The Student Room Group

Private A levels?

I want to do private A levels along with my btec, but theres one thing I need to know.
Do you need the gcse requirements to do the a level privately?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How do you mean privately? do you mean not in a college? Like distance learning or home learning?
Reply 2
Not doing it in college.
Contacting a local exam centre and have myself take an a level exam there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
i dont think so, the requirements are more like guidelines for schools and colleges to use, obviously, i wouldnt advise anybody with a B in gcse maths taking further maths a level
Reply 4
Technically yes you can do the exams without the GCSEs, but you are going to fail if you try to attempt an A-Level in a mainstream subject like maths, science, Fench, etc, without the GCSEs. Some A-Levels such as psychology, sociology, politics, etc do not have exact GCSE requirements, but still expect that you know how to write essays.
Reply 5
Original post by JPL9457
i dont think so, the requirements are more like guidelines for schools and colleges to use, obviously, i wouldnt advise anybody with a B in gcse maths taking further maths a level

Oh here we go again...

Please stop generalising, if a person is really dedicated but they under performed at GCSE then they can make it up at a-level by working hard. Though I have extreme bias as I got a B at GCSE but now coasting on high A's at A-level :dontknow:, I will agree that quite a number find it difficult but these people aren't ready for A-levels at all if they still have the GCSE mentality
Original post by iWoof
I want to do private A levels along with my btec, but theres one thing I need to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely no. I did homeschool so all my exams were private. I did five a levels and didnt do gcses in three of those subjects
Reply 7
Thank you!
And thanks Robbie :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Robbie242
Oh here we go again...

Please stop generalising, if a person is really dedicated but they under performed at GCSE then they can make it up at a-level by working hard. Though I have extreme bias as I got a B at GCSE but now coasting on high A's at A-level :dontknow:, I will agree that quite a number find it difficult but these people aren't ready for A-levels at all if they still have the GCSE mentality

yes, but you are an exception

and didnt you do foundation gcse maths?
As mentioned, no.

If you pay for it and sit the exams as an external student, then no one will care.
Reply 10
Original post by JPL9457
yes, but you are an exception

and didnt you do foundation gcse maths?

Yes but if the OP is willing to privately sit A-levels then the OP will learn self teaching skills and hence WILL HAVE to work hard, like I did.

I did foundation in November, got a D, I did foundation in March, got another D I did higher in June and got a B, so yeah I kinda did sit foundation I suppose
Reply 11
Yes but if the OP is willing to privately sit A-levels then the OP will learn self teaching skills and hence WILL HAVE to work hard, like I did.

I did foundation in November, got a D, I did foundation in March, got another D I did higher in June and got a B, so yeah I kinda did sit foundation I suppose

how on earth did you do so bad at foundation yet a B in higher?
Reply 12
Original post by JPL9457
how on earth did you do so bad at foundation yet a B in higher?

Hard work and dedication, smashed through a ton of GCSE papers running up to the exam
Reply 13
Hard work and dedication, smashed through a ton of GCSE papers running up to the exam

i have just realised something interesting...

you are getting into the 90s ums percentage range, yet you actually had to do a 'ton of gcse papers' to get a B in gcse maths, whereas i did only a few hours revision the weekend before all my maths tests and came out with an A*, interesting

it is very suspicious how you are doing so well at a level...
Reply 14
Yes, it's costly though but good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by JPL9457
i have just realised something interesting...

you are getting into the 90s ums percentage range, yet you actually had to do a 'ton of gcse papers' to get a B in gcse maths, whereas i did only a few hours revision the weekend before all my maths tests and came out with an A*, interesting

it is very suspicious how you are doing so well at a level...

Yeah I didn't push myself at all until after that maths exam during my GCSEs, but now I've pushed myself and achieved my potential. Everybody is different, after being fed foundation for so long I was only taught the simple less appreciative mathematics, as difficulty rises I tend to enjoy myself more in mathematics. But I didn't work hard in GCSEs but I did in A-level, that is the key difference that has allowed me to break the 90ums boundary in maths and further maths.

Not really, its just hard work and becoming a more efficient mathematician. On August 15th I could take a photo of my grades if u don't actually believe me. I got 98ums in C1 in January this is the only AS-level grade for mathematics I have received so far, but the others look promising. Plus I'm a maths applicant and have a passion for mathematics, does that help you clear up any mysteries you had about my progress? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Yeah I didn't push myself at all until after that maths exam during my GCSEs, but now I've pushed myself and achieved my potential. Everybody is different, after being fed foundation for so long I was only taught the simple less appreciative mathematics, as difficulty rises I tend to enjoy myself more in mathematics. But I didn't work hard in GCSEs but I did in A-level, that is the key difference that has allowed me to break the 90ums boundary in maths and further maths.

Not really, its just hard work and becoming a more efficient mathematician. On August 15th I could take a photo of my grades if u don't actually believe me. I got 98ums in C1 in January this is the only AS-level grade for mathematics I have received so far, but the others look promising. Plus I'm a maths applicant and have a passion for mathematics, does that help you clear up any mysteries you had about my progress? :smile:

please do take a photo of your grades

and what do you mean 'plus i'm a maths applicant', have i missed something obvious in this quote, i dont get it sorry

working three hours a night is great, i think you will hit the ground running when you get to a top university for maths
Reply 17
Original post by JPL9457

and what do you mean 'plus i'm a maths applicant', have i missed something obvious in this quote, i dont get it sorry

working three hours a night is great, i think you will hit the ground running when you get to a top university for maths

Will do, btw I'm expecting S1 and M1 to be low 80s but overall average will be 90+, if that confuses you on results day. (FP1, C2, S2 all >90)

Taking a greater interest in the subject outside reading, incentive effects blahblah etc develops my mathematical skills

Thanks
Original post by iWoof

Posted from TSR Mobile

do u mean externally private candidate sort of thing?
Reply 19
Original post by JPL9457

Just thought I'd return here and fulfill my promise.

photo (21).JPG

cheers

PS I got S2 wrong, I said >90 when in fact it was 90 :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending