The Student Room Group

Alevel choices for dentistry

Hi hoping that someone could help me out with my alevel choices because I am so confused!

I have chosen to do chemistry, biology, german and geography
Do you think these are good choices? If not what could I change?
Also I am looking to hopefully study dentistry in either Manchester or Liverpool uni :smile:

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Chemistry, biology and either maths or physics (or both) will keep all dentistry courses open to you.
If you don’t take maths or physics but do take chemistry and biology, most courses will accept you.
If you only take one from chemistry or biology, fewer dentistry courses will accept you.

So the combination that i would recommend is Chemistry, biology, maths and physics
(you can maybe change maths for another subject if you don't think you'll acheive a high level)

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-become-a-dentist

:smile: xx
Reply 2
Original post by Wacky01
Chemistry, biology and either maths or physics (or both) will keep all dentistry courses open to you.

If you don’t take maths or physics but do take chemistry and biology, most courses will accept you.
If you only take one from chemistry or biology, fewer dentistry courses will accept you.

So the combination that i would recommend is Chemistry, biology, maths and physics
(you can maybe change maths for another subject if you don't think you'll acheive a high level)

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-become-a-dentist

:smile: xx

ok thanks for the advice! I've just got a lot of people telling my different things and it's really confusing me. How about German,maths chemistry and biology? Is maths compulsory and I thought geography counted as a science based subject?
Your choices seem pretty good to me :smile: however, I would advise changing either Geography or German to a third science subject (Maths or Physics). Obviously if you don't think you would do well in Maths or Physics stick with your current plan, but Dentistry courses prefer applicants who took at least 3 science subjects to AS.
Original post by suzanna_123

I thought geography counted as a science based subject?

Nope, definitely a humanities subject. The only subjects classed as science-based by most universities are Biology/ Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by LeFailFish
Nope, definitely a humanities subject. The only subjects classed as science-based by most universities are Biology/ Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths.

ok thanks haha this is stressful!
Reply 6
Your choices seem pretty good to me :smile: however, I would advise changing either Geography or German to a third science subject (Maths or Physics). Obviously if you don't think you would do well in Maths or Physics stick with your current plan, but Dentistry courses prefer applicants who took at least 3 science subjects to AS.

I heard that maths alevel is super hard:frown:
I heard that maths alevel is super hard:frown:

I take Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Maths, and personally I find the Maths the most difficult. However many people disagree with me and it certainly isn't impossible by any means! How are you currently finding Maths and Physics at GCSE? That should be a decent indicator of how you might cope at A level.
Reply 8
I take Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Maths, and personally I find the Maths the most difficult. However many people disagree with me and it certainly isn't impossible by any means! How are you currently finding Maths and Physics at GCSE? That should be a decent indicator of how you might cope at A level.

I wouldn't take physics as I hate it at the moment gcse! I enjoy maths and it isn't difficult however I am in set B (set A is the highest) and I got a B in my gcse exam but I have a resit in june so hopefully I will get an A because I wasn't far off.
I wouldn't take physics as I hate it at the moment gcse! I enjoy maths and it isn't difficult however I am in set B (set A is the highest) and I got a B in my gcse exam but I have a resit in june so hopefully I will get an A because I wasn't far off.

I struggled a bit with Physics GCSE but I'm finding the A level much more enjoyable, so doing better at it. The GCSE Physics course always seemed boring! If you can get an A at GCSE then you should be fine at AS - obviously there is a step up and GCSE results don't exactly predict AS/A level results, but in general that is the case. However, if you would find Maths too stressful stick with your current options, all your subjects are well-respected and you're taking the two 'essential' sciences.
Reply 10
I struggled a bit with Physics GCSE but I'm finding the A level much more enjoyable, so doing better at it. The GCSE Physics course always seemed boring! If you can get an A at GCSE then you should be fine at AS - obviously there is a step up and GCSE results don't exactly predict AS/A level results, but in general that is the case. However, if you would find Maths too stressful stick with your current options, all your subjects are well-respected and you're taking the two 'essential' sciences.

ok thanks so much :smile::smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest