The Student Room Group

Is the Health and Social Care Level 3 Extended Diploma difficult?

Hey everyone,

I am in Year 12 and I'm thinking of taking the level 3 extended diploma in Health and Social Care next year as I want to study Child Nursing at university (hopefully Keele).

However, I was wondering how difficult the course is to get grades like D*DD or DDM or DMM?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It isn't very difficult if you find a good college/sixth form who give you enough help, and of course buy the study guides to help you. If not you will struggle. It is A LOT of course work though, 18 units over 2 years so you will do 9 in each year, and each unit has 9-12 assignments in. The pass assignments are very easy however with the merits and distinctions if you do not get enough help you will struggle.
Reply 2
Original post by actorboy1997
Hey everyone,

I am in Year 12 and I'm thinking of taking the level 3 extended diploma in Health and Social Care next year as I want to study Child Nursing at university (hopefully Keele).

However, I was wondering how difficult the course is to get grades like D*DD or DDM or DMM?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi actorboy1997, im currently studying this course an hopefully finishing this year. I not going to lie this curse is very hard due to the amount of work. There are usually between 3-4 assignments per unit and can go up to about 40 pages long each!!! However, it is unbelievable the amount I have learnt from this course and have been able to go on placement which is a good experience. if you are committed to your work, I would advise you to take this course as it has helped me to learn a lot bout children's nursing. I hope this helps, any enquiry's just ask :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I am currently doing this course at college and there are a lot of people in my class who moan about the work being hard and how much work there is. I finished my first year with distinctions in every unit because i put the work in. Some member of the class think that half terms are times for them to go out and party every day rather then keeping up with work. I think its easy to achieve the high grades providing you do the work. Merits and distinctions are the easy part they mostly just ask you to assess things and evaluate them. There is always loads of help available whilst doing this type of course and you dont have to be the cleverest person. I finished my GCSE's with 2A*s 2b's and then 8c's so not exactly the straight a student but im managing fine. Sometimes its a bit stressful because the assignments are long but I enjoy writing them because you learn so much. I have just secured a place to study social work in september.
I'm doing this course and am in my 2nd year of doing it. There is quite a lot of work and if you're motivated enough you'll be able to achieve the grades :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm currently studying this course planning to go into adult nursing, I've got a conditional place at Keele. I'm predicted to get DDM. It is a really useful course especially with placements where you learns so much.

However it is a lot of coursework to do, 6 passes 3 merits and 2 distinctions per unit on average. DDM and DMM is quite easy to achieve, most uni's only want DDM, D*DD is a lot more coursework but it is doable.
Reply 6
Original post by actorboy1997

I am in Year 12 and I'm thinking of taking the level 3 extended diploma in Health and Social Care ...... I was wondering how difficult the course is to get grades like D*DD or DDM or DMM?

I am currently in my first year of doing this very course, and changed over from A levels (so I quit year 12 and started again doing this BTEC).

HONESTLY its nowhere near as hard as everyone makes it out to be- its ridiculously easy compared to A Levels, you get amazing hands on experience and we do about 4 assignments per unit, and each one is about 1500 words long, but your college might lay it out differently of course. It isn't hard to achieve a distinction if you actually listen in class, get appropriate help and read the textbooks. Message me if you want to know what you have to do for the assignments etc :smile:

I completed my first 3 units in December and got distinctions in all three, and I didn't find it too hard at all. Therefore, I think that although sometimes we have 3 assignments to hand in in a week and the workload increases in 2nd year, you really wouldn't struggle getting DDD or higher if you are actually interested in it and motivated to do well :smile:

Message me if you have any questions about assignments/how to do well/uni courses etc. I know nearly everything about uni courses now after researching them and the unis for the last year :P

Faye xxx
Original post by ollynicky
Hi actorboy1997, im currently studying this course an hopefully finishing this year. I not going to lie this curse is very hard due to the amount of work. There are usually between 3-4 assignments per unit and can go up to about 40 pages long each!!! However, it is unbelievable the amount I have learnt from this course and have been able to go on placement which is a good experience. if you are committed to your work, I would advise you to take this course as it has helped me to learn a lot bout children's nursing. I hope this helps, any enquiry's just ask :smile:

Hey, what sort of placements did you get and what sort of things did you have to do? Sorry for the late reply x
Original post by KatyRSC
I'm currently studying this course planning to go into adult nursing, I've got a conditional place at Keele. I'm predicted to get DDM. It is a really useful course especially with placements where you learns so much.

However it is a lot of coursework to do, 6 passes 3 merits and 2 distinctions per unit on average. DDM and DMM is quite easy to achieve, most uni's only want DDM, D*DD is a lot more coursework but it is doable.

Hey, sorry for the late reply. LUCKY!!!!!!!!!! Keele looks like such a great place to study! :biggrin: Also, what were they like with GCSE Science as I can retake with the BTEC but obviously I want to focus on the BTEC work. :tongue: I got DD in Double Science. I got C's in everything else and 1 A and 1 B. Thanks for helping me out x :tongue:
hey i have only currently had one placement in a care home but am looking to go on my next placement in a hospital so i have then had experience in different settings!...its also very useful to take up voluntary work in the care sector you want to work in, I've done voluntary work for over a year with children and its the best thing I've ever done!...depending on your age and setting will depend on your duties such as helping with hoists, doing the test trolley, feeding people and taking part in activities and after your placement if you liked it many places will take you on as staff, that's what happened to me&I've also got a job interview to work with kids today!:smile: x
Reply 10
You should be able to retake easily in the first year, dependant on college.
Some colleges don't do retakes so it's best to ring up and ask.
It should be easy if you keep on-top of coursework to retake, I did a functional skill's English during my 1st year.
It does look like a great uni :smile:
hi, i wanted to ask, if you haven't done art at gcse would you still be allowed to do Product design.
Hey my name is Princess I wanted to ask if u did the gcse as I haven’t but I was thinking of taking l3 health and social
Original post by fayeswan
I am currently in my first year of doing this very course, and changed over from A levels (so I quit year 12 and started again doing this BTEC).

HONESTLY its nowhere near as hard as everyone makes it out to be- its ridiculously easy compared to A Levels, you get amazing hands on experience and we do about 4 assignments per unit, and each one is about 1500 words long, but your college might lay it out differently of course. It isn't hard to achieve a distinction if you actually listen in class, get appropriate help and read the textbooks. Message me if you want to know what you have to do for the assignments etc :smile:

I completed my first 3 units in December and got distinctions in all three, and I didn't find it too hard at all. Therefore, I think that although sometimes we have 3 assignments to hand in in a week and the workload increases in 2nd year, you really wouldn't struggle getting DDD or higher if you are actually interested in it and motivated to do well :smile:

Message me if you have any questions about assignments/how to do well/uni courses etc. I know nearly everything about uni courses now after researching them and the unis for the last year :P

Faye xxx

Did u do gcse health and social as I would like to do it and how long do u have to submit a coursework eg a month or 3 weeks or something
How does the placement work what did you do?
Reply 15
Hi could you email the type of questions in the assessment. I am currently an SLA and my work is asking if we want to do this course and it may be a good opportunity for me. But not sure as a single mother I will have the time to invest in it. Seeing what the questions are like will help me.
Reply 16
hey, I’m not sure if this will be much use now to you but I’m currently in my second year of taking this course and it is very coursework heavy. I go for distinctions in all my assignments and exams so I have to dedicate a lot more time. However, you don’t have to go for distinctions to get a qualification in this course, you can just aim for the pass criteria instead. It just means finding the right balance when distributing your time. Typically you have 3/4 weeks to complete an assignment so it’s still plenty of time. I’m currently working 2 days a week as a waitress and 1 day a week as a casual teaching assistant as well as doing driving lessons, I ensure to make time to spend with my boyfriend and my family including helping out with my 9 week old sister. Doing this I still manage to leave plenty of time to complete coursework and revise for exams. It’s definitely do-able!!
Original post by fayeswan

Faye xxx

Hi would you be able to tell me the best study books you can get as i’m starting this course and want to do well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending