The Student Room Group

What to do with an architecture part 1 degree

So, I'm sure some people have got to this point. I spent my first 3 years in Uni studying Ba(hons)architecture and must admit by the end of the 3rd year i was feeling abit bored of it. It just seemed like the uni environment wasn't really preparing students for the real world, and was just about drawing pretty pictures.

Nevertheless, I graduated and managed to get a job in practice to help towards my experience. Now i liked working in practice, designing real schemes and meeting with clients / contractors, seeing things get built ya know, so i decided to persevere and continue onto masters of architecture (part 2).

Here's where the problem lies. By Christmas i was bored again. I've kept going but again there seems to be no instruction on professional practice and it seems to be largely about pretty pictures. I've had enough so I'm currently suspending my studies after 5th year, and looking for work.

The problem I'm having is that i don't feel that I'm really qualified for ANYTHING beyond being a part 1 assistant. We weren't taught anything about property law, planning processes, professional law, even things like surveying. Yes it is expected that you learn these things whilst working in practice, but there is only so much you can learn when you are an assistant and haven't fully gained your confidence yet. Is there anything else out there that realistically a part 1 degree qualifies you for beyond CAD technicians and architectural assistants?
Original post by AerialUchiha
So, I'm sure some people have got to this point. I spent my first 3 years in Uni studying Ba(hons)architecture and must admit by the end of the 3rd year i was feeling abit bored of it. It just seemed like the uni environment wasn't really preparing students for the real world, and was just about drawing pretty pictures.

Nevertheless, I graduated and managed to get a job in practice to help towards my experience. Now i liked working in practice, designing real schemes and meeting with clients / contractors, seeing things get built ya know, so i decided to persevere and continue onto masters of architecture (part 2).

Here's where the problem lies. By Christmas i was bored again. I've kept going but again there seems to be no instruction on professional practice and it seems to be largely about pretty pictures. I've had enough so I'm currently suspending my studies after 5th year, and looking for work.

The problem I'm having is that i don't feel that I'm really qualified for ANYTHING beyond being a part 1 assistant. We weren't taught anything about property law, planning processes, professional law, even things like surveying. Yes it is expected that you learn these things whilst working in practice, but there is only so much you can learn when you are an assistant and haven't fully gained your confidence yet. Is there anything else out there that realistically a part 1 degree qualifies you for beyond CAD technicians and architectural assistants?

I haven't looked into this fully because I'm pretty confident I'm going down the right path. I have heard that many people went on to become web designers, graphic designers and architectural journalists. Beyond specifics, an architecture bachelor is actually really highly regarding by graduate schemes because of its time management, project planning, team building, and creative skills. Maybe advertising would be a good place to start with graduate jobs? The only person I've directly hear of got a graduate job with Tesco has a land buyer. Hope this helps!

Good luck with the search

The problem I'm having is that i don't feel that I'm really qualified for ANYTHING beyond being a part 1 assistant. We weren't taught anything about property law, planning processes, professional law, even things like surveying. Yes it is expected that you learn these things whilst working in practice, but there is only so much you can learn when you are an assistant and haven't fully gained your confidence yet.

Often wonder what is done, I get the impression for a lot of old school Architects they were given a decent education that covered at least some of the above. Now though it does very much seem to be for straight Architecture courses, you do the above, i.e. first year you so a wacky kind of building or composition of, same again second year and then repeat again for the third year. Hence, you might as well just do the first year since the second and third year is teaching you so little that is new that its a waste of time and money. Side modules are often nothing to speak of in straight Architecture degrees either.

Main question is how do they deal with this in Architecture practice? Since they must be getting a load of staff that are clueless on the professional practice, law, etc. etc. side of things. Can't see many practices wanting to train people up on the job practically speaking. So is it then a case that there is a danger emerging of people being given the title 'Architect' supposedly heading up projects without actually knowing anything much about architecture at all?
The more you hang around in the 'real world' you more you realise that most people are big pretenders - normal architects you're talking about will have done some similarly silly degree (with more technical drawing and more things done from memory perhaps), and learnt most of their apparent genius from their career projects. Ask them candidly one day about it all. From what I've heard, back in the day there seemed to be more a culture of the young grads mucking in, so learning more quickly - nowadays they use us as CAD monkeys to do the boring drawing edits and renders for them, so even learning on the job can be difficult, and that's where our value lies to them so they don't care.

Part 2 is ridiculous at Universities, that much is agreed by most people. Perhaps we don't need to treat it like an institutional problem, although 5 years of it does take the cake. As for options, there are millions of creative companies that value skills you might have gained on part 1, get into a company and work your way up.

It's confusing as it sounds like you like architecture but want to leave it because you don't think you're qualified? Huh? If you can handle it financially then muck in and show the tutors some dark arty nonsense then continue to gain practical experience and prove yourself while delivering projects.
(edited 10 years ago)
Suck it up, finish your degree and start doing the job that you seem to enjoy quite a lot.
Reply 5
I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the problem is here. You enjoy the job, but dislike the Uni side of things, but that will be over in a year or two, so you can get back to doing what you love.

I personally believe the university experience is structured very well, Part 1 for expressing your early ideas, into work to put those ideas in practice, back to uni for one last time to try to apply what you have learnt in practice in a conceptual manner, and finally Part 3.
You talk about the law/contract/job running side of things as if they are never taught, but that is precisely what the Part 3 course is for, which means it is not possible to become an Architect without having passed exams in all these things.
Reply 6
Hi, I just completed my part 1 and have been working as a part 1 architecture assistant for the last 2 months. I know what you mean when you say you feel like uni has prepared you enough for the real world. I actually found the part 1 course really enjoyable but find working in practice rather boring. I'm deciding whether I want to actually continue on and do my part 2. I think there are many alternative careers outside the architecture and construction domain it just depends what you enjoy! If you enjoy working in practice just try get yourself through the part 2 course and then you can start working again with a slightly better pay! Do you have any advice for me? My placement is for the whole year I feel like by the end of it im going to hate working in practice.
Original post by Scribbled
I haven't looked into this fully because I'm pretty confident I'm going down the right path. I have heard that many people went on to become web designers, graphic designers and architectural journalists. Beyond specifics, an architecture bachelor is actually really highly regarding by graduate schemes because of its time management, project planning, team building, and creative skills. Maybe advertising would be a good place to start with graduate jobs? The only person I've directly hear of got a graduate job with Tesco has a land buyer. Hope this helps!

Good luck with the search
Reply 7
Sorry if the original post didn't seem clear, i wrote it when i was stressing out over my future and close to breaking point. The problem i was having was that the university course seemed to have sucked the fun out of the subject for me, there was alot of emphasis put on philosophy and theory which I've never been one for. After talking it through with family we did decide that the best thing for me to do was to withdraw, however I've had meetings with career advisers and I'm now signed up with a city and guilds video game art and animation course, transferring the skills iv learned into a new field.

The one thing i have taken from the course is that i enjoy the CAD and 3D side of things more than the rest, so have been looking for work along those lines as either an arch technician or assistant, or as a draughtsman (so far unsuccessful), but at least i now know that there are paths to go down other than the architecture route.
Original post by tulpate
Hi, I just completed my part 1 and ...

Hmm.. well you do realise you don't have to do your year out in the one place right? So long as you do 3months in one place your fine you can move. Maybe try and find a more contemporary/innovative office? I don't know where you are working right now but maybe you need to search for a new job around about London there are some really artsy fun practises in London you just need to find them :wink: Furture Systems comes to mind. They did the Selfridges building in Birmingham.

Btw according to RIBA guidelines. Part 1 experience is mean to test whether you actually enjoy being an Architect and want to countinue so don't feel like you need to finish an Architecture course. Part 1 has been designed so you are actually a pretty good graduate with a degree under your belt don't feel like you have to suffer through the whole thing. If you are anything like me telling myself I want to be an architect and I love the job gets me through the horrible deadlines. If I didn't have that driving me I think I'd have quite long ago.

I don't know what your universities return conditions are but mind was I needed at least 6months experience in an Architecture office. What you could do is work for 6months in your current practise and try out something similar like ... I dunno ... a webdesign office? That way you can see which you prefer. I don't know whether that's the kind of advice you wanted. :P

Sorry if the original post ...

Awesome news! Glad you've got something you're a bit happier in. I know what you mean about the course sucking the fun out. I have been so focused on my course I haven't really had time to relax and actually enjoy university. I have tried several times to join a society but as soon as a deadline come round the corner sadly it all goes out the window. Every single year I start my saying well this year is going to be different ... I still hold out hope... :wink:

Also cool Job! Teensy but jealous. :wink:
Reply 9
Thanks! Yeh im kinda stuck with the practice i'm with as i've signed a 12 month contract and I've moved to a different city, so still need to pay the bills so can't really up and leave just yet. I've started to realise every company is different so I think the best thing would be to do explore other fun companies like you suggested after my placement is over. I don't think theres a big rush to go on and do my part 2 just yet.

I guess I won't know what I want to do until I try other avenues to see whats right for me.

Original post by Scribbled
Hmm.. well you do realise you don't have to do your year out in the one place right? So long as you do 3months in one place your fine you can move. Maybe try and find a more contemporary/innovative office? I don't know where you are working right now but maybe you need to search for a new job around about London there are some really artsy fun practises in London you just need to find them :wink: Furture Systems comes to mind. They did the Selfridges building in Birmingham.

Btw according to RIBA guidelines. Part 1 experience is mean to test whether you actually enjoy being an Architect and want to countinue so don't feel like you need to finish an Architecture course. Part 1 has been designed so you are actually a pretty good graduate with a degree under your belt don't feel like you have to suffer through the whole thing. If you are anything like me telling myself I want to be an architect and I love the job gets me through the horrible deadlines. If I didn't have that driving me I think I'd have quite long ago.

I don't know what your universities return conditions are but mind was I needed at least 6months experience in an Architecture office. What you could do is work for 6months in your current practise and try out something similar like ... I dunno ... a webdesign office? That way you can see which you prefer. I don't know whether that's the kind of advice you wanted. :P

Awesome news! Glad you've got something you're a bit happier in. I know what you mean about the course sucking the fun out. I have been so focused on my course I haven't really had time to relax and actually enjoy university. I have tried several times to join a society but as soon as a deadline come round the corner sadly it all goes out the window. Every single year I start my saying well this year is going to be different ... I still hold out hope... :wink:

Also cool Job! Teensy but jealous. :wink:
A great way to start your Part 1 degree is to read as much on architecture as you can. New to the market is a book called "100 Tips for architecture students". Simple straight to the point tips on how to get the best grades in your course. Find it on-line on Amazon now.
Reply 11
Original post by tulpate
Thanks! Yeh im kinda stuck with the practice i'm with as i've signed a 12 month contract and I've moved to a different city, so still need to pay the bills so can't really up and leave just yet. I've started to realise every company is different so I think the best thing would be to do explore other fun companies like you suggested after my placement is over. I don't think theres a big rush to go on and do my part 2 just yet.

I guess I won't know what I want to do until I try other avenues to see whats right for me.

I have been researching abit post working 4 years with architecture degree,.. i think it diploma level at least should be about building surveying,.. that way people can appreciate building and its technicities,.. then Bach. would be more artistic in understanding design, then Master is a Professional practice. Im in a dilemma, because i am inclining to Building surveying alot because i think the scope of adaptation in the industry is much bigger and exciting. I looked up that with an architectural degree you can do building surveying. But i think there is some things not covered in the syllabus especially surverying. How can i get into the Building surveying practice abd use architectural skills there....... IOW is a pain position to be, too much ongoing diplomacy in the construction progress. Building Survey seem like a good professional service within the construction practice that fits in between both architects and engineers. the role is simple yet essential. like any good design... "simple"... -_- Can Archi's you go straight into apperentice in a Building surveyour firm? or we can be an Architect Graduate.. that provides building surveys? idk..lol Man i need some enlightenment.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending