The Student Room Group

How does a foundation course work?

Hey there, I was just wondering. Do the UCAS tariff points you earn in a foundation diploma get added on top of your previous A-levels?

My lecturer said that this will help you solidify your chances of getting into university. But if this is not that case then how do they help?
Original post by Kungawunga
Hey there, I was just wondering. Do the UCAS tariff points you earn in a foundation diploma get added on top of your previous A-levels?

My lecturer said that this will help you solidify your chances of getting into university. But if this is not that case then how do they help?

foundation is used for a lot of very different courses - the only one that earns tariff points is the arts foundation diploma (http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables#diplomafoundation ).

This is not the same as a foundation year (which is usually taught at a university and prepares you to study one or a small range of degree courses) or a foundation degree (which is similar to an HND and equivalent to the first 2 years of a 3 year degree course).

The art foundation diploma tariff points will usually only be acceptable for art and design courses - if you use them to apply for a law degree they'll be ignored. Some art and design degrees prefer to take students directly from A levels without an art foundation while others insist on an art foundation for entry.

To be sure if the course is the right choice for you you're best actually looking into the entry criteria of a few different art schools.

Can you provide us with a link to a foundation course that you've been thinking of taking? As PQ said, the term "foundation" covers all manner of things.
Reply 3
http://www.havering-college.ac.uk/the-college/courses/coursedetail.aspx?c=15000261673929

Sure thing. Here is the link. I'll be taking this on side with a GCSE evening maths course since I didn't get a c in maths, mainly to apply and get in to some Uni courses next year ^^
http://www.havering-college.ac.uk/the-college/courses/coursedetail.aspx?c=15000261673929

Sure thing. Here is the link. I'll be taking this on side with a GCSE evening maths course since I didn't get a c in maths, mainly to apply and get in to some Uni courses next year ^^

That's an art foundation diploma :smile:

Most universities will accept it on its own for entry onto art and design related degrees (but you'll also have to have a portfolio assessment/interview too)....most art schools don't INSIST on you having one though - if you've got Art A level and a couple of other A levels then quite often they'll accept you directly without the diploma (again though this will be after they've seen your portfolio).

In general I'd recommend doing the foundation diploma if you're on a gap year anyway and want to stay current/challenged OR if you need to boost up your portfolio for application OR if you've done A levels but didn't get good enough grades for direct entry.

Have a look at the websites of a few art schools to see what courses they offer and which they'll take the foundation diploma for. Some more academic and less practical art degrees will be based on grades alone while more practical degrees tend to be more interested in your portfolio.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
That's an art foundation diploma :smile:

Most universities will accept it on its own for entry onto art and design related degrees (but you'll also have to have a portfolio assessment/interview too)....most art schools don't INSIST on you having one though - if you've got Art A level and a couple of other A levels then quite often they'll accept you directly without the diploma (again though this will be after they've seen your portfolio).

In general I'd recommend doing the foundation diploma if you're on a gap year anyway and want to stay current/challenged OR if you need to boost up your portfolio for application OR if you've done A levels but didn't get good enough grades for direct entry.

Have a look at the websites of a few art schools to see what courses they offer and which they'll take the foundation diploma for. Some more academic and less practical art degrees will be based on grades alone while more practical degrees tend to be more interested in your portfolio.

Okay then thanks bud ^^.

But are my previous grades in my first 2 years of college acknowledged along with the foundation course I want to do now? Or do they purely base it upon whether or not I get a good grade in the foundation course and only the foundation course?
Okay then thanks bud ^^.

But are my previous grades in my first 2 years of college acknowledged along with the foundation course I want to do now? Or do they purely base it upon whether or not I get a good grade in the foundation course and only the foundation course?

Either/or/and/both

It depends on the uni concerned. Some will look at both together, others will look at your diploma and your A levels (but wont count your Art/design A level), others will only look at your diploma.

In reality often the only thing they're interested in is your portfolio.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ

In reality often the only thing they're interested in is your portfolio.

I wish ^^ Otherwise I wouldn't have to score C/aboveC for GCSE maths :/ But non the less that's my fault but hopefully I can make up for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending