The Student Room Group

A-Level Law

I thought I'd make a page for any other AS Law students out there. How are you finding the subject? Has anyone got any good ideas to try and remember everything?!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Repetition of the cases is the key for remembering everything fo AS Law.
I did OCR AS last year and past papers/mark schemes were the best thing for revision and key points etc.
Cases aren't too bad, just keep revising :smile: best way I found it to revise law was to write out my revision notes from memory
Reply 3
Original post by beingawallflower
I did OCR AS last year and past papers/mark schemes were the best thing for revision and key points etc.
Cases aren't too bad, just keep revising :smile: best way I found it to revise law was to write out my revision notes from memory

Yes, the old-fashion way is the best technique. Read read read write write write :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hello,

I am studying WJEC law at A level. I passed LA1 with a very high A, passed LA2 with a high B (which I am not happy about and I'm resitting in January). Otherwise working towards the criminal law options for LA3 and LA4 in the summer.

If anyone has any questions - please feel free to get in touch!
Reply 5
Original post by jeamaehus
Hello,

I am studying WJEC law at A level. I passed LA1 with a very high A, passed LA2 with a high B (which I am not happy about and I'm resitting in January). Otherwise working towards the criminal law options for LA3 and LA4 in the summer.

How are you getting on with A level Law? I'm doing Law AQA, are there any differences between AQA Law vs WJEC Law or is it similar? And which Uni's did you apply to, if you dont mind me asking. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jeamaehus
Hello,

I'm doing OCR A2 Law, what's your method of trying to remember all the cases and what's your revision technique?
Original post by brent_
Repetition of the cases is the key for remembering everything fo AS Law.

Well that sounds............... Repetitive......................... :colone:
Reply 8
I'm studying AS Law with OCR, there is so much too remember, so i just keep writing my notes out over and over
Reply 9
Original post by ConsiderScience
Well that sounds............... Repetitive......................... :colone:

Lol. Repetitive and redundant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by katihoward
I'm studying AS Law with OCR, there is so much too remember, so i just keep writing my notes out over and over

Yep that's right. Keep on writing notes 'til they get stuck in your brain and 'til your hands break lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by brent_
How are you getting on with A level Law? I'm doing Law AQA, are there any differences between AQA Law vs WJEC Law or is it similar? And which Uni's did you apply to, if you dont mind me asking. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I took law at A level I hadn't done a GCSE in it and so everything was pretty new to me. I found it very interesting however and I like the exam style of essay based questions, they really suit me compared to lots of small questions with low marks.

I am unsure about the AQA law content but from what I heard it's more similar to OCR in that some units cover criminal law at AS whereas with WJEC law there is no particular focus on criminal law at AS but more so on the basics of the legal system of England and Wales, the rule of law, law and morality etc. There is more emphasis on European law with the WJEC too.

At A2 level with WJEC there is several options, we didn't have a say in this and it was decided by the sixth form and we are doing nothing but criminal law at A2. It's much more difficult in the second year, there is a lot more to revise when it comes to exams but I'm still finding the course highly engaging and enjoyable.

I applied to Cardiff University, University of Liverpool, Hull University, University of Westminster and Bangor University and have received an offer from them all.

Apologies for the late reply!
Reply 12
Original post by Blyts-_
I'm doing OCR A2 Law, what's your method of trying to remember all the cases and what's your revision technique?

I have purchased a pack of index cards (very cheap - you can find them in supermarkets as well as stationers like WHSmith or Paperchase) and on each I write one case and an outline of the case and the link to the topic it's relevant to. I do this for definitions and for Latin involved to help me remember also.

It's handy for when I find a case mentioned in a revision booklet I can look it up (you should do this every time and soon you'll get in it your head!)

As for revising for the exams I make sure I have an opening paragraph in my head for every possible question. You should do as many past papers as you can. When revising, go back to your introductory paragraphs and improve them. It's the hardest part, once you know how to write a strong one everything else will come to you after that! (If you've read enough!)

Any more questions please get in touch and sorry for the late reply - I've been revising for January exams! Happy new year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending