The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Worms
Helllloooo!

Nope sorry, I did modern Germany (forgotten time frame already) and early tudors (I have also forgotten the time frame for this module), although I do think I am doing that module or a similar Russian history module for A2 next year!

How did you find it?

ahh fair enough ! i thought it went really really well , but i did the History : Modern 1795-2003 exam ( Russian one haha) and the History : Modern 1815-1945 - although i 1900-1924 on that one.

came out of the russian one CONFIDENT of full ums , was certain i'd nailed the both 50 markers , one of them i'd prepared a plan for just before the exam and everything ( got lucky and guessed the three questions haha ) applied correct structure and everything ...

got 80/100. borderline A. i know it's not a bad mark , but really annoyed considering i thought i would have got atleast 90 !

how about you ?
Reply 321
Original post by MeganRok
24 people in my 6th form have been kicked out today, and they are just normal students who actually worked really hard. I worked for months and months, and still only achieved BBBC, which isn't my best and it has altered my career plans greatly to the point where i'm about to give up.

Any else finding this year really tough? I honestly feel like i've failed myself, my family and even my school.

:frown:

it is harsh every single year . get over it
Reply 322
This is the exact reason why I think Michael Gove made a very stupid decision scrapping January exams. It seems like he wants to filter out the lazy people from getting into university, and stopping resits for those who don't work hard enough in the first place. Yet, I can see so many students who genuinely worked incredibly hard over the year but have ended up with a result that they aren't happy with at all. Students are actually paying the ridiculous prices to get their script back and for remarks because they are generally at a loss at what happened. I can see so many students who are motivated to turn their results around, even though they worked incredibly hard and they are disheartened by their results, they're still determined to turn it around. I think we can all agree that learning all the content for an exam, revising it and then doing past papers can really take it out of you and having to resit just means you have to go through it all again - but thanks to Gove's wonderful plan, students now have to remember all the content to resit an exam, that they initially worked very hard for, a year later

Luckily I am very happy with my results, but a few of my module results made me realise how deceiving these exams can be. I started revision very early for F322 and worked harder for that exam that I did for any other - yet it was the result that shocked me seen as it was significantly lower than what I was expecting, despite the fact it was the exam I was the most confident with overall. It's natural to be disheartened, but I think a lot of us students eventually get over that and realise that to show our potential then we will have to work hard again and resit - but thanks to Gove's brilliant plan, we have to wait a whole year and add to the pressure in June. I really wish he could see the problems he is creating - he isn't filtering out lazy people, he is stopping motivated and determined students from fulfilling their potential. Making students do all the year's exams in on month doesn't test how intelligent they are, it just puts them under a lot of pressure and tests how many off days they have.

Sorry for the random Gove rant, needed to vent my anger. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 323
Original post by Nina8
Is it wise to recheck the AQA physics paper for unit 2? I was only 2 marks of an A

I might be getting the whole remark thing with unit 2 then if that doesn't work then I'll have to resit :frown: I was predicted high B/low A and got a high C which is too weird to go unchecked!
Reply 324
Yes definitely. I got a D in English Literature when i was expecting a B/A. I worked so hard to get good grades for that exam and it's all been for nothing. I'm not doing it at university now, although i'm sort of glad i got a D because it's made me realise that i don't actually enjoy it that much anyway. It spoils books/poems/everything i like.

I got an A in RS though so i'm definitely keeping that on for uni!
Reply 325
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
What? That made me feel like 10 times worse. Just as I was feeling hopeful. You don't understand, my grades are way worse than just a BBC. And I don't see the problem, If you retake the year and do better then how can that be a problem?

Only if you apply to Oxbridge of somewhere in the 'elite' of RG or medicine/vet it becomes a problem.
Otherwise it doesn't really matter to an extent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 326
I got ABBC and expected really low grades so for my exams I felt they were fairly marked, but then again every subjects different. :-) I worked so hard for it though, and if you work hard and crack the technique and your away.:smile:
What? That made me feel like 10 times worse. Just as I was feeling hopeful. You don't understand, my grades are way worse than just a BBC. And I don't see the problem, If you retake the year and do better then how can that be a problem?

Well i do apologize as i was only giving an example :s-smilie:
It's because the way some Universities look at it, you took two years doing your AS's, so when you apply in your A2 year, many will be skeptical that you can pass your A2's in just one year with good grades - as A2's are so much harder.
Therefore, you may get amazing grades at AS and continue to receive good grades at A2, but on the other hand, the way the University looks at it, there may be many other applicants who achieved good grades in just two years and not three.
Anyway, i'm not saying all Universities do this, but many will judge you on how many years you take resitting and stuff - my friend was rejected from two of his choices due to resitting his AS's, but they were Russel Group Uni's, so i guess that's understandable?

But anyway, it really does depend on what you want to apply to and where eventually. I agree that retaking the year can help you enormously so it's really your decision. I would, personally, retake the year, given the fact that there are no more January exams, so resitting modules along with your A2's would be extremely difficult and stressful!
It was definitely harder but not over hard
A* in my maths A level which I did a year early
As in physics & politics
Reply 329
Original post by sr234
Yh i haven't heard of anyone achieving more than an AA at AS this year?:redface:

I got AAAB. And a lot of people at my sixth form got AA+.
maybe it is down to the college/sixth form not the marking?
I'm not really interested in drinking and stuff, a couple of times is okay, but i find it boring after a while :tongue:
I'm shy to and i look so young, i'm afraid people will make fun of me XD
Haha, they're the best types of friendships, sometimes just having a couple of friends is better than having a large group of them; so much arguing :biggrin:
Reply 331
Original post by Abbseh
I might be getting the whole remark thing with unit 2 then if that doesn't work then I'll have to resit :frown: I was predicted high B/low A and got a high C which is too weird to go unchecked!

Oh my god seriously?! I was predicted an A too which is so weird because Im so less off. But alot of people say if your grade is way close to the boundary your paper already has been carefully scrutinized so it isnt much help
Reply 332
yea I got a U in 4 of my 5 papers. I was only expecting one for my Physics AS Practical. One was 1 off an E but 3 were only 33% of the total Uniform mark for the module and I definitely thought the papers were at least a C. Didn't come out of the exams (apart from the practical...) saying I couldn't remember anything. Couldn't of got worse if I couldn't remember anything in the exam. Confused.
Reply 333
Definitely...! I got a C in German because my speaking got a D.... after my German teacher was like A/B
Yes, I am going to resit the year. I feel so much better, I was doing subjects I didn't particularly enjoy. Now I can start fresh and work harder!
Oh cool yeah hopefully I will be resitting my A-level and carry on my Btec, are you going to repeat the year at the same college?:smile:
Yeah I just got my AS results back for my subjects. I got E, E, U, U. Failed both Biology and Chemistry even though I literally put in my life to them which effected my other subjects. So annoyed but clearly science isn't for me. Thank god I can still continue and resit!
I got AABB (one UMS mark from an A in chem :mad:) and I know that these aren't the worst marks but I found my maths marks were a bit harsh. Maths is my favorite subject so I put lots and lots of effort into the C2 exam in the summer whereas for C1 and M1 I most definitely didn't do enough and found M1 just didn't sink in with me and I didn't even finish my papers for both the C1 and M1 exams whereas for C2 I was completely prepared, I finished the paper and I was able to check it through twice but I had the same marks for each of the exams?? (75 and a B if you're wondering) which has set me back for next year as I need an overall A! Did anyone else find this with their Maths results? I'm with WJEC.
Maybe I was over confident for C2? But I felt the same for the BY2 exam and I did extremely well in that so I am a bit confused!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 337
Original post by LegendX
Well, now you have your results, you can't change anything. As harsh as that may sound. Anyways, focus on the future, you can still pull it back up. I'm not sure what you study, but particularly in the science/maths subjects I studied, the knowledge just carries on from previous units. I know you probably revised hard but try looking at your revision techniques again. My honest suggestion is, be ahead of your class, constantly do past paper questions on the topics you have learnt in your class. Also another thing is, do the mock tests you do in your class honestly, I know many people who cheat just to get a good grade in mocks, there's seriously no point in doing that. Use what your getting in mocks as an indication and finally, DON'T leave it too late. For Summer exams, I suggest you work through out the year but heavily start revision in January, perhaps even earlier. Also, follow what ever they say in specification, whatever they have listed will come up. Read the examiner reports and look for common mistakes, focus on these mistakes. That's my advice, whether you wanna take it on board is up to you. Good luck!

Thank you, that is the most helpful advice anybody has given me regarding results!!! Oh and just letting you know I do study maths and science, particularly maths, chemistry and biology, i underachieved this year scraping a C in biology and maths, and a B in chemistry :frown: Thank you again good sir, I most certainly will take this on board! :smile:
Original post by imjustrach
Same! English was my best subject, I wanted to study it at Uni for a reason. I was getting A/Bs in all my mocks (I did lang/lit combined) and I ended up with a D and a C in my modules.... 2 marks off a C! So I'm just going to retake the lit module I got a D in but it's still money I don't have. (My college won't pay for resits/remarks :/)

But a lot of people haven't had good marks of AQA, I just feel a bit cheated really :frown:

Totally the same with my I got B's and A's in timed essays in class and my teachers expected an A from me and I got a low C. I agree with the money, I am going to pay for a photocopy to ask my teachers what went wrong but not sure whether to pay for remark or just resit it :s-smilie: I want to do English at Uni too! Still hoping to do that hopefully resit won't mess that up and I'll get the grade I want second time round. :frown:
Original post by Lisa17
Yes definitely. I got a D in English Literature when i was expecting a B/A. I worked so hard to get good grades for that exam and it's all been for nothing. I'm not doing it at university now, although i'm sort of glad i got a D because it's made me realise that i don't actually enjoy it that much anyway. It spoils books/poems/everything i like.

I got an A in RS though so i'm definitely keeping that on for uni!

See that happened to me too, I got an A in RS, and I enjoy philosophy but I don't think I could do it at University for three years. I love english but I got higher in RS :/ Ughghghghgh :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest