The Student Room Group

Which med schools don't look at AS'?

Bottom line is, I received poor AS grades but have good gcse's. which med schools don't count AS' as part of their application procedure or don't rate them importantly? And which do people recommend myself and others in the same situation apply to.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Jo 123
Bottom line is, I received poor AS grades but have good gcse's. which med schools don't count AS' as part of their application procedure or don't rate them importantly? And which do people recommend myself and others in the same situation apply to.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you regard as a 'poor AS grade'?
Reply 2
Also, what are you predicted for A2?
Reply 3
ABBC.. And I'm dropping the C which was in maths. Will try and pursuade my teachers to predict me 3 A's though which should help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Jo 123
ABBC.. And I'm dropping the C which was in maths. Will try and pursuade my teachers to predict me 3 A's though which should help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, my advice personally is, take the UKCAT first. Then look at which universities to apply at. As currently, a lot of universities which may not take into account AS level results look heavily on a good UKCAT and good GCSE results. I would also reccomend you go onto the UCAS website and read entry requirements for individual universities as all of them have posted what they want there. However, from what I can remember, Liverpool doesn't look at AS results and they don't look at the UKCAT either, however, they do look at GCSE's, candidates are awarded points for their top 8ish GCSEs and their personal statement is also looked at and the top candidates are invited for interview.
Reply 5
Off the cuff, Cambridge and Birmingham do so avoid those. UCL frowns on module resits and thus that would essentially be out of the question as well.
Reply 6
Thanks so much. I got 8A*s and 2A's at gcse so hopefully I can use that and my
Ukcat to my advantage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Queen Mary (barts and the london) and Kings college university don't look at AS grades. So long as you can acheive the grades within a 2 year period, have the minimum requirements that they ask for and good ukcat score then you will be considered. If you are going to resit modules, it does not prejudice your application to these med schools.
Oxford don't look at AS grades at all (at least they didn't last year, and I don't think this has changed). If your GCSEs were 100% A* or close to that, it might be worth applying to Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending