The Student Room Group

How much of my personal statement should be about extra curricular activites & work?

How much of my personal statement should be about extra curricular activites & work?
Reply 1
A small paragraph, unless your work experience relates to the course you want to do. In which case about 1/3.
Reply 2
Original post by FizzicsGuy

The vast majority of your PS should be academic as ECs aren't massively important. Have a look at our guide to writing your personal statement! :smile:

The bulk of your PS should be about why you want to study the course. For your ECs and work, focus on anything that is directly related to your course, but as a general rule of thumb, no more than 20-25% of your PS should be about ECs and work.
Reply 4
Original post by Shelly_x
A small paragraph, unless your work experience relates to the course you want to do. In which case about 1/3.

oh dear! :frown: I have a separate paragraph for work exp at 900 chars and a separate one for work and extra ciriculars at 1500 chars. I'm gonna need to cut back.:rolleyes:

At least I have plenty of time :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
oh dear! :frown: I have a separate paragraph for work exp at 900 chars and a separate one for work and extra ciriculars at 1500 chars. I'm gonna need to cut back.:rolleyes:

At least I have plenty of time :biggrin:

The majority of your personal statement should be about the subject you're applying for and why you're passionate about it/want to do it. Your relevant work experience will be a part of this. Work and extra curriculars should be mentioned only briefly, with 5 lines at the very most since they aren't really relevant.
Reply 6
Original post by Shelly_x
The majority of your personal statement should be about the subject you're applying for and why you're passionate about it/want to do it. Your relevant work experience will be a part of this. Work and extra curriculars should be mentioned only briefly, with 5 lines at the very most since they aren't really relevant.

I started again and so far it reads better and makes me sound more interested in the course. Thanks for answering my question or I would have just left it as a rubbish PS. :biggrin:
20% tops.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending