Argh me too! I'm nowhere near ready for any of them =S
Original post by AparnaX
That's because the specification changed isn't it? And also june 2009 was recruitment where as jan 2010 was government propaganda. They're both under the Home Front but slightly different.

:smile:

Excellent,can i add this to the front page - it will help loads of people!:biggrin:

Sorry for the lack of updates over the past couple of days everyone:frown:-super busy with other exams.
Reply 45
Original post by theslowbaker
Excellent,can i add this to the front page - it will help loads of people!:biggrin:

Sorry for the lack of updates over the past couple of days everyone:frown:-super busy with other exams.

Yeah sure :smile: Dw its fine. Thanks for this thread; its really helpful :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Quantaˌ
I've PM you with the answer. But, for everyone else, you don't really need to know this as it isn't in the official revision guide. But, generally, Lloyd George was in favour of women getting the vote but he was against the actions of the suffragettes.

Its in the specification!
Reply 47
From what my teacher has told me, you might as well revise everything, because there were three exams in a row a couple of years ago that were all on women's suffrage. So it might be wise to go through everything, even what it was in january and last summer :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by 7izzy7
Its in the specification!

But it's not in the official guide, lessons or past papers. I really doubt that they will base a 4/6 question on this or this will even come up. But, it's still good to know, I guess...
I know others have posted predictions, but I here are some extras I know of.

Old spec (but same topics)
Draft specimen - Home front
Specimen - Home front
2003 - Votes for Women
2004 - Home Front
2005 - Reforms
2006 - Home Front
2007 - Votes for Women
2008 - Reforms
2009 - Home Front

New spec.
Specimen - Home Front
jan 2010 - Home Front
And others have posted the rest...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
How is everyone revising for this exam?!
I've looked at the mark schemes, done some questions and made some notes but I don't know what else to do, any ideas?:bl:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2368357

vote on this thread what you think it will be and if so can you justify yourselves
Reply 52
I did this exact module last year, these notes would have been so useful, especially as it came up :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Does anyone have any advice on how to structure these questions especially the 12 markers?!?! I hope Women's Suffrage come up!
Is Women getting the vote/contributing to war effort in the topic of Women's Suffrage or Home Front in WW1?
Reply 54
Original post by Lil_Luffy
Does anyone have any advice on how to structure these questions especially the 12 markers?!?! I hope Women's Suffrage come up!
Is Women getting the vote/contributing to war effort in the topic of Women's Suffrage or Home Front in WW1?

I believe its in the topic of Home Front in WW1
Reply 55
Original post by closet_nerd
I know others have posted predictions, but I here are some extras I know of.

Old spec (but same topics)
Draft specimen - Home front
Specimen - Home front
2003 - Votes for Women
2004 - Home Front
2005 - Reforms
2006 - Home Front
2007 - Votes for Women
2008 - Reforms
2009 - Home Front

New spec.
Specimen - Home Front
jan 2010 - Home Front
And others have posted the rest...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have access to these papers? If so could you please post them? Only from the old specimen up to 2006. I've got papers from June 2007.
Reply 56
Original post by NDM.

I'm so sorry, I read the examiner report for January 2013 and by what I can decipher, I think it was about DORA and impact of ww1 on civilians because it talked about getting people to work and how by striking workers were supporting the germans. So not recruitment. I don't think recruitment specifically has come up yet in this specification so I think its a possibility.
Original post by AparnaX
Do you have access to these papers? If so could you please post them? Only from the old specimen up to 2006. I've got papers from June 2007.

Okies.. I'm new to this site though, so it may take me a while to figure out how to do that...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lil_Luffy

i used the teacher's guide to learn exam technique
just google "OCR History B teachers' handbook"
there is a lot of stuff in it, but if you sift through, some is really helpful (i think the exam technique begins on page 10ish)
hey,
this is the draft specimen paper 2003
at the moment i'm scanning each page and adding them as attachments (which i hope is working because i have no clue how to work this website.. :confused:), if there is an easier way i'd happily do that :wink:
sorry, if the quality isn't very good; this is a scan of a photocopy of a photocopy :wink:
so, in case it is illegible these are the sources:

source a - a really famous propoganda poster which reads, "Daddy, what did YOU do in the Great War?"
source b - also propaganda poster reading, "To the young women of London, Is your best boy wearing khaki? If not, don't YOU THINK he should be? If he does not think that you and your country are worth fighting for, do you think he is WORTHY of you? Don't pity the girl who is alone - her young man is probably a soldier, fighting for her and her country - and for YOU. If your young man neglects his duty to his king and country, you won't be surprised when he NEGLECTS YOU. Join the army TO-DAY."
sources c - e are more clear.
source f - an advert for cigarettes. It has a picture of five British soldiers about to leave the trench for no-man's land. The atmosphere is glorious and glamorous. It reads, "Time for one more, Mitchell's GOLDEN DAWN cigarettes."

I hope the rest is clear, ask if anything needs more explaination :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending