The Student Room Group

AQA chemistry ISA sports injury packs

I am really stuck on the method part of this ISA. Could anyone please give me a hypothesis and method?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You are likely to investigate an endothermic dissolving process. If certain compounds like potassium choride are dissolved in water then the temperature falls - endothermic.

So how about this hypothesis: The higher the mass of potassium cholride added to the water, the lower the temperature gets.

You will need to think about CVs (like vol of water?), IV and DV for your hypothesis.

Hope this helps.
ChemGuy
anything else for the method? really hard to find info on this.
Reply 3
My variable is sodium nitrate instead of potassium chloride. will temperature increase or decrease for sodium nitrate when it reacts with water. And Why??
why isnt there much to go on?
Reply 5
its really hard to find stuff, I have got paper 1 tomorrow, any idea what the questions will be on??
i have the same, your basically looking for how the size of a injury pack can be reduced and by doing so you can experiment with salt and water. simply take 5 different measurements of salt and pour them in 5 different beakers, add the same amount of water then measure the temperature. look at your results and link it back.
Reply 7
what was on paper 1?? :smile:
asks about 2 hypothesis,which was better
perlimnary tests-what did u do to make sure the variable you measured was right?
writing about the method-dont forget units and fair test-dont just say to make it fair say it will affect your results
your asked about variables too

Don't worry trust me.You'll wing it if you planned well :smile:
Reply 9
is this gcse?
Reply 10
Original post by Student B
I am really stuck on the method part of this ISA. Could anyone please give me a hypothesis and method?

Try this :smile:
Add three spoonfulls of salt to 25cm cubed of water in a small beaker. Stir with a thermometer and take note of the temperature. Keep adding a higher mass of salt each time and take note of the temperature change.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Student B

This is the full method I used :smile: Hope it helps :biggrin:

Materials:

Thermometer

Room temperature water

Four grams Epsom salts

Spoon

Glass beaker

Thermometer

Pen or pencil

Paper

Safety concerns: Be sure to keep all glassware, and chemical safety rules. As with all science lab activities, the most important safety rule is to follow all teacher directions.
Procedure:

Fill the beaker half full of room temperature water.

Carefully, put the thermometer in the water.

Allow the thermometer to reach a stable temperature (about one minute) then record the temperature of the water.

Carefully stir in the Epsom salts.

Record your observations.

Check the thermometer and record the temperature of the liquid each minute.

Continue to record the temperature until it becomes stable (does not keep changing.)

Analysis:

How does the water temperature compare after the Epson salts are added to the water?

Why might Epson salts affect water temperature?

What type of a change does this demonstrate (physical or chemical?)

Does the temperature continue to change after the Epson salts are added to water?

How long does it take for the temperature to stabilize?

Reply 12
what if i change the volume of water instead
Has anyone done paper 2? I'm not asking for the questions, just wanted to know how it went as I have paper 2 tomorrow
Reply 14
What is the context?
Original post by fizarock22
What is the context?

My school gave us a context. Which was just that sports companies could use the results of this investigation to find out the amount of NH4NO3 needed for a sports injury pack
Reply 16
Original post by the-anonymous-me
My school gave us a context. Which was just that sports companies could use the results of this investigation to find out the amount of NH4NO3 needed for a sports injury pack

Yeah they gave me this as well
Reply 17
So i got 40/50 for this isa desipt being quite good at chemistry and get 90+% regularily in mocks. Is that a good score? Can I still archive an A*?
Original post by KongShou
So i got 40/50 for this isa desipt being quite good at chemistry and get 90+% regularily in mocks. Is that a good score? Can I still archive an A*?

Well the ISA is only 25% of your overall grade I know someone who got 100 UMS in his ISA and Modules 1&2 so when he walked into module 3 he just needed a C in it to get an A* overall
Reply 19
Original post by the-anonymous-me
Well the ISA is only 25% of your overall grade I know someone who got 100 UMS in his ISA and Modules 1&2 so when he walked into module 3 he just needed a C in it to get an A* overall

So it doesn't drag your mark down a lot like my teacher said? It is just part of the average?

Which means that I can still get an A*?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending