The Student Room Group

Automatic fail driving test / minors

Hi Lol I have my driving test on the 15th of August @ Hither green and would like to know what mistakes can lead to an automatic fail?

And also can undue hesitation lead to a fail?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I failed my first test with 2 majors and a minor. From what I learnt:

Don't hesitate too much at a roundabout. If you miss 3 clear spaces then you will fail. (2 is fine)
Make sure you overtake cyclists if it's clear because that counts as a major. :colondollar:
Stay in the correct lane (left hand lane) if there're two lanes turning right onto a dual carriageway.
Don't cut anyone up on a roundabout.
If the instructor has to apply the breaks once in the test that's an automatic fail.

Obviously don't crash either...
Reply 2
undue hesitation will probably be a minor but if you accumulate a few then they might be a major.
majors include: hitting kerbs, failing to complete your manoeuvre properly, speeding, leaving an indicator on, lack of observation. Generally anything you do where you could put yourself or others at danger or any situation where the examiner thinks you're not in control of the car.
Any intervention by the examiner is an automatic fail, be it them using their foot controls or grabbing the wheel.

Clipping door mirrors of parked cars is, as well as any sort of contact with another vehicle.

Also a pretty obscure one but people still do it, is ripping the handbrake up rather than pushing the button in and pulling it up fairly gently.

There are some that you might think are fails but actually aren't, such as scraping a curb or stalling. If you manage to get going again quickly and safely after a stall then most of the time it will be a minor, unless you stall in the middle of a roundabout, crossroads or halfway out of a junction so you're blocking the path of oncoming vehicles therefore causing them to slow down or stop.
Reply 4
thank you
I got a major before from pulling out from a T junction when a car was turning into the same junction, but there was a car close behind which had to slow down because of me.
Reply 6
did you re-book the practical test?

Original post by rmhumphries
I got a major before from pulling out from a T junction when a car was turning into the same junction, but there was a car close behind which had to slow down because of me.
Original post by singleandrich
did you re-book the practical test?

Yep, and the time after I passed.
Reply 8
nice :smile:
Had about 27.5 lessons. How many lessons did you have before you took the first practical test and 2nd attempt?
Yep, and the time after I passed.
nice :smile:
Had about 27.5 lessons. How many lessons did you have before you took the first practical test and 2nd attempt?

I had about 50 before my first test, however I could have done it in less but I was only learning in my hometown during the holidays, split over a year, so about 10 hours of that was 'refresher' lessons getting back into it. Maybe another 10 hours before my next test.
Reply 10
I got a major for hesitating to pull away at green lights.

You will get a major for attempting to do the three point turn if there's people walking down the path. The examiner will still ask you to do it if there's people there but will fail you if you proceed. Also touching the kerb is a fail.
You will faill for not braking quick enough during the emergency stop.
You must look around 360 degrees before pulling away after an emergency stop because you're in the middle of the road.
thanks

Original post by Camoxide
I got a major for hesitating to pull away at green lights.

You will get a major for attempting to do the three point turn if there's people walking down the path. The examiner will still ask you to do it if there's people there but will fail you if you proceed. Also touching the kerb is a fail.
You will faill for not braking quick enough during the emergency stop.
You must look around 360 degrees before pulling away after an emergency stop because you're in the middle of the road.
:smile:

I had about 50 before my first test, however I could have done it in less but I was only learning in my hometown during the holidays, split over a year, so about 10 hours of that was 'refresher' lessons getting back into it. Maybe another 10 hours before my next test.
what tips would you give for the parallel parking
Reply 14
what tips would you give for the parallel parking

Make sure you turn the wheel one full turn left as soon as the 2 back bumpers are parallel (yours and the car you're parking behind), I found today that I was slightly off a couple of times and it made me end up a lot further away than I should be. Then full lock right as soon as the road disappears in the mirror.

Then...hope for the best.
Reply 15
I took my test in hither green in April..apparently its an automatic fail if your mirrors touch or hit the width restrictors. You can also get failed automatically for causing danger to yourself or other road users eg speeding, running a red light, not giving pedestrians time to cross the road
did you rebook your test?

Original post by Sparklees
I took my test in hither green in April..apparently its an automatic fail if your mirrors touch or hit the width restrictors. You can also get failed automatically for causing danger to yourself or other road users eg speeding, running a red light, not giving pedestrians time to cross the road
Reply 17
If the instructor has to interfere at all then you automatically fail.
Reply 18
Original post by Camoxide
You will get a major for attempting to do the three point turn if there's people walking down the path. The examiner will still ask you to do it if there's people there but will fail you if you proceed.
Hang on a minute.. let's use some judgement here. As long as the pedestrians are safely on the footpath and you remain safely OFF the footpath (on the road), there is nothing wrong with making some headway into the manoeuvre as long as you are under full control and not careering at speed towards the path and frightening the pedestrians.

It is unacceptable to sit there for several minutes while waiting for pedestrians who are some distance away just because "they are on the path". Judgement has to be used. By all means pause as you approach the pavement if the pedestrians are literally passing your bonnet.

Those who got a serious fault for manoeuvring near pedestrians did something specifically wrong (many candidates only tell half the story); they did not fail merely for proceeding when people were on the path opposite.
(edited 10 years ago)
I failed my first test because I cut into traffic accidentally. 2 minutes from the test centre and all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending