The Student Room Group

Biological/Biomedical science fast track course at Belfast Met.

Hi all,
Has anyone done or is in the process of doing the fast track course at Belfast met for Biological/Biomedical science?
I am considering applying to start in September 2013 but I am a bit unsure as I have been out of full time education for nearly 10 years.
Can anyone let me know what the course, coursework, exams are like?
I have been working full time and the thought of going back into full time education makes me excited and nervous as I have been out of the loop of studying, etc for so long.
I am hoping to the go onto do the Speech and Language therapy course.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi

I haven't done an access course so cant really tell you much about it except that you'll have coursework first until April/May then exams. Mix in with your classmates and it'll make all the difference. I attended Belfast met for HND Business and really loved the place.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply and advice.
Ashleigh
Original post by Ash2013
Hi all,
Has anyone done or is in the process of doing the fast track course at Belfast met for Biological/Biomedical science?
I am considering applying to start in September 2013 but I am a bit unsure as I have been out of full time education for nearly 10 years.
Can anyone let me know what the course, coursework, exams are like?
I have been working full time and the thought of going back into full time education makes me excited and nervous as I have been out of the loop of studying, etc for so long.
I am hoping to the go onto do the Speech and Language therapy course.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

Hey, so I just completed my access at Belfast Met. The course is demanding but anybody that was dedicated did complete it. You will complete two coursework(s) to be handed in before Christmas and the following two will be due before Easter. There are four coursework(s) for each subject so if you have two subject then that will be four per term, there is an optional subject also which requires only one coursework per term. The teachers will walk you through them and you will get first and final drafts. I was amazed at the progress I made as a student this year and I do think the access course was great. As for the tests, they are literally essays, you will do two exams for each topic and in those exams you will write two essays per exam. This will work the same for each subject and I recommend writing your essays as you learn the exam topics in class, the teachers will also likely take your exam essay drafts for reviewing and give you feedback on those. I did the History/Sociology last year. When I started my course I was a horrible student, my grammar was all over the place but by the end I myself can't believe the difference in the things that I know. I am glad I did the course it was hectic and I missed a lot of class due to family troubles but the teachers were considerate and helped me through it. Good Luck, I know this is a bit late but I wish someone was there to give me the information last year. Remember what I said about the exam essays, you literally just have to memorise your essays and you will do great. Also, for the extra module subject you will have one exam with two mini essays, everybody I know last year wrote about a three to five page essay but three pages for the exam essays is probably more realistic. If there is anything else you want to know just ask.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Stephanie_12
Hey, so I just completed my access at Belfast Met. The course is demanding but anybody that was dedicated did complete it. You will complete two coursework(s) to be handed in before Christmas and the following two will be due before Easter. There are four coursework(s) for each subject so if you have two subject then that will be four per term, there is an optional subject also which requires only one coursework per term. The teachers will walk you through them and you will get first and final drafts. I was amazed at the progress I made as a student this year and I do think the access course was great. As for the tests, they are literally essays, you will do two exams for each topic and in those exams you will write two essays per exam. This will work the same for each subject and I recommend writing your essays as you learn the exam topics in class, the teachers will also likely take your exam essay drafts for reviewing and give you feedback on those. I did the History/Sociology last year. When I started my course I was a horrible student, my grammar was all over the place but by the end I myself can't believe the difference in the things that I know. I am glad I did the course it was hectic and I missed a lot of class due to family troubles but the teachers were considerate and helped me through it. Good Luck, I know this is a bit late but I wish someone was there to give me the information last year. Remember what I said about the exam essays, you literally just have to memorise your essays and you will do great. Also, for the extra module subject you will have one exam with two mini essays, everybody I know last year wrote about a three to five page essay but three pages for the exam essays is probably more realistic. If there is anything else you want to know just ask.

Thanks for the information, Stephanie.

I will be doing the same course in September at the Belfast Met. It's so great to finally hear from someone who's done it! I've read a ton about access courses, but we do it slightly differently over here so I'm not 100%

I have a few questions if that's okay :tongue: :

1. Do you feel adequately prepared for university?

2. Was the course difficult?

3. What were the tutors/the Belfast Met like? I've only met Andrew and Phil so far, but they seem like lovely people.

4. What optional module did you take? At our information evening we were told we had to take one of either maths, biology or law. Can't say I'm keen on them!

Thanks!
Original post by Salvadora
Thanks for the information, Stephanie.

I will be doing the same course in September at the Belfast Met. It's so great to finally hear from someone who's done it! I've read a ton about access courses, but we do it slightly differently over here so I'm not 100%

I have a few questions if that's okay :tongue: :

1. Do you feel adequately prepared for university?

2. Was the course difficult?

3. What were the tutors/the Belfast Met like? I've only met Andrew and Phil so far, but they seem like lovely people.

4. What optional module did you take? At our information evening we were told we had to take one of either maths, biology or law. Can't say I'm keen on them!

Thanks!

Hey, that's great that your doing the same one, the course is hard, but as you go through the year you'll actually realise that you are prepared for it. We learn all the information needed in class and as long as you listen then you'll do great. I'm glad it's over with to be honest, but at the same time I'm incredibly sad that I don't have class any more. When I finished my last exam at the end of May I think I was in shock that I didn't have class anymore. The course is a brilliant way to wake up your brain and prepare it and I do actually feel prepared for university now, I can't wait to start writing essays, and I wrote that many essays last year that I feel odd now not having any to do... odd in the sense that I want to write them.

The tutors will be Andrew for History who you have already met, and a man named Brian for Sociology (at least that is who I had) both are brilliant teachers that will help all the students through the year and are really lovely. They will give essay plans for the essays and as long as you follow them you'll be grand.

As for the modules I chose Law (Andrew also teaches that one) I loved it, out of all the subjects I found sociology the easiest and it was by far the subject I excelled in, though by the end of the year all my grades were up to the same standard (which was incredibly relieving). As for the law I did love it, it's tricky to say, you either love it or hate it, but everybody got around the same grade wise, all the grades were between 55-75% for that. I think if you like a subject then you will be okay in it. Also, I'm sure that if you did choose the law and didn't like it then there will probably be the opportunity to switch to another optional as a guy in my class did it last year, again it all depends on the reasoning, the guy realised that he needed maths for his uni course and was allowed to switch from law to math. A plus side for Law is that Andrew is super reliable for being there in class and making sure everybody is up to speed, he never once missed a class, nor did Brian. I don't really know much about the maths as I never even considered it, you should check out your relevant uni course and see if they require a math GCSE if they do then the NCAT math course will cover that, if they don't then you will probably be able to do whatever module you want. I (hopefully) will be going to queens and they didn't require maths for me, and ulster accepted the essential skills math I had.

As for the biology, I don't know if it's the same this year but last year I was relieved that I didn't take it as it turned out to in the Castlereagh campus at 9PM, so many people switched to law after that that Andrew had to schedule two classes. Another thing I wanted to add, at the start of my course I was completely clueless. I mean I knew nothing, I left school without any qualifications so when I went in and it seemed like so many people knew so much I panicked, but I was wrong to panic. We were all there because we needed and wanted to be, some people in the class already had A levels and some had even been to uni for the first year, but remember that everybody in the classroom is the same, by time I had completed my first coursework I felt like I could do anything. If there is something you are confused about ask, the teachers will be delighted that you did because a lot of people are probably confused about the same thing and nobody wants to say. By the end of the year, you will be prepared for uni, honestly. I think the Access course is the best way to prepare, it's hectic and the hours aren't actually that much but as I've mentioned before as long as you listen and remember to take notes then the notes you take in class, along with the essay plans you will turn into a better more independent student. Also, so many people said this last year and I didn't listen as long as you attend you will be fine, if you miss classes don't worry, just email the tutors and they will mark your attendance and when you get back borrow someone's notes and photocopy them in the library (I had to do that a few times) All in all, I don't regret the course I am glad I did it and finished it and I loved doing it.

Anyway, good luck, I know you will do great as long as you have confidence in yourself, if there is anything else just say and I'll try to help as much as I can,. If there's anything I haven't covered just let me know. Stay motivated and remember that by this time next year you will be prepared for uni.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks Stephanie_12 for all of your help&info I really appreciate it :smile:
Well I went to my 1st information day a out the biological/biomedical sciences access course that I am wanting to start in sept. it was great very informative. I have to wait now to see if I get picked to get back onto the course as a lot of people applied. I am hoping to attend castlereagh college. I'm glad you mentioned that you had no real qualifications/experience in your course as I would be nervous that I won't have a clue but everyone else will be soo clued in. It's great to know that you just went for and did it :smile: congratulations!!!
Thanks for the advise on the exams by writing them out before hand in preparation. I take it my course will be similar to the 1 you did with lots of essays? The tutor did say at the advice day that an essay will be the 1st thing we do. I have been out of education for 10 years and that's what worries me but you have said the teaches, etc are very helpful which is really reassuring :smile: our tutor did say that the access course that you complete in 1 year will be more difficult than uni. Did you have to draw up a portfolio as part of coursework? They were talking to us about that. If so what is it about? As my optional module I am hoping to do physchology, if I get back in ok :smile: do you have any idea what it would be like?
Thanks again for all of your advice and congratulations on completing your acces course and I wish you all the best for whatever your wanting to do in the future
Ashleigh
Reply 7
Hey, that's great that your doing the same one, the course is hard, but as you go through the year you'll actually realise that you are prepared for it. We learn all the information needed in class and as long as you listen then you'll do great. I'm glad it's over with to be honest, but at the same time I'm incredibly sad that I don't have class any more. When I finished my last exam at the end of May I think I was in shock that I didn't have class anymore. The course is a brilliant way to wake up your brain and prepare it and I do actually feel prepared for university now, I can't wait to start writing essays, and I wrote that many essays last year that I feel odd now not having any to do... odd in the sense that I want to write them.

The tutors will be Andrew for History who you have already met, and a man named Brian for Sociology (at least that is who I had) both are brilliant teachers that will help all the students through the year and are really lovely. They will give essay plans for the essays and as long as you follow them you'll be grand.

As for the modules I chose Law (Andrew also teaches that one) I loved it, out of all the subjects I found sociology the easiest and it was by far the subject I excelled in, though by the end of the year all my grades were up to the same standard (which was incredibly relieving). As for the law I did love it, it's tricky to say, you either love it or hate it, but everybody got around the same grade wise, all the grades were between 55-75% for that. I think if you like a subject then you will be okay in it. Also, I'm sure that if you did choose the law and didn't like it then there will probably be the opportunity to switch to another optional as a guy in my class did it last year, again it all depends on the reasoning, the guy realised that he needed maths for his uni course and was allowed to switch from law to math. A plus side for Law is that Andrew is super reliable for being there in class and making sure everybody is up to speed, he never once missed a class, nor did Brian. I don't really know much about the maths as I never even considered it, you should check out your relevant uni course and see if they require a math GCSE if they do then the NCAT math course will cover that, if they don't then you will probably be able to do whatever module you want. I (hopefully) will be going to queens and they didn't require maths for me, and ulster accepted the essential skills math I had.

As for the biology, I don't know if it's the same this year but last year I was relieved that I didn't take it as it turned out to in the Castlereagh campus at 9PM, so many people switched to law after that that Andrew had to schedule two classes. Another thing I wanted to add, at the start of my course I was completely clueless. I mean I knew nothing, I left school without any qualifications so when I went in and it seemed like so many people knew so much I panicked, but I was wrong to panic. We were all there because we needed and wanted to be, some people in the class already had A levels and some had even been to uni for the first year, but remember that everybody in the classroom is the same, by time I had completed my first coursework I felt like I could do anything. If there is something you are confused about ask, the teachers will be delighted that you did because a lot of people are probably confused about the same thing and nobody wants to say. By the end of the year, you will be prepared for uni, honestly. I think the Access course is the best way to prepare, it's hectic and the hours aren't actually that much but as I've mentioned before as long as you listen and remember to take notes then the notes you take in class, along with the essay plans you will turn into a better more independent student. Also, so many people said this last year and I didn't listen as long as you attend you will be fine, if you miss classes don't worry, just email the tutors and they will mark your attendance and when you get back borrow someone's notes and photocopy them in the library (I had to do that a few times) All in all, I don't regret the course I am glad I did it and finished it and I loved doing it.

Anyway, good luck, I know you will do great as long as you have confidence in yourself, if there is anything else just say and I'll try to help as much as I can,. If there's anything I haven't covered just let me know. Stay motivated and remember that by this time next year you will be prepared for uni.

Thank you so much for answering my questions!

I'm glad to hear that it's normal to feel clueless. A big worry for me was entering this course having been out of education for a couple of years, and feeling completely out of my depth. I would have been stumbling onto the course with so much up in air :smile:

Just two last questions, if that's okay.

How was the financial side of things? I've applied for the Further Education Award and intend to apply for the hardship grant.

What was the time commitment like (i.e time spent in classes/on your own)?
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you so much for answering my questions!

I'm glad to hear that it's normal to feel clueless. A big worry for me was entering this course having been out of education for a couple of years, and feeling completely out of my depth. I would have been stumbling onto the course with so much up in air :smile:

Just two last questions, if that's okay.

How was the financial side of things? I've applied for the Further Education Award and intend to apply for the hardship grant.

What was the time commitment like (i.e time spent in classes/on your own)?

Hey, so the financial side is the difficult part of the course for me. I didn't get too much in the grants but again your circumstances will be taken into consideration and I didn't apply for the hardship because I am dumb (seriously I forgot that it existed). You would probably benefit from talking to a financial advisor at the college, I'm not too sure on what else there is for financial help but between the grants and the hardship you should be fine. A lot of people were in the course and still working full time and managed to make it work.

As for time,I was in for a total of 15 or 16 hours per week, which is not that much. The only difficult day for me was Thursday as I was in in the morning then I had law from 3-6in the evening which meant that I had to stay in tech for a few hours in-between. There is also a study skills class which is required to be passed, it is possibly the easiest thing that anybody could ever do so don't worry too much about that.

To be totally honest I left all my work until the last minute, I did miss a lot of class due to family issues, and that resulted in me doing a lot of the work on my own at home I did all the second term work at home without any help from anyone. Most of my work at home was

... I got my results today, this morning to be exact and I passed with the equivalent of an A in each subject which exceeded my (and everybody elses) expectations and now I now for certain that I got my course requirements. Keep in mind that my results at the start of last year were not the greatest, it's never too late. My first coursework feedback was focused on my spelling and grammar because I didn't know how to write a sentence properly. If somebody had of told me this time last year that I'd be going to queens I would never have believed them.

It was a difficult thing the access course, but you can and will be able to do it, it's not as scary as it seems right now. I'm proof that anybody can do it. My mum said she thought I was going to feint when she saw me standing there with the letter, and my cheeks still hurt from smiling so much :colondollar: You are going to do great. I'm happy for you that you have this amazing journey ahead of you now, so good luck and don't panic, I wish someone would have told me not to panic this time last year, I was completely lost
Reply 9
Hey, so the financial side is the difficult part of the course for me. I didn't get too much in the grants but again your circumstances will be taken into consideration and I didn't apply for the hardship because I am dumb (seriously I forgot that it existed). You would probably benefit from talking to a financial advisor at the college, I'm not too sure on what else there is for financial help but between the grants and the hardship you should be fine. A lot of people were in the course and still working full time and managed to make it work.

As for time,I was in for a total of 15 or 16 hours per week, which is not that much. The only difficult day for me was Thursday as I was in in the morning then I had law from 3-6in the evening which meant that I had to stay in tech for a few hours in-between. There is also a study skills class which is required to be passed, it is possibly the easiest thing that anybody could ever do so don't worry too much about that.

To be totally honest I left all my work until the last minute, I did miss a lot of class due to family issues, and that resulted in me doing a lot of the work on my own at home I did all the second term work at home without any help from anyone. Most of my work at home was

... I got my results today, this morning to be exact and I passed with the equivalent of an A in each subject which exceeded my (and everybody elses) expectations and now I now for certain that I got my course requirements. Keep in mind that my results at the start of last year were not the greatest, it's never too late. My first coursework feedback was focused on my spelling and grammar because I didn't know how to write a sentence properly. If somebody had of told me this time last year that I'd be going to queens I would never have believed them.

It was a difficult thing the access course, but you can and will be able to do it, it's not as scary as it seems right now. I'm proof that anybody can do it. My mum said she thought I was going to feint when she saw me standing there with the letter, and my cheeks still hurt from smiling so much :colondollar: You are going to do great. I'm happy for you that you have this amazing journey ahead of you now, so good luck and don't panic, I wish someone would have told me not to panic this time last year, I was completely lost

Congratulations! It's incredible what you've achieved. It gives me so much hope! I'm hoping to go to Queen's to do Social Anthropology or History, and to hear from someone who has been down the path and succeeded means so much.

p.s thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions.
Congratulations! It's incredible what you've achieved. It gives me so much hope! I'm hoping to go to Queen's to do Social Anthropology or History, and to hear from someone who has been down the path and succeeded means so much.

p.s thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

Cool, I'm doing History/Sociology and my insurance was History and Social Anthropology, they both sounded amazing and I was stuck between what to choose. Fortunately for me my brain seems to do great things with sociology so I went with that. I met some pretty great friends this year who are in the Social Anthropology course though. My brother might be doing the same course this year which is pretty cool. Congratulations on getting into the course and it was really no trouble answering questions, in fact it gave me the opportunity to blabber on and write, (which I'm sure it is clear that I love doing). Anyway, good luck and take care.
Original post by Ash2013
Well I went to my 1st information day a out the biological/biomedical sciences access course that I am wanting to start in sept. it was great very informative. I have to wait now to see if I get picked to get back onto the course as a lot of people applied. I am hoping to attend castlereagh college. I'm glad you mentioned that you had no real qualifications/experience in your course as I would be nervous that I won't have a clue but everyone else will be soo clued in. It's great to know that you just went for and did it :smile: congratulations!!!
Thanks for the advise on the exams by writing them out before hand in preparation. I take it my course will be similar to the 1 you did with lots of essays? The tutor did say at the advice day that an essay will be the 1st thing we do. I have been out of education for 10 years and that's what worries me but you have said the teaches, etc are very helpful which is really reassuring :smile: our tutor did say that the access course that you complete in 1 year will be more difficult than uni. Did you have to draw up a portfolio as part of coursework? They were talking to us about that. If so what is it about? As my optional module I am hoping to do physchology, if I get back in ok :smile: do you have any idea what it would be like?
Thanks again for all of your advice and congratulations on completing your acces course and I wish you all the best for whatever your wanting to do in the future
Ashleigh

Hey Ashleigh, so you won't have to do a portfolio, the only thing we are graded in is our essays and our exams, so you'll be fine on that part. I didn't have any experience with psychology myself, but I did make a few friends that were doing Sociology/psychology and all that I asked about it loved it. They liked it more than sociology and I loved Sociology so, I'm sure that you'll be great. The essays will more than likely work the same way, I'm speaking from what I know from my friends as I did a different subject than you will be doing. The psychology module did seem very interesting though and If I had have been given the option I would have chosen it in the beginning. Also, don't worry too much about the coursework do your best and you will have the first draft. I know me telling you guys not to worry is probably pointless because I've been where you are now and I wouldn't have listened. All we can do is our best and believe me, nobody can fail if they do their best, if you do psychology then you may have Phil as a teacher, she is a lovely teacher. I was out of education and without any qualifications so I literally went from having nothing to having the equivalent to three A levels in a year, you can do it, both you Ashleigh and Andy. The essays you write for coursework and the exam essays will be the only work you are marked on, alongside the study skill I mentioned in an earlier post. The study skill, don't worry too much about it, you do it in an hour per week and it's like first year work so don't focus on that. You're first essay will more than likely easier than the rest so they won't throw you in at the deep end don't worry. I remember last year feeling so stupid and lost but I am so glad that I stuck it out. You will both do great because you really want this. Also, the access course is designed to be hectic, it seems horrible at the time but you will be okay, everybody saying how hard it is doesn't help. Take it one step at a time, when you get your essays to do, do the first one you get before you focus on doing any other essays for other subjects. The key is not to let yourself get overwhelmed. It will prepare you for uni and for anything else you will do. What I kept on telling myself last year is If someone else can do this, then why shouldn't I be able to?. So if you ever do feel overwhelmed just remember other people like me were there just last year feeling exactly the same way, but we got through it just like you will. I said before, when we go into an access course we are all in the same boat, some others may have qualifications but others like me didn't, but we all left with the same access qualification and going to university. Good Luck you two, if your ever feeling overwhelmed just take a little break and relax and remember the tutors are there to help and they will walk you through.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi all,

I am starting the Fast Track Biological/Biomedical Access course in Sept 2013 also & I was wondering would anyone have an idea of the actual timetable if I took Psychology as my option. I work full time & have to let my boss know what hours I need to cut down to. If someone did the course last year I would really appreciate their help if they knew the timetable of last year to give me an idea please??!! Thank you....Katie

Original post by Ash2013
Ashleigh
Reply 13
Hey Ashleigh, so you won't have to do a portfolio, the only thing we are graded in is our essays and our exams, so you'll be fine on that part. I didn't have any experience with psychology myself, but I did make a few friends that were doing Sociology/psychology and all that I asked about it loved it. They liked it more than sociology and I loved Sociology so, I'm sure that you'll be great. The essays will more than likely work the same way, I'm speaking from what I know from my friends as I did a different subject than you will be doing. The psychology module did seem very interesting though and If I had have been given the option I would have chosen it in the beginning. Also, don't worry too much about the coursework do your best and you will have the first draft. I know me telling you guys not to worry is probably pointless because I've been where you are now and I wouldn't have listened. All we can do is our best and believe me, nobody can fail if they do their best, if you do psychology then you may have Phil as a teacher, she is a lovely teacher. I was out of education and without any qualifications so I literally went from having nothing to having the equivalent to three A levels in a year, you can do it, both you Ashleigh and Andy. The essays you write for coursework and the exam essays will be the only work you are marked on, alongside the study skill I mentioned in an earlier post. The study skill, don't worry too much about it, you do it in an hour per week and it's like first year work so don't focus on that. You're first essay will more than likely easier than the rest so they won't throw you in at the deep end don't worry. I remember last year feeling so stupid and lost but I am so glad that I stuck it out. You will both do great because you really want this. Also, the access course is designed to be hectic, it seems horrible at the time but you will be okay, everybody saying how hard it is doesn't help. Take it one step at a time, when you get your essays to do, do the first one you get before you focus on doing any other essays for other subjects. The key is not to let yourself get overwhelmed. It will prepare you for uni and for anything else you will do. What I kept on telling myself last year is If someone else can do this, then why shouldn't I be able to?. So if you ever do feel overwhelmed just remember other people like me were there just last year feeling exactly the same way, but we got through it just like you will. I said before, when we go into an access course we are all in the same boat, some others may have qualifications but others like me didn't, but we all left with the same access qualification and going to university. Good Luck you two, if your ever feeling overwhelmed just take a little break and relax and remember the tutors are there to help and they will walk you through.

Thanks so much Stephanie for all of your replies, they have been so helpful and informative.
I can see you enjoy essays by your replies, its great as they are so detailed. Wwell done and congratualtions on your fantastic results, well done you!!! Do they give you an overall % for the access course? I am hoping that if I get back in for the access course, to go onto uni to do speech and language therapy they require you to have "Pass with overall average of 70% - 71% to include 70% in each final year module". Did you get a %? Are these % harder for people to achieve?
The thought of the access course is scary as I have been out of full time education for like 10 years. I did di a level 3 NVQ in pharmacy services while I was working in pharmacy so i'm hoping that will help me get back into the access course as a lot of people applied so they have to choose who gets onto the course, here's hoping!!!
Just to check as well Stephanie on your exams is it like 1 question you are given to write your essay on? Do you know that question before the exams? Is this how you can write you essay before the exam?
Thanks Ashleigh :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kitty37
Hi all,

I am starting the Fast Track Biological/Biomedical Access course in Sept 2013 also & I was wondering would anyone have an idea of the actual timetable if I took Psychology as my option. I work full time & have to let my boss know what hours I need to cut down to. If someone did the course last year I would really appreciate their help if they knew the timetable of last year to give me an idea please??!! Thank you....Katie

Hey Katie, I don't know what your timetable will be like but the hours aren't too overwhelming. I had the Monday off, as far as I know the rest of the classes had the Friday off instead. I was in 3 - 5 on Tuesday, 9-12 on Wednesday then 12-1 for personal tutorial on the Wednesday, on the Thursday it was tricky. I has Sociology in the morning from 11AM - 1PM. Then I had a two hour break and then I had Law from 3 - 6PM. It worked out easier for me to stay in the building inbetween. On the Friday I had three things, I had study skills in the morning 9 - 10AM, then Sociology from 10 - 1 then I had study skills ICT from 2 - 3PM, this was later changed to 1-2 PM on the request of the students. in total I was in for around 15/16 hours. That is actually very little for a full time course. I'm certain that you're timetable will be different of course a they make the timetables new at the beginning of each academic year. The besst thing would be to ask your employer to wait until the beginning of September to change your hours. Good Luck.
Original post by Ash2013
Thanks so much Stephanie for all of your replies, they have been so helpful and informative.
I can see you enjoy essays by your replies, its great as they are so detailed. Wwell done and congratualtions on your fantastic results, well done you!!! Do they give you an overall % for the access course? I am hoping that if I get back in for the access course, to go onto uni to do speech and language therapy they require you to have "Pass with overall average of 70% - 71% to include 70% in each final year module". Did you get a %? Are these % harder for people to achieve?
The thought of the access course is scary as I have been out of full time education for like 10 years. I did di a level 3 NVQ in pharmacy services while I was working in pharmacy so i'm hoping that will help me get back into the access course as a lot of people applied so they have to choose who gets onto the course, here's hoping!!!
Just to check as well Stephanie on your exams is it like 1 question you are given to write your essay on? Do you know that question before the exams? Is this how you can write you essay before the exam?
Thanks Ashleigh :smile:

Hey Ashleigh, you do indeed get a pass rate in the form of percentage, it is one percentage for the overall grade, on my certificate i got it told me what my exact grade was in each module but those individual marks aren't really relevant. For example if a person doesn't do as well in one subject then they could excel in another and their grades would all combine into one overall mark, the overall percentage is what the university will want. I achieved over 70% so that was exciting I only needed 65% for my queens course, although your course sounds very exciting. I'm thinking of trying UCAS adjustment to see if I can get into a better course now as I did better than I thought. Now, you asked are those percentages harder, they may seem like it at the time, but remember that at the start of last year, I wasn't achieving those results, my first coursework back was 65, and that was on the 25% coursework (the easier one) it was very strange for me to see that the work I did better in were the ones that everybody else was finding harder and they were worth more for example when I got my results back for the 35% coursework I had achieved 75% when I got 10% less in the easier one. The only difference for me was that I stopped second guessing myself and just went for it. I think the fact that you already have a level 3 qualification will prove to them that you have the ability to do it. I can't see any valid reason that they would turn you down. If you haven't heard back yet then don't worry too much, I didn't hear until August of last year. You will get a response eventually although if you are worried, then just phone up and ask for an estimated date for a response.

As for the exams, you will study the exam topics through the year and you will be given an idea of how you are expected to go about that topic. Some teachers will give you questions to practice your draft with, one of my teachers actually got us to make our own questions. However, this teacher has mentioned questions though the year that could be practised on so we had a vague idea. Don't worry, you won't be going into the exams in the dark. Everything will have been done and dusted all the work will be covered, and you will even have the entire month of April to study for exams, which is frankly wonderful. I was a bit messed up because my coursework were in late and I didn't have that month to revise, I even missed most of the revision classes, but I got it done in the end. My poor teachers were marking my mock essays a week before the exams. All in all, there isn't anything to really worry about you will do great and you will have the opportunity to be well prepared with revised essays pre written for the exams. I did thing it was beneficial to me that I basically wrote mini essays when we were covering the exam topics as it helped me remember them. Good Luck Ashleigh! (Also, you will get multiple exam topic choices to choose from) :smile::smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Thank you Stephanie, that at least has giving me some insight to what the hours might be like!! I've to hold down a 50 hour week job & do the course, so I'm gonna have a hard year lol!! I don't mind though as I'll hopefully get my goal in the end. K
Hey guys, that's some really great information there!

I got an offer to start biological/biomedical science fast track this sept in TQ. I did apply back in February though. I'm just waiting on my official results for my maths level 2 which I completed in June. I know I've passed but need confirmation of the result.

I've been out of full time study since 1994! So I'm nearing 36 years old with a 2 year old daughter! So I know it's going to be tough but I'm determined to do it.

I'm thinking about going on to do speech and language therapy or OT as my second choice...

Hope you guys do get onto the access course! I'll maybe see you in class!

Lavinia
Reply 18
Hey I just did the fast track one year biological sciences course too. We did not get a chance to submit drafts of essays though , so it was quite nerve wracking getting graded on something a lot of us hadn't done in a long time (I was in my 30s out of education for a long time) with no comeback and some unis stipulating a certain amount of marks in all modules.

OP: Im sure you probably know this already, but if you're doing S&L and want to do it at Ulster, you need to do a test similar to an aptitude test called an "HPAT", and the cut off point for speech and language is very high (although if you are good at this sort of thing on the plus side Ulster go by this alone and dont even read your personal statement)

And would also add (sorry if ive got this wrong , but i just skimmed) in the biological FT exams whilst there are two essay type questions for biology , these are only 20 marks and we had no preparation beforehand. The Chemistry had an investigation type question, also worth around the same.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by p1nkang3l
Hey guys, that's some really great information there!

I got an offer to start biological/biomedical science fast track this sept in TQ. I did apply back in February though. I'm just waiting on my official results for my maths level 2 which I completed in June. I know I've passed but need confirmation of the result.

I've been out of full time study since 1994! So I'm nearing 36 years old with a 2 year old daughter! So I know it's going to be tough but I'm determined to do it.

I'm thinking about going on to do speech and language therapy or OT as my second choice...

Hope you guys do get onto the access course! I'll maybe see you in class!

Lavinia

Hi Lavinia,
Congratulations on getting the offer :smile: I didn't apply until later in the year so I am hoping to hear back over the next few weeks if I have got back or not :smile: I am hoping to go to castle reach campus so unfortunately if I get back we won't be at the same college.
I am hoping to hopefully go on and do SLT or OT as my 2nd choice if I get into the access course and get the grades needed.
Good luck with your journey take care Ashleigh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending