The Student Room Group

Best first car? Citroen C1 or Toyota Aygo?

What's your opinion? Also which tends to be cheaper regarding things like insurance, tax, fuel? :smile:
Reply 1
They're both about the same - they're the same car! They're built in the same factory.

The Aygo is a bit more expensive to buy (Toyota premium) but the C1, the Aygo and the Peugeot 107 - all the same car. Insurance will depend on where you live etc but generally it's cheap as it's only a 1.0l engine.

Have a look on www.c1oc.co.uk - it's the owner club forum for these cars. I'm a member over there (getting one in September), some good stuff and a good forum.

They're cheap to fix as well and are good on fuel. Just don't get a diesel one!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sabian92
They're both about the same - they're the same car! They're built in the same factory.

The Aygo is a bit more expensive to buy (Toyota premium) but the C1, the Aygo and the Peugeot 107 - all the same car. Insurance will depend on where you live etc but generally it's cheap as it's only a 1.0l engine.

Have a look on www.c1oc.co.uk - it's the owner club forum for these cars. I'm a member over there (getting one in September), some good stuff and a good forum.

They're cheap to fix as well and are good on fuel. Just don't get a diesel one!

Thanks for the help :smile: why do you say not to get a diesel one?
Reply 3
Original post by SpottedZebra
Thanks for the help :smile: why do you say not to get a diesel one?

They're rare and the engine is terrible in them. The petrol one is more efficient (and petrol is cheaper!) and the insurance on them is more because it's a 1.4l engine.
What's your opinion? Also which tends to be cheaper regarding things like insurance, tax, fuel? :smile:

As has already been said, the citroen c1, peugeot 107 and toyota aygo are the same car- just with different names.
The toyota will be more expensive to buy as toyotas are a bit more expensive in general, but the other 2 will be around about the same price.
There shouldnt be much difference in terms of insurance, fuel etc, as they are pretty much the same car, just different names.
I have an Aygo and I'm happy with it. Tax is £20 a year, A full tank costs ~£45 and I get between 350-400 miles out of it. I have an Aygo Go! which is a slightly higher insurance group (3) whereas they are usually insurance group 1 which is as low as you can get really. Hope this helps. Any questions, feel free to ask!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by billet-doux
I have an Aygo and I'm happy with it. Insurance is £20 a year, A full tank costs ~£45 and I get between 350-400 miles out of it. I have an Aygo Go! which is a slightly higher insurance group (3) whereas they are usually insurance group 1 which is as low as you can get really. Hope this helps. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Insurance? You mean VED? I wish car insurance was that cheap!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Aygo is £20 for road tax :smile: I have one too and it is my first car, I passed in September and insurance cost me £800, and I'm 20 :smile: you'll be looking at the same sort of figures for whichever car you get though I can't comment on insurance, but my sister has a 107 and out of those and the C1 my mum prefers my aygo because she likes Japanese cars lol (she has a Micra). Hope that helps you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I absolutely :love: those cars! I'd get the C1, purely because they're cheaper. That being said, on the used market, they C1, the Peugeot 107 and the Aygo are about the same price.

Fantastic Mpg, awesome tax. Reasons I don't have one is because the engine is a bit piddly (Though good as a first car), it's a little small, and the boot is lacking a bit, and the engine is no match for Yorkshire hills

But otherwise, those cars are awesome! Every thing about them screams cheap (But good cheap, not bad cheap) Cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap to fix, cheap to buy, cheap to tax
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by de_monies
I absolutely :love: those cars! I'd get the C1, purely because they're cheaper. That being said, on the used market, they C1, the Peugeot 107 and the Aygo are about the same price.

Fantastic Mpg, awesome tax. Reasons I don't have one is because the engine is a bit piddly (Though good as a first car), it's a little small, and the boot is lacking a bit, and the engine is no match for Yorkshire hills

But otherwise, those cars are awesome! Every thing about them screams cheap (But good cheap, not bad cheap) Cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap to fix, cheap to buy, cheap to tax

I can totally confirm what you're saying about hills as I'm in Yorkshire too :P I live right at the top of one so I have to go downhill to work etc and uphill home, it's not fun lol. I miss uni in Hull, there are no hills :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .gina
I can totally confirm what you're saying about hills as I'm in Yorkshire too :P I live right at the top of one so I have to go downhill to work etc and uphill home, it's not fun lol. I miss uni in Hull, there are no hills :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

The worst one is Girlington Road, in Bradford. That's a horrible, horrible hill. I also live on a hill. I miss my uni town, where it's all flat, and I don't have to yank my handbrake up so high!

With my hill, I kinda go up a hill (but a less steep hill), and drive down and park. I don't think any one parks facing uphill.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sabian92
Insurance? You mean VED? I wish car insurance was that cheap!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I meant tax! I was clearly tired that day :tongue:
Original post by .gina
Aygo is £20 for road tax :smile: I have one too and it is my first car, I passed in September and insurance cost me £800, and I'm 20 :smile: you'll be looking at the same sort of figures for whichever car you get though I can't comment on insurance, but my sister has a 107 and out of those and the C1 my mum prefers my aygo because she likes Japanese cars lol (she has a Micra). Hope that helps you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest, which insurance company are you with? Thanks!
Reply 13
Out of interest, which insurance company are you with? Thanks!

I went with Diamond, but Admiral and Elephant were similarly priced as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

They are the same car underneath just a slightly differentbody and a different badge, i should know i own a Toyota Aygo
Reply 15
Sorry, I meant tax! I was clearly tired that day :tongue:

I gathered haha. It is dirt cheap and if you get one of the 2013 petrol ones they're free as they're under the 100 g/km (or whatever the unit is) boundary for group A so they're free.
Reply 16
Diamond, Admiral and Bell are all the same company. It's basically a con trick. My daughter is insured with Bell and when I looked for new quotes on renewal Admiral came out cheaper. When I phoned they "price-matched".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending