The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Treacle2
I'm not alone!!! yay!!!! although slightly nervous about freshers week .... seems like I wont make friends easy cos everyone else will drink. university of York anyone??

I don't drink either, and I'm off to York! Which college are you at? :smile:
Reply 641
Original post by Hamza357
Your not alone mate, where you staying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad I'm not alone :smile:. I'm actually staying at home and commuting. Are you living out?
Reply 642
Original post by frappe framboise
Ditto. I know this sounds stupid but I've been feeling so overwhelmed by the whole Fresher's Week idea I burst into tears when my friend asked me if I was looking forward to Uni... lol.

I'm dreading it and it's only a week'ish away :sad:

Awwwwwww don't worry... You will be fine. People have told me that it's not as exciting as people make it out to be, but I guess it depends on the person. What are you going to study?
Reply 643
Original post by B182NP44
Awwwwwww don't worry... You will be fine. People have told me that it's not as exciting as people make it out to be, but I guess it depends on the person. What are you going to study?

*Looks at username*

First thing that comes to mind is that you're secretlya supporter of the BNP party.

B182NP44

:eek:

You can't hide it from me
Reply 644
Original post by Ruffiio
*Looks at username*

First thing that comes to mind is that you're secretlya supporter of the BNP party.

B182NP44

:eek:

You can't hide it from me

LOOOOL omg noooo. Blink 182 is one of my favourite bands and so is Plus 44, hence the inspiration for the username. And also, I'm Indian, so imagine the irony in that :wink:
Reply 645
Original post by B182NP44
I'm glad I'm not alone :smile:. I'm actually staying at home and commuting. Are you living out?

Yes, living at Grenville street (accommodation).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 646
Original post by frappe framboise
Ditto. I know this sounds stupid but I've been feeling so overwhelmed by the whole Fresher's Week idea I burst into tears when my friend asked me if I was looking forward to Uni... lol.

I'm dreading it and it's only a week'ish away :sad:

You will be fine mate, it's just like when you went from high school to college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 647
Holla, non drinker over here, I don't have any intense moral or religious feelings about it nor do I judge those that do, I just don't like the taste of alcohol, don't see the point of forcing myself to drink something I don't like the taste of, I think the consequences just aren't worth it and yes there probably is a bit of the traditional Protestant African family influence in there as well (can't help it)! I don't mind being out with drinking friends and hey at least I'm a built in sober friend that people do appreciate when they're pissed out drunk but sometimes I do feel like a party pooper especially when my friends are trying to coerce (I know ,strong word) me to drink when out and I have to turn them down. Oh yeah add in the fact that I'm still17 and going into uni so not even LEGALLy allowed to drink anyway (although people don't really pay attention to that law, I think). Sorry for what is basically an essay, just happened upon this thread and was like YAY I'm not a freak!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone going to Imperial? I'm a non-drinker but that doesn't stop me from going mental on a night out!
Original post by HaninRamadan
Anyone going to Imperial? I'm a non-drinker but that doesn't stop me from going mental on a night out!

There are plentyyyy of non-drinkers at Impy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blackshadow
There are plentyyyy of non-drinkers at Impy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good to hear. Are you from imperial?
Reply 651
Original post by Malovic
Yeah, are you? :smile:
And I'll be studying microbiology, which should hopefully be pretty interesting.

hello! fellow aberdeen fresher here too :smile: although i don't mind going out clubbing :tongue:
where are you guys staying?
Reply 652
Original post by n.kay
hello! fellow aberdeen fresher here too :smile: although i don't mind going out clubbing :tongue:
where are you guys staying?

I'm in Johnston Halls, you?
I couldn't get into a club even if I wanted to :tongue:
Original post by HaninRamadan
That's good to hear. Are you from imperial?

Nah, but I know quite a few people who go there.
Original post by helvetia
Hey guuuys!!! So excited about uni but not happy about some possibly drunk nights there. Not a drinker myself, hopefully will have quite silent and not noisy flatmates!

Is anyone going to Sussex uni in this thread?

Heeey I am going Sussex Uni and not a big drinker myself! What are you studying??
I just made an account so I could join this chat I'm soo happy someone has made this thread :biggrin:
Reply 655
I'm in Johnston too! 2nd floor! maybe we could meet up when everyone has gone off for that ice-breaker thing on the 2nd oct haha
Original post by GingerShortcake
I'm going to York and I don't really drink (I'm quite small so physically cannot drink that much!) I'm doing environmental geog and I'm at Derwent! What are you doing? :smile: Have either of you bought the uni fresher tickets things for the three main events?

I don't drink much either (i'm only 4"10!). I'm in James and doing English Lit - going to buy one for the comedy night but don't think i'll get on for the bar crawl - prefer a night in with films and a good laugh :smile:
Reply 657
Original post by Sabina123
Heey! I'm going Leeds too :biggrin: Dreading it though! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup. Apparently it has a "good nightlife" which seems to be code for "lots of going out drinking".

There is a plus though - there's over 250 really great societies, so at least we can still engage with others! :biggrin:
Reply 658
Sweet, at least I'm not the only one, I'm at Glasgow.
Original post by MathsNerd1
Anyone heading off to Nottingham university? I feel like I'll be the only one that doesn't like to drink there :redface:

Hey i'm a 2nd year mathematical physics student and i'm moving back into halls this year as I did enjoy the luxury off no cooking, being only 2 min away from lecture halls etc. i'm not really a drinker myself, I do like the occasional cider but not really into the clubbing and getting smashed scene. i'm in Hugh stewart hall. are u in halls? If so which one? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending