The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Anyone in Digby house? I'm in Floor 1 Flat 1

I've seen lots of people in the coloured blocks but noone in digby house.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
Lul "for lazy people" ? I understand that its quite expensive but u dont have to use the term lazy to justify your cheapness - Goodluck rollerblading to class in the icy hail or whatever it is u plan on doing phahaha

Original post by Luke070
How long does it take to walk from Oadby though? And considering that the weather is gradually getting worse, it would be ideal to use the bus as a sensible mode of transport.

For the entire year there I bicycled and when it snowed too much or was icy, I walked. If you get a shift on you can walk it in around 40 mins, maybe a little less. Bear in mind there are only a few days when the conditions are too poor to cycle. Cycling should take you 15 mins.

I walked more frequently than I needed to though since I had friends who preferred not to cycle. The walk/cycle makes good exercise and gets you woken up for the day in the morning and then relaxes on the way home. Beats sitting on your arse in a sweaty bus (EDIT: with no money because you spent it all on the ticket).
Mary Gee anyone??
Reply 1043
Original post by Sammydemon
For the entire year there I bicycled and when it snowed too much or was icy, I walked. If you get a shift on you can walk it in around 40 mins, maybe a little less. Bear in mind there are only a few days when the conditions are too poor to cycle. Cycling should take you 15 mins.

I walked more frequently than I needed to though since I had friends who preferred not to cycle. The walk/cycle makes good exercise and gets you woken up for the day in the morning and then relaxes on the way home. Beats sitting on your arse in a sweaty bus (EDIT: with no money because you spent it all on the ticket).

Okay, well it does sound like quite a long walk and yeah, I agree, it does save you a few hundred quid. I personally wouldn't like cycling there so I would probably go with walking there and back if I decided not to buy the bus pass. We can also apparently purchase the bus pass at the Student Union, so there's no rush in making a decision - might just walk for the first week and see how that goes. :smile:
Original post by Luke070
Okay, well it does sound like quite a long walk and yeah, I agree, it does save you a few hundred quid. I personally wouldn't like cycling there so I would probably go with walking there and back if I decided not to buy the bus pass. We can also apparently purchase the bus pass at the Student Union, so there's no rush in making a decision - might just walk for the first week and see how that goes. :smile:

Why wouldn't you cycle? The entire route has a cycle lane so you won't be bothered by traffic if that's what you're afraid of...
Original post by thebattleswefight
Does anyone know what size bed there is in a Premium plus ensuite room. (John Foster Hall) I'm trying to buy bedding and it isn't very clear on the website.
Thanks guys :smile:

Single bed, unfortunately, although if you're catered you get bedding? Maybe?
Does anyone know what's in the kitchen utility room you get if you're catered at gms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1047
Anyone in Lasdun Block I?
Reply 1048
Original post by AndyMCG
Anyone in Lasdun Block I?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1410833892463272/ Join the Lasdun Facebook if you haven't already, most people are on there :smile:
Hey. I'm a student now and the best advice I can offer is to NOT live at The Summit. The place is truly horrible, unless you're a fan of management walking in on you without knocking in the middle of the night. It's a ****show here
Reply 1050
Why wouldn't you cycle? The entire route has a cycle lane so you won't be bothered by traffic if that's what you're afraid of...

Is it possible to longboard there ? Are the roads smooth or bumpy and full of cracks ?
Original post by 0xygen
Is it possible to longboard there ? Are the roads smooth or bumpy and full of cracks ?

The main concern would be the road from the accommodation to the uni is very traffic heavy. You might be able to find quieter roads to use instead but the surface will be worse.
Reply 1052
The main concern would be the road from the accommodation to the uni is very traffic heavy. You might be able to find quieter roads to use instead but the surface will be worse.

Isn't there a pavement ? Also how far is the city center to Oadby? Reason I ask is because I wouldn't want to walk an hour to buy some shopping then an hour back as I prefer self catered. {Will mostly purchase meals at the uni though}
Original post by 0xygen
Isn't there a pavement ? Also how far is the city center to Oadby? Reason I ask is because I wouldn't want to walk an hour to buy some shopping then an hour back as I prefer self catered. {Will mostly purchase meals at the uni though}

Yes, but the condition of the pavement isn't that great and it's often busy with people in parts. You can walk to the city centre in an hour, but for shopping there is a massive Asda 5 minutes from the accommodation. Choose the self catered accom. for sure.
Reply 1054
Yes, but the condition of the pavement isn't that great and it's often busy with people in parts. You can walk to the city centre in an hour, but for shopping there is a massive Asda 5 minutes from the accommodation. Choose the self catered accom. for sure.

Will consider investing in a bike, I already have a £150 Longboard, might sell that tbh and just get a bike.

Thanks for the heads up, didn't know that there was an Asda which was that close?
Heyyy im a student living in beaumont halls catered, feel free to ask any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0xygen
Will consider investing in a bike, I already have a £150 Longboard, might sell that tbh and just get a bike.

Thanks for the heads up, didn't know that there was an Asda which was that close?

A bike would be far more practical.

You ought to have known about the supermarket: http://goo.gl/maps/IYshI

PS Ask anything else you want to know, I'm in my fifth year at the uni now and may well be starting a PhD there next year :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1057
A bike would be far more practical.

You ought to have known about the supermarket: http://goo.gl/maps/IYshI

PS Ask anything else you want to know, I'm in my fifth year at the uni now and may well be starting a PhD there next year :s-smilie:

Thank you. I'm still abit skeptical as to which hall of residence I should decide to stay at, any recommendations ?

Also, if I do my BSC's at Leicester then do my MSC's at Imperial, would the employers care where I do my Masters ? Or would they only care about where I graduated from ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1058
Original post by 0xygen
Thank you. I'm still abit skeptical as to which hall of residence I should decide to stay at, any recommendations ?

Also, if I do my BSC's at Leicester then do my MSC's at Imperial, would the employers care where I do my Masters ? Or would they only care about where I graduated from ?

I currently live in Digby halls. Ignore what everyone has said before about Digby, they underwent a massive refurbishment so we're the first people staying in them. The problem is, uni don't have any photos of the changes so all you can see is the crappy stuff!

I was really sceptical when i was told i got Digby, infact i was very tempted to change it! SO happy that i didn't, i live in a block of 19; 9 boys, 10 girls and we all get along really well. Digby is a very sociable halls, people tend to pop over if they're going out, pop their head through the window or just climb in and join in the drinking!

So just incase anyone is wondering about Digby and actually wants to know something about it;

flats of 4/5 except for one block which has a female flat of 7.

2 bathrooms in each flat consisting of a shower and toilet/sink.

one flat in each block has a large open plan kitchen/lounge. The others are basically the same but have a smaller arch seperating them so they become two seperate rooms. If you're in flat 2, you're in the best kitchen. You'll also be stuck with pre-drinks every week..

You get a cleaner who cleans your toilets/kitchen/hall

Attached a photo of the kitchen, the lounge with 2 sofas is where this photo is taken from!
Hope this has been helpful!

563.jpg
Reply 1059
Original post by SimonA95
I currently live in Digby halls. Ignore what everyone has said before about Digby, they underwent a massive refurbishment so we're the first people staying in them. The problem is, uni don't have any photos of the changes so all you can see is the crappy stuff!

I was really sceptical when i was told i got Digby, infact i was very tempted to change it! SO happy that i didn't, i live in a block of 19; 9 boys, 10 girls and we all get along really well. Digby is a very sociable halls, people tend to pop over if they're going out, pop their head through the window or just climb in and join in the drinking!

So just incase anyone is wondering about Digby and actually wants to know something about it;

flats of 4/5 except for one block which has a female flat of 7.

2 bathrooms in each flat consisting of a shower and toilet/sink.

one flat in each block has a large open plan kitchen/lounge. The others are basically the same but have a smaller arch seperating them so they become two seperate rooms. If you're in flat 2, you're in the best kitchen. You'll also be stuck with pre-drinks every week..

You get a cleaner who cleans your toilets/kitchen/hall

Attached a photo of the kitchen, the lounge with 2 sofas is where this photo is taken from!
Hope this has been helpful!

563.jpg

Thanks for the info! I don't know why people usually say that Digby isn't clean and really small.. That looks pretty clean and at a decent size to me ? Nice but I will most likely go for an en-suit room {Self Catered}, I will put Digby down though.

Btw, whats all this rant going on about how Beaumont is the best hall to be at? Apparently it looks the best and is one of the most sociable?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending