The Student Room Group

Why do some people think it's okay to slate a thin girl's figure?

I see this so much. Quite often here on TSR.

I hear things like:

It's stupid how skinny some girls are, it's like they're anorexic or something. They look like they need to be hospitalised, ugh!

As someone who is underweight (but working on it!), it really undermines my confidence when I hear things like this.

On numerous occasions people have asked me stupid, insensitive things like: "Are you anorexic?" That's unbelievably offensive to me, and anorexics, on so many levels.

So let me dispel some myths.

Not everybody who's thin is anorexic.

Some people are naturally skinny.

It's not okay to call someone 'a stick' and other such crap.

If an overweight person was in a bikini at a pool party, you wouldn't go over to them and poke their stomach, saying "Oh my god look how fat you are!".

Yet I've had someone come up to me in that exact situation, poke my stomach and go, "Oh my god you're such a stick! I can count your ribs! What the hell do you eat? Air!?"

Actually, I've been trying very, very hard to gain weight and am so much better than I was aged 14. But thank you, thanks for messing up my already pretty damn low self esteem...

It's not funny, it's just hurtful. Why would you say things like that? I just don't understand.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People don't understand Anorexia is a mental disorder and it shouldn't be made fun of. I agree some people are insensitive but keep your chin up and don't take note of it. I know girls tend to overthink a lot and every little thing sticks but just ignore it hun.
Reply 2
I concur!
COULDN'T AGREE MORE.

I'm slim, and I've had many hurtful comments in my life. Not too long ago, someone said "Move up, anorexic". No one seemed to care, but had the girl said something along the lines of "Move up, fatty", you can't tell me everyone would keep quiet.

Not only is this unfair, but anorexia isn't something to throw around, it's a horrible disorder that shouldn't be used as an insult for anyone who's thin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ignore them and keep your head up high, you know you're dealing with it so why choose to let a person's words upet you?

Sticks and stone may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
Original post by Dilsz
People don't understand Anorexia is a mental disorder and it shouldn't be made fun of. I agree some people are insensitive but keep your chin up and don't take note of it. I know girls tend to overthink a lot and every little thing sticks but just ignore it hun.

I don't think you quite understand...I'm not anorexic.

Also did you seriously just call me "hun"? :lolwut:
I like skinny bitches, relax
Reply 7
:hugs: I know how you feel, it really isn't right or when you get direct comparisons to other people on the street "you see how skinny that person is, well you are half of that!" I once had a girl come up to me and say "oh you're wearing a t-shirt, I didn't think you would because of how skinny your arms are" implying I was ashamed of having thin arms?? :wtf:

Don't pay any attention to them, not worth your time and its great to hear you are working on yourself, far more important than petty little remarks :colondollar:
Because they're hypocrites who want to feel more attractive. I've noticed this myself. There isn't a standard model of beauty and people can be insensitive to how much these comments can hurt.
Original post by Peaches and Cream
I see this so much. Quite often here on TSR.

I hear things like:

As someone who is underweight (but working on it!), it really undermines my confidence when I hear things like this.

On numerous occasions people have asked me stupid, insensitive things like: "Are you anorexic?" That's unbelievably offensive to me, and anorexics, on so many levels.

So let me dispel some myths.

Not everybody who's thin is anorexic.

Some people are naturally skinny.

It's not okay to call someone 'a stick' and other such crap.

If an overweight person was in a bikini at a pool party, you wouldn't go over to them and poke their stomach, saying "Oh my god look how fat you are!".

Yet I've had someone come up to me in that exact situation, poke my stomach and go, "Oh my god you're such a stick! I can count your ribs! What the hell do you eat? Air!?"

Actually, I've been trying very, very hard to gain weight and am so much better than I was aged 14. But thank you, thanks for messing up my already pretty damn low self esteem...

It's not funny, it's just hurtful. Why would you say things like that? I just don't understand.

Spoiler

Because it's the internet?

I know it's not nice, but I think you need to grow thicker skin.

EDIT: Post #2k.
Reply 10
I don't think you quite understand...I'm not anorexic.

Also did you seriously just call me "hun"? :lolwut:

I was making a general point. I never directly called you anorexic. It just annoys me that people call someone anorexic. And yes.
Reply 11
Its usually fat girls that have hijacked the word "curvy" who say things like that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lilac!!
:hugs: I know how you feel, it really isn't right or when you get direct comparisons to other people on the street "you see how skinny that person is, well you are half of that!" I once had a girl come up to me and say "oh you're wearing a t-shirt, I didn't think you would because of how skinny your arms are" implying I was ashamed of having thin arms?? :wtf:

Don't pay any attention to them, not worth your time and its great to hear you are working on yourself, far more important than petty little remarks :colondollar:

Yeah, I don't normally but then one too many times sends you over the edge...

But thank you! :h:

When I was younger my mum used to say they were just jealous. I know they're not, but sometimes thinking that does help :lol:
Some people are just idiots. Give them a wallop and you will find they quickly back down.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Because it's the internet?

I know it's not nice, but I think you need to grow thicker skin.

EDIT: Post #2k.

Most of the times it has happened it's been in person.

I ignore what everyone says on TSR, but in real life having that said to you is a very, very different experience.
Reply 15
This does not apply to just women, but men also.

I'm a tall and pretty slim guy and people do comment on it. I do eat a lot but gain very little mass from it. Especially since I was once near enough anorexic when I was younger since I didn't eat when I was sad, which was a lot of the time. People saying "you're too fat/thin" hurts both genders.

I've decided to hit the gym in the summer after my A-level exams.
Reply 16
I'm a size 4-6 (though petite) and I get this all the time. It's not like I starve myself, I just eat really healthily and exercise to take care of myself. So annoying :K

Don't mind them OP, just do your thing :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by Mr Smurf
Its usually fat girls that have hijacked the word "curvy" who say things like that.

I've found some fat/unattractive guys seem to resent in-shape women too. I lauf every tiem. :tongue:
Original post by Alpha brah
I'm a size 4-6 (though petite) and I get this all the time. It's not like I starve myself, I just eat really healthily and exercise to take care of myself. So annoying :K

Don't mind them OP, just do your thing :tongue:

Whooo I'm a petite size 4-6 as well! We're in this together! :awesome:
Reply 19
Yeah, I don't normally but then one too many times sends you over the edge...

But thank you! :h:

When I was younger my mum used to say they were just jealous. I know they're not, but sometimes thinking that does help :lol:

Haha yes! banter is fine, but it starts to grate a little after the umpteenth time :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest