The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by Mazzini
Naturally. What else would we do anyway?

:hello:

Welcome :h:

Attend strip clubs, gamble and do drugs.
Reply 881
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Welcome friend! I'm just your resident neighbourhood heretic. I would shake your hand but holyness burns my skin :3
:giggle:
Don't forget handing out flyers!

Oh you're right! I forgot CU peeps do that. We just tend to make announcements at the end of Mass and leave the leaflets at the back of church.
Original post by Mazzini

Discuss how holy we are? :awesome: That's like 60% of my waking day.
Original post by Aula
#chastity4lyf

Until marriage you mean surely? I certainly would not be pleased if, having waited until marriage, my new wife tells me she believes #chastity4lyf!
Reply 884
Original post by Super Cicero
Until marriage you mean surely? I certainly would not be pleased if, having waited until marriage, my new wife tells me she believes #chastity4lyf!

No, that would be #celibacy4lyf. Chastity means generally being chaste - so no sex outside marriage, not thinking lustfully of others, generally not treating others as objects :yep:

A lot of people get the two confused.
Everyone is called to chastity, not everyone is called to celibacy.
Reply 885
Apparently I'm called to celibacy :grumble: :tongue: :getmecoat:

Original post by ImNew
Attend strip clubs, gamble and do drugs.

Nah, sorry. I just quote Bible verses and sing hymns.

Discuss how holy we are? :awesome: That's like 60% of my waking day.

:rofl:
Original post by Aula
No, that would be #celibacy4lyf. Chastity means generally being chaste - so no sex outside marriage, not thinking lustfully of others, generally not treating others as objects :yep:

A lot of people get the two confused.
Everyone is called to chastity, not everyone is called to celibacy.

Oh ok, thanks for explaining that. #chastity4lyf indeed! :biggrin:
Reply 887
Original post by Mazzini
Apparently I'm called to celibacy :grumble: :tongue: :getmecoat:

So are many of the best people I know :console:

Original post by Super Cicero
Oh ok, thanks for explaining that. #chastity4lyf indeed! :biggrin:

you're welcome :h:
Original post by Aula
Do make sure you don't do anything you'll regret later on :erm:
You'll find people who don't want to go out and get completely smashed every night soon enough :console:

I'm glad you had a better time today, and I will keep her in my prayers.

Welcome friend! I'm just your resident neighbourhood heretic. I would shake your hand but holyness burns my skin :3

Hahaha i see thanks :smile:
Original post by Mazzini

:hello:

Thank you:colone:
Original post by Joannywhite
Hello im new to this thread :smile::biggrin::bigsmile:

Hey. :wavey: Welcome to the soc. :hugs:
Original post by tasha96
Hey. :wavey: Welcome to the soc. :hugs:

thank you :smile:
Reply 893
Original post by legalreality
My experience of my university CU (I was kind of semi-Christian for a while but spending significant amounts of time with what I can only describe as ultra-conservative fascist Christians that seem to congregate in surprising numbers in Oxford put me off for life) was that people will all just judge the hell out of anyone who gets in a relationship. I remember one of my best friends started going out with a non-Christian and the cruelty and bitterness from some of the other CU members was appalling. Even inter-Christian relationships provoked bitching about how they were getting too lustful or how one was a terrible influence on the other and forcing them away from the CU and God etc. By all means go out with a Christian if you like them as a person but any relationship where a CU is involved is a dangerous move I think.

That sounds awesome it is like Game of Thrones.
Original post by Joannywhite
Hello im new to this thread :smile::biggrin::bigsmile:

:hi:

Hahaha that's quite a good way of putting it!

The level of pettiness some of the CU had though was truly ridiculous to the point where it stopped being amusing and was just absolutely ridiculous. Example: When it came to appointing new CU reps (basically 'leaders') for the college for next year it was basically civil war. Of course the simple thing to have done would be just to have a fair vote to decide, but for some reason the previous CU reps got to make the choice. This meant that perhaps one of the most unpopular people in college ended up as one of the reps because they were chums with the previous reps. Sensible eh?

Or how about the huge drama/controversy about whether or not a girl could be allowed to give the main reading at the annual CU chapel service for the rest of college. Nowhere else would people come out with lines such as 'this is too radical' or 'we don't want to RUIN the opportunity to preach to the rest of college by letting a girl do it'.

I still don't think they understand why I ran away and never returned :rolleyes:

I didn't know you were a fellow Christian! Nice to see you post in here :h:

OICCU are a bunch of headcases :sadnod:
Reply 895
Thanks for the warm welcome :smile:

I wouldn't quite say I'm Christian. Well I probably am, but I've found my time at Oxford has kind of increased my doubts a lot. Though reading through this forum has encouraged me that there are some decent/reasonable people out there still and kind of encouraged me to soldier on a bit :smile: It's reassuring I'm not the only one who finds OICCU absolutely terrifying. I was starting to think it was just me...

It's an issue with a lot of CUs from what I've heard. Durham was similar.

There are some good Christians out there :yep:
Reply 896
Original post by Aula
So are many of the best people I know :console:

:teehee: it sucks though :tongue:
Thanks for the warm welcome :smile:

I wouldn't quite say I'm Christian. Well I probably am, but I've found my time at Oxford has kind of increased my doubts a lot. Though reading through this forum has encouraged me that there are some decent/reasonable people out there still and kind of encouraged me to soldier on a bit :smile: It's reassuring I'm not the only one who finds OICCU absolutely terrifying. I was starting to think it was just me...

Oh I thought they were completely bananas. Also loved how they wouldn't go near me with a bargepole, due to my being Catholic :rolleyes: What noobfaces! Don't let them put you off. They are evangelical Christians at their worst. There are plenty of more moderate/liberal types, as well as perfectly lovely and sane evangelical people on this site, at least. The noobface Christians tend not to post in here :ninja:
Reply 898
The sad thing is that when CU's become like this they just put people off looking into Christianity completely. We had a mission week in my 2nd year where some of my college CU were basically standing in cloisters chasing after people with bibles and going room to room door knocking in large groups. This in itself wasn't bad but what lost a lot of goodwill from the wider college was the pretty aggressive approach to evangelism taken towards people who the CU knew were of other faiths. The one thing people in college bring up about that week is how terribly the CU behaved to the Jews and Muslims in our college which shows all it really achieved was alienation.

Yep yep,
And don't forget how terribly they can behave to Christians of other denominations... :erm:

Of course, it's worth saying that there are plenty of lovely people involved in CUs, it's just a shame that the worst ones are the most vocal :sad:
Reply 899
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Ah OK. Maybe your mum remembers? I just ask because sometimes a good starting place can be the denomination you were baptised into, since then you don't have to go through the whole rigmarole of officially joining (I'm thinking far later down the line here, once you've settled on a church you like! :yes: ) :yep:

I'm a little nervous about asking my Mum though, because I know she'll want to know why. I'm too scared to tell her about being Christian because she isn't religious at all and most of the time takes the mickey out of religious people for being stupid. Tbh, she only really got baptised so I could be christened, because the good schools around the area I was born in are mostly faith schools. I don't want to fall out with my Mum because she can't accept my faith, so it's just easier to keep it a secret from my family :frown:

Is there any other way of finding out other than asking family? Also, do you actually have to join churches officially? I thought you just went forever and ever and people knew you went. I feel like such a noob :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending