The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
This thread happens every year. Every single year.

Year 12 students thinking that they have been given unjustified marks but the fact of the matter is you simply haven't worked efficiently / hard enough. If you work properly / well enough you DON'T get bad marks. Get your papers re-marked, but 9 times out of 10 you haven't done as well as you thought you have. You may have the odd exam but to get C's all around is just screaming that you haven't done well enough.

I got CCD or something stupid at my AS, and now I'm finishing A2 with A*ABB. Trust me, you haven't come to the realisation that AS's are hard. Watch out for A2 too, there is also a jump in that.

You are all probably still in denial, but the first step you have to make to improving your results is to realise that the techniques / timetables you are using to revise are simply not effective. Wake up and realise that you are wrong. Next year you'll only have one shot at it too.
Reply 421
I did better in my A2 than AS ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 24hoursmiles
Ah okay thanks! I was wondering about OCR! It isn't a priority remark e.g. people dependant on it for entry to uni, so is it later? Ive emailed my teacher but hes on holiday and so most people I know just think they'll deal with it in September when school starts!

rules are the same to all exam boards :smile:

yes standard Re-Mark deadline is 20th September , but the deadline to call back a photocopy of your script ( to consider whether you want to send off for a remark or not ) is this Friday ( 23rd August ) :smile:
Reply 423
Original post by Sam_Chem
Rather than being exceptional, you're *lucky* I don't know anyone that did that and had that outcome. I stuided for 8 exams from March up until my exams I didn't cut a grade a wanted.

You post didn't really reply, it just seemed you wanted to be that guy, sorry.

I also got 100/100 in C4 and 100/100 OCR economics 4 with about 2 weeks of hard (10 hours a day) revision for each.

It's not about being exceptional or the amount of total hours you study for, it's what you take in. So clearly your revision must have been ineffective.
Original post by Scotttt
I too can relate, especially with the sciences- I got AACC, with the two Cs being Physics and Chemistry- I was not expecting to get so low, especially with the chemistry. I got 92 marks on my F322, what is that out of? Apparently it's out of 120. 92/120 is 81%. Surely a B, even an A? Nope. A C grade.

Probably should have done better in my practical though.. I only got a D XD

I hate OCR!

Original post by carpe diem 123
The marking for F322 is shocking. I was convinced I'd only lost one mark, and subsequently sat the actual paper a few days later which was marked by my chem teacher and she reckoned it would be around 97/100, yet I get my results and it's 123/150!

Definitely get your script photocopied and sent back and then get a remark. OCR chem is known for shoddy marking - it's such a long exam paper half the examiners loose the will to live and just fob people off with badly graded questions.

Good luck!

I feel exactly the same! Was SO happy after F322 and thought i'd only lost one or two marks :frown: got 95% and above in the 3 practice papers I did the night before which I found harder...ended up with 127 UMS. I would have actually been happy with this had I not scraped a C in F321 (got As in those practice papers too...the exam went badly but not THAT badly I thought).

Additionally I scraped a B for the practical skills module. My chemistry teacher told me it would be a low A :frown:

So was hoping for a comfortable A and ended up with a pretty low B (223/300). Was disappointed to say the least.

On the other hand, OCR Latin, edexcel Music and edexcel History all went as expected and they're the ones I'm carrying on, so don't want to complain too much.

Just nice to find some likeminded people. Your post has made me consider a remark.

x
OCR, you?

I did Edexcel. My parents almost ripped my head off. But it's the disappointment in their eyes that kills me.
I worked bloody hard for history. I don't know if I should get a remark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas
rules are the same to all exam boards :smile:

yes standard Re-Mark deadline is 20th September , but the deadline to call back a photocopy of your script ( to consider whether you want to send off for a remark or not ) is this Friday ( 23rd August ) :smile:

Thank you so much! Il email another teacher in the department!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MeganRok
24 people in my 6th form have been kicked out today, and they are just normal students who actually worked really hard. I worked for months and months, and still only achieved BBBC, which isn't my best and it has altered my career plans greatly to the point where i'm about to give up.

Any else finding this year really tough? I honestly feel like i've failed myself, my family and even my school.

:frown:

Our Sixth Form has 3 letters - a "Well done, come back next year!" letter, a "You did okay, but work harder next year / resit a load" letter and a "You are kicked out" letter.

When my parents went in to collect my results at 12 (I was away), the woman handing out the envelopes said she had only handed out 2 of the good letters so far - despite results being given out for 2 hours!

I think that illustrates how much tougher they were this year!
Reply 428
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
Indeed.

He is my father.

Tell him, G i l l says your a ****.
Thank you so much! Il email another teacher in the department!

Posted from TSR Mobile

is it free to request a photocopy:confused:
Original post by anonymousecheese
is it free to request a photocopy:confused:

nope its around £10 give or take a couple of quid
does kings accept 3 year duration a levels for biomedical science
I got BBCC but I was expecting something like AABB-ABBB :frown: A couple of people I know got AAAA who want to do medicine but everyone seems disappointed. WJEC AS Physics PH1 was 70/80 marks (not UMS) to get an A this year! Last year it was 54/80. The paper was a bit easier, but not that easy.
Do you think everyone having generally worse AS Grades will affect university offers and accepting lower grades? :confused:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Unfortunately no.. they..erm.. 'set me free' (putting it nicely lol) I'll be starting fresh somewhere else x :smile: you?
Well, hopefully I will bestyaing at the same 6th form, however I am going to collect my GCSE resit result and my mum is coming with me (which is going to be really emabarssing:frown:) as she is really annoyed that I havn't passed my AS,(which I wouldnt really blame her) I think it was the exam that completely ruined my chances of passing. Did u tell your parents and what did they say?x
Reply 434
Original post by im so academic
How is that a bad thing?

Could've worked harder!

What's your solution then, missy?

What a horrid girl.
I think at the end of the day you've just got to get on with it.I'm requesting 3 papers back and potentially having a remark for business (BUSS2),which I'm dropping but honestly now there's no point complaining.Things are going to get tougher for all of the country ito. exams.Of course people are going to work hard and do bad next year,that's life.Examiners don't give a toss how much hard work you've put in for an exam when they mark a script - what's in that booklet is what's in that booklet.If you've worked hard,work harder.Like me if you feel you've been fooled by your exam result,get a remark! Just get started revising and go for the top grades,don't follow your target grades at school/college if they're not what you want to get.At the end of the day,there's always adjustment for those who do better! 'Good things come for those who wait,great things come all at once' :smile:
Original post by G i l l
Tell him, G i l l says your a ****.

Oh, he lives of insults. He is like the Devil living of sin.

Only worse. He ruins your present life.
Reply 437

Tell him I said hi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 438

What an ********.
Reply 439
Original post by Sam_Chem
I didn't use Mymaths, just to CGP book, extra maths sessions at college and all the past papers I could get my hands on!

Since i'm likely to be retaking the first year, and we have MyMaths, I think i'll give it a go!

If u did edexcel, use the official edexcel m1 book. People need to stop using CGP for all their maths units, just use the official edexcel books for each unit + do all past papers and you should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest