The Student Room Group

Advice on AS grades and applications?

Hello!
My AS grades in physics and maths have both been brought down due to me not doing particularly well on one exam in each. (ISA in physics, and Mechanics 1 in maths).
My grades were a B and a C respectively. I know that I will be able to improve my grade by retaking the two modules, but my issue is with my UCAS application.

When I send it off, the AS grades on it will be those from before I had a chance to rectify them. Will this hinder my application? Or are predicted grades at A level far more important than what was achieved at AS?

Also, hopefully I will be retaking the ISA quite early, around October/November. Will the mark from that test be immediately applied to my AS grade, or will that only happen at the end of the academic year?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Firstly, the ISA exam is sent of in june 2013 so you wont know what grade you actually have until june so you can't put it on. I suggest your teachers put on your reference that it was only 1 bad exam in each subject and they predict a lot higher for A2. A2 predictions aren't more important that AS though they do help but they want to see what you have, not what you might get, AS grades are more concrete. It depends where you are applying and what your other two AS grades are. AABC as AS with perhaps A*AA predictions or AAA will give you a really good chance :smile: Talk to the person at school who deals with your reference :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MelonSponge
Hello!
My AS grades in physics and maths have both been brought down due to me not doing particularly well on one exam in each. (ISA in physics, and Mechanics 1 in maths).
My grades were a B and a C respectively. I know that I will be able to improve my grade by retaking the two modules, but my issue is with my UCAS application.

When I send it off, the AS grades on it will be those from before I had a chance to rectify them. Will this hinder my application? Or are predicted grades at A level far more important than what was achieved at AS?

Also, hopefully I will be retaking the ISA quite early, around October/November. Will the mark from that test be immediately applied to my AS grade, or will that only happen at the end of the academic year?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think it will matter, because some of the retakes are in January, so before you fill in your UCAS, you will be able to put your new grades or you can also update your grades, I think.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by abubakar261
I don't think it will matter, because some of the retakes are in January, so before you fill in your UCAS, you will be able to put your new grades or you can also update your grades, I think.

There are not more january exams :/ including retakes
Reply 4

Um... have you forgotten? There is NO January exam.... Which some of the issues all of A2 have. Its so damn unfair as well. SMH
Reply 5
Original post by Munrot07
There are not more january exams :/ including retakes

Original post by AnimeCrazy
Um... have you forgotten? There is NO January exam.... Which some of the issues all of A2 have. Its so damn unfair as well. SMH

not that I am aware of, when did this happen, lol? I just had one of my resits this January.
Reply 6
not that I am aware of, when did this happen, lol? I just had one of my resits this January.

it happened about half a year ago, this is the first year we dont have them :frown:

You were the last ones allowed to do so. If you are doing A2 and hoping to do resits in January, I'm afraid you won't be able to.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8

It takes effect from the year 2014 unfortunately
Reply 9
Original post by Munrot07
it happened about half a year ago, this is the first year we dont have them :frown:

Original post by carnationlilyrose
You were the last ones allowed to do so. If you are doing A2 and hoping to do resits in January, I'm afraid you won't be able to.

Original post by Charlzi
It takes effect from the year 2014 unfortunately

well, this is a news to me. tough luck for the upcoming year 12s and 13s :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending