The Student Room Group

Anybody else sometimes feel bitter about being sent to a poor school?

I was sent to an "adequate" (though adequate is generous in my opinion) rated school in which only 42% of pupils left with 5 A-C grades. The teachers in most of my classes usually spent the majority of the lessons simply trying to control the pupils rather than actually teaching anything. Bullying was widespread and was rarely effectively dealt with. The only reason I got reasonable grades (2 As 4 Bs & 4 Cs) was because I taught myself at home. I can't help but sometimes think about what I could have got and where I could have been now had I been sent to a decent school. Does anybody else who got sent to a rubbish school feel this way?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My school wasn't bad but I know about the distractions, and I sympathise because people who want to know are often pushed aside, ignored or pushed down because of: 1) government targets achieving Cs (which ignores people who want to aspire higher), 2) teachers trying to break student fights up, 3) lack of interest from parents etc, and 4) bullying/bad friends.

Considering that you taught yourself you clearly have a good work ethic and attitude, that means you have the potential to go very far in life. Your grades are good too, some people achieve much worse, even with help or tutoring.

Put it behind you and if you ever have children, you can be sure to give them the start you wish you had.
Reply 2
My parents were thinking of sending me to a private school. In the end we put the best state school in the county as my first choice. They then made me change to the 'best' or should I say 'least worst' high school in my town, because they couldn't be bothered to get up in the morning to drive me to the bus stop or get me a taxi. In fact, they bribed me and said they'd get me a puppy if I changed school, I never got the puppy !!! I've just remembered that. Anyway, I ended up with 11 fairly good gcses, 4.5 ok A-levels and am now at an ex-poly uni. I do wonder what would have happened if I had gone to a private school or the good state school. I wouldn't be at Oxbridge at least, they don't do my course, something which I've wanted to do since primary school, but I could be at a RG uni such as Southampton ...
I agree that the school you go to affects how well you do. Especially if you go to a school that isnt the best. I went to a secondary school that was ok i suppose, but it want the best ever. The 6th form was rubbish though. I would definitely have done better if i had gone to another 6th form/college.
I dont feel bitter about it though. At the end of the day- if you want to work hard and do well, then you will do that whatever school you go to. That may mean doing things like more studying at home, but it can be done.
For example my cousin goes to a private school, but isnt doing the best ever, but me and my sister went to a school that was not the best (and has now been put in special measures) and we have done well.
Reply 4
I went to a school that entered special measures during my second year there. I don't feel bitter because a lot of the teachers were actually very good at their job and inspired me to work harder and go down the path I wanted to. I made great friends and had a lot of fun. Not moving schools for Sixth form was probably a mistake but I don't regret it or feel bitter about it or anything.
Original post by joseon
I was sent to an "adequate" (though adequate is generous in my opinion) rated school in which only 42% of pupils left with 5 A-C grades. The teachers in most of my classes usually spent the majority of the lessons simply trying to control the pupils rather than actually teaching anything. Bullying was widespread and was rarely effectively dealt with. The only reason I got reasonable grades (2 As 4 Bs & 4 Cs) was because I taught myself at home. I can't help but sometimes think about what I could have got and where I could have been now had I been sent to a decent school. Does anybody else who got sent to a rubbish school feel this way?

Luckily for me my local state school is a very good one. (Albiet it wasn't so good when my older siblings were there and was only okay when I first got there in year 7, it improved a huge amount during my 7 years there). But I can understand why you are bitter about it. It seems unfair that some people receive a better education just because of where they live or how rich their parents are. But thankfully these days there are enough resources in books and online to teach yourself if you have to, plus this shows very good motivation. Obviously you don't have to want to do this, but at least it is an option. Universities also take notice these days if you went to a rubbish school and still achieved good grades :smile:
Also (I'm not saying you are) but don't let your bitterness show across to other people when you meet them if they went to a better school than you; it's not their fault. If you were in there position and were offered a good school or a bad school you would obviously pick the good school.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
why don't you aim for a grammar school then?
Reply 7
Original post by Tai Ga
why don't you aim for a grammar school then?

I've finished school now, and there aren't any grammar schools in my area anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by LiquidGold
Luckily for me my local state school is a very good one. (Albiet it wasn't so good when my older siblings were there and was only okay when I first got there in year 7, it improved a huge amount during my 7 years there). But I can understand why you are bitter about it. It seems unfair that some people receive a better education just because of where they live or how rich their parents are. But thankfully these days there are enough resources in books and online to teach yourself if you have to, plus this shows very good motivation. Obviously you don't have to want to do this, but at least it is an option. Universities also take notice these days if you went to a rubbish school and still achieved good grades :smile:
Also (I'm not saying you are) but don't let your bitterness show across to other people when you meet them if they went to a better school than you; it's not their fault. If you were in there position and were offered a good school or a bad school you would obviously pick the good school.

My bitterness is aimed mainly towards my parents, rather than other pupils/students. They simply sent me to the closest school to my house merely for convenience. There is a much better state school only a few of miles away from where I live, but going there would have meant them having to drive me there everyday. Plus, there's an excellent private school only a little further from my house than the school I went to. They could have easily afforded to send me there if they wanted to, but they chose to spend the money on luxury cars and holidays etc instead. If I had gone to one of those schools I think there's a good chance I could have gotten a place at Oxford or Cambridge, or at least a Russell group uni. But because of their laziness/selfishness I have to settle for going to a mediocre university. This will obviously effect the opportunites I get throughout the rest of my life, so it's hard not to feel a little bit resentful towards them.
Reply 9
I sometimes feel angry that I had to go to a ****ty school simply because i 'm not christian so couldn't go to the good faith school, and I live out of the catchment area for the grammar school. Like a previous poster, I have some really inspiring and good teachers, but overall the school is not the best and got put in special measures this year . I'm not angry at my parents, rather the fact that the government hasn't provided enough schooling options in my area for the non religious and those who can't afford private.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what you mean, my school was about 45% A-C grades. I got the best results in my school (7A*s and 3As), but I went to a sixth form college further afield where everyone had 11A*s and was brimming with self confidence and ambition. Even though I feel much happier now, I still feel as though the bullying problems and the lack of focus on work and more on uniform, getting out of special measures and not pouring hot soup on the school pig (really) has impacted me.
I go to an alright state school , the teachers are good, the facilities are good but the students are not. It's fine in the setted classes but in the mixed ability classes it is hell. The teacher cannot teach because they constantly have to deal with the loud disruptive students who couldn't care less about school and all the work is aimed at C grade kids meaning that anyone higher is so bored they completely loose interest.

Wish I went to a grammar school where work ethic was better but there are none in my area.

I'm stick here for A-levels too since there are no colleges here and everyone goes to their school sixth form.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joseon
My bitterness is aimed mainly towards my parents, rather than other pupils/students. They simply sent me to the closest school to my house merely for convenience. There is a much better state school only a few of miles away from where I live, but going there would have meant them having to drive me there everyday. Plus, there's an excellent private school only a little further from my house than the school I went to. They could have easily afforded to send me there if they wanted to, but they chose to spend the money on luxury cars and holidays etc instead. If I had gone to one of those schools I think there's a good chance I could have gotten a place at Oxford or Cambridge, or at least a Russell group uni. But because of their laziness/selfishness I have to settle for going to a mediocre university. This will obviously effect the opportunites I get throughout the rest of my life, so it's hard not to feel a little bit resentful towards them.

That's a strange assumption to make.
Well I'm going to a 73% 5A*-Cs including English and Maths school, but my cousin is going to an independent school...
Reply 14
Original post by yl95
That's a strange assumption to make.

Not really. I managed to get 2 As 4 Bs and 4 Cs having attended a school in which only 42% of my year group got 5 or more A*-C grades. Had I gone to a better school it's reasonable to assume that I would have gotten better grades due to receiving higher quality teaching. Suppose, as a result of better schooling, I had acheived 1 grade higher in every subject, I would have gotten 2 A*s, 4 As and 4 Bs. People have been offered places at Oxbridge with lower grades than that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well at least you are in England.
Reply 16
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Well at least you are in England.

A cold, cramped and damp little island full of violent chavs and pompous toffs who think they're better than everybody else; yeah that's a plus.
Original post by joseon
A cold, cramped and damp little island full of violent chavs and pompous toffs who think they're better than everybody else; yeah that's a plus.

Yes, that's definitely a plus.

Personally I've never seen anyone here with better A level grades that I would be predicted to get. But it doesn't matter at all. :colondollar:
Reply 18
Original post by joseon
Not really. I managed to get 2 As 4 Bs and 4 Cs having attended a school in which only 42% of my year group got 5 or more A*-C grades. Had I gone to a better school it's reasonable to assume that I would have gotten better grades due to receiving higher quality teaching. Suppose, as a result of better schooling, I had acheived 1 grade higher in every subject, I would have gotten 2 A*s, 4 As and 4 Bs. People have been offered places at Oxbridge with lower grades than that.

I went to a worse school than you and I'm currently at Oxford...

Generally, when it comes to GCSE, both Oxford and Cambridge are more interested in where you ranked in your year, to a point, as opposed to seeing straight As, A*s. Someone with 2 A*s, 4 As, 4 Bs and being top of the year group is more of an achievement than getting 5 A*s, 5 As and being in the bottom 20% of the year group.
Me. My parents couldn't afford private school/ tutoring. I had to go to the nearest school.. they said if I wanted to do well I'd have to put my own work in :frown:. I've always felt at a disadvantage regarding education. I'm not going to complain too much, although. I'm in a better spot than most people around the world, thank god. I didn't do too bad anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending