The Student Room Group

Scottish student studying in England - funding.

Hi, I am looking to do a PGCE in England as I would like to concentrate on Lower Primary, as oppose to the general course. This isn't available in Scotland so would be happy to move down to England, where they do such courses, but I'm not too sure if I would be funded or not. Even if I was to pay the loan back, would I be entitled to anything at all?

Thanks, Louise.
Reply 1
Original post by LouiseHolliday
Hi, I am looking to do a PGCE in England as I would like to concentrate on Lower Primary, as oppose to the general course. This isn't available in Scotland so would be happy to move down to England, where they do such courses, but I'm not too sure if I would be funded or not. Even if I was to pay the loan back, would I be entitled to anything at all?

Thanks, Louise.

The funding situation is unclear, SAAS fund PGDE but don't state if they would if you go out of Scotland
If you want to go back and teach in Scotland after do bare this in mind:
English teaching qualifications are transferable. However, there is no guarantee that you will automatically be allowed to teach in Scotland. The GTCS considers each registration application individually.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
The funding situation is unclear, SAAS fund PGDE but don't state if they would if you go out of Scotland
If you want to go back and teach in Scotland after do bare this in mind:
English teaching qualifications are transferable. However, there is no guarantee that you will automatically be allowed to teach in Scotland. The GTCS considers each registration application individually.

Thank you for your reply! I have been researching all day and came to the same conclusion so I will be calling SAAS tomorrow to consider my options.

You mention transferable qualifications and this is something I have been looking into as well. I was wondering if you know more about this; I have heard a PGDE from Scotland would allow me to teach in England, but not vice versa. Do you know what the GTCS is looking for if I was to move back to Scotland after completing a PGCE in England? I don't think I would need to complete a second PGDE up north just to teach in Scotland - or would I?
Reply 3
Original post by LouiseHolliday
Thank you for your reply! I have been researching all day and came to the same conclusion so I will be calling SAAS tomorrow to consider my options.

You mention transferable qualifications and this is something I have been looking into as well. I was wondering if you know more about this; I have heard a PGDE from Scotland would allow me to teach in England, but not vice versa. Do you know what the GTCS is looking for if I was to move back to Scotland after completing a PGCE in England? I don't think I would need to complete a second PGDE up north just to teach in Scotland - or would I?

I honestly don't know, I read what I posted you from this article
http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6161618

This should also help you.
http://www.gtcs.org.uk/registration/qualified-outside-of-scotland/qualified-outside-of-scotland.aspx
Moved to Student Financial Support :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending