The Student Room Group

inform of extenuating circumstances after applying?

I applied for uni on 23rd October and last week had an offer from Manchester and no news from the others i applied to. Well last year (year 12) I had a fairly bad case of postviral fatigue syndrome which I feel had a considerable effect on my studies but not absolutely massive. Well here's the thing, my school failed to mention this in my reference apart from that i 'felt unwell before my latin exam' (i had a migraine going into the exam). I'm quite angry as I discussed this going on my reference with my form tutor in depth and she agreed that she would make a point of mentioning it, which she failed to do. So here's my question: is it acceptable to email my 4 remaining universities with this information? could I get my doctor to do this as he was the one who sorted out consideration for my exams and is so much more reliable than my school which has little to no pastoral care? I'm not trying to tell my universities that I was really really ill last year but I feel that the circumstances should be looked at especially due to the severity and frequency of my migraines. I don't want consideration on my A2 grades as they wont be effected, just my ASs. Should i not bother and hope for the best instead?
It would look better coming from your form tutor. Given that she failed to do what she said she would do, try asking her to email the universities direct.
Reply 2
Ideally your referee should do this. If they won't then inform the unis yourself, making sure that you stress you have proof from your doctor. It might even look better if you phrase it as "this is what happened, where shall i post my doctor's note to?"
It's also best to do it sooner rather than later.

However, if the exam board has already taken it into consideration you might find that the uni refuses to give further consideration to, as this is essentially compensating twice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Ideally your referee should do this. If they won't then inform the unis yourself, making sure that you stress you have proof from your doctor. It might even look better if you phrase it as "this is what happened, where shall i post my doctor's note to?"
It's also best to do it sooner rather than later.

However, if the exam board has already taken it into consideration you might find that the uni refuses to give further consideration to, as this is essentially compensating twice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually have a hard copy of my medical records, could i just copy these and send them to my unis? and I was going to say that I've already had about 2% of consideration, i acknowledge they may not want to give me consideration twice, I was thinking they should know the full story is all, thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by IShootLikeAGirl
I actually have a hard copy of my medical records, could i just copy these and send them to my unis? and I was going to say that I've already had about 2% of consideration, i acknowledge they may not want to give me consideration twice, I was thinking they should know the full story is all, thanks for the help :smile:

You don't really want to send them a copy of your medical records, as that's presumably a lot of information. They won't have time to read all that so sending it straight away is rather presumptuous. It would be better to send them a short summary and say more info is available if they want it. They also then have to reply, and you know they've got it and read something.
Original post by IShootLikeAGirl

Don't send a copy of your medical records straight off. That isn't the sort of thing you want just anyone reading.

I think emailing the universities your situation, and explaining you have evidence to back this up is a good course of action. It is a real shame your referee hasn't put it in the reference like she agreed to, though.
Thanks so much for all the advice everyone, i now have a logical plan of action, can't be thankful enough :smile: shame my form tutor is a bit crap but shes overworked as has another form and classes to teach so don't blame her much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending