The Student Room Group

Graduation Speeches?

Ok so i'm in my final year, and i was watching an episode of Castle on TV where one of the characters gives a school graduation speech, just wondering do graduates have to prepare a graduation speech anymore?
Reply 1
no

you collect a script

and walk on
Reply 2
Original post by Manbeerpig
no

you collect a script

and walk on

Have people in the UK ever had to do that, or is that more of an american thing?
Reply 3
It would take forever if hundreds of students gave speeches.
Reply 4
Original post by Tomsta
Ok so i'm in my final year, and i was watching an episode of Castle on TV where one of the characters gives a school graduation speech, just wondering do graduates have to prepare a graduation speech anymore?

Speeches are given by either an invited guest or (more normally) the head of department or a senior lecturer. They'll talk about the university and the course, and thank everyone for coming etc. The students don't give speeches!
Reply 5
Original post by Strangey
Speeches are given by either an invited guest or (more normally) the head of department or a senior lecturer. They'll talk about the university and the course, and thank everyone for coming etc. The students don't give speeches!

Fair enough, cos i was think yet more stuff to stress about :tongue:
Blimey, if everyone gave a speech you'd all be there until the following month. Graduation at my uni takes, I think, two weeks straight, and that's without any students giving speeches :eek3:
Reply 7
Original post by Tomsta
Fair enough, cos i was think yet more stuff to stress about :tongue:

In my university, it's usually one chosen student, the special guest and the vice chancellor of the Uni that conducts speeches, obviously depending on the department (ie science and engineering, social sciences, business school...) the student won't be the same it's based on each department

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your moment of glory as you walk up onto the stage, shake hands with the VC, and walk off again lasts about .... 45 seconds. That's it.
Reply 9
Original post by returnmigrant
Your moment of glory as you walk up onto the stage, shake hands with the VC, and walk off again lasts about .... 45 seconds. That's it.

Waited for three years only to go on for 45 seconds :rolleyes: Imagine if someone fell on the stage :lol: ah my worst fear!
Reply 10
I love the graduation speeches though. I think there should be about 3-4 student speeches so that they can talk about their uni experience. Otherwise, the graduation ceremony will be deadly boring. Have watched some speeches on Youtube and they are hilarious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending