The Student Room Group

Spanish speaking AS exam HELP!!!

Hello guys,
I am really stressing for my speaking exam on Wednesday, I have never felt like this about anything before and have been having nightmares about it every night. I am worried that nerves will get the best of me and i won't remember anything and will freeze like I did in my mock exam with my teacher or that I will just go entirely wrong!
please please can I have some tips for the exam!!!!

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing GCSE spanish and I know A level is obviously a lot harder but you really don't have anything to worry about. You worrying like this will help you fail.

Im im sure you know how to, at this level, construct sentences at the top of your head. You know the vocab. You know the tenses. Don't spend hours trying to memorise answers just , like the mark scheme says, make it seem as if you are having a conversation with someone.

in my experiences. Speaking exams are always easier than I make them out to be.

if your teacher is nice enough. Email her or him now and explain your situation and try to organise a mock exam Tuesday lunch.

Hope ive helped.
I would but.. yo no hablo espanol
I've got my oral tomorrow :'(
Just try and learn some basic oral phrases that can help you during the general conversation
Also just keep testing yourself on your question
Maybe do some practice oral stimulus cards? I wish I knew what was coming up this year hm
Reply 4
Just relax, and let it flow.

I memorised a couple of complex phrases/sentences to cover all the tense marks, but after that it's just easier to speak naturally. It will flow better that way. The more you talk, the less they're asking you questions.

They're quite scary, but once you're in there just let the flow of it carry you. It's just a conversation, not a mountain to climb. Perfectly doable :smile:

Talk to your teddy bear or something. I guess you have some example questions? Just pick any of those out at random and pretend you're answering it.
Reply 5
I felt nervous at gcse for my speaking exams but no where near as nervous as I feel now!!!
i have phrases to say such as 'es importance que reconazcamos' and 'esta tan Claro como el agua que' and more.
im just worried that as I said before I will just completely forget what to say or I don't fully understand the question and panic!
thanks for your help so far though guys I really appreciate it, it's helping me feel a bit calmer about it now and thanks for the tip to speak to my teddies haha, didn't think of that I might try it before I go to bed tonight and good luck to everyone with their speaking.
let me know how your exam goes tomorrow Melissa!
Buenas suerte!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by E.Thomas
I felt nervous at gcse for my speaking exams but no where near as nervous as I feel now!!!
i have phrases to say such as 'es importance que reconazcamos' and 'esta tan Claro como el agua que' and more.
im just worried that as I said before I will just completely forget what to say or I don't fully understand the question and panic!
thanks for your help so far though guys I really appreciate it, it's helping me feel a but calmer about it now and good luck to everyone with their speaking.
Buenas suerte!

If you don't understand the question just ask to repeat the question :smile:
It's just a conversation, and you're gonna get many more marks for sounding natural, and that includes forgetting what you were gonna say or taking pauses.
Gracias y buena suerte para miércoles :smile:
Those phrases are quite basicdibg memorize themunderstand them.makes its easier to recall the phrase and say it correctly.
thanks for your help so far though guys I really appreciate it, it's helping me feel a bit calmer about it now and thanks for the tip to speak to my teddies haha, didn't think of that I might try it before I go to bed tonight and good luck to everyone with their speaking.
Buenas suerte!

I understand exactly how you feel. I'm doing A2 Spanish now, but last year I was freaking out before my oral exam. Don't worry if you don't understand what has been asked, just ask the examiner to repeat the question. If you really don't understand, it's okay as well, just tell the examiner. It won't stop you from getting an A, if that's what you're worried about. As long as you have memorised some high level grammatical structures and get them in, it'll be fine. Don't freak out about the card either, remember you get a choice! The chances of you getting two awful cards are very slim.
Also, once you're in the exam, it's actually fine. It goes over so quickly, you wish it was longer as you had so much more to say! As long as you are well prepared, you'll be fine. :smile:
'esta tan Claro como el agua que'

I don't think you should include this phrase. It's more of an essay phrase, and it can make your conversation sound rehearsed.
The calmer you are, the better. Take a bottle of water with you as well because when you're nervous your mouth goes dry. The best thing is just to make sure you're prepared and used the 15 minutes prep beforehand to just write down little notes of stuff to say and where you want the conversation to lead as the main part of the speaking exam is to make sure that you lead the direction of the conversation. You'll be fine just keep calm and carry on
Reply 11
Original post by YounesBenbida
Those phrases are quite basicdibg memorize themunderstand them.makes its easier to recall the phrase and say it correctly.

Original post by llamaspoon
I don't think you should include this phrase. It's more of an essay phrase, and it can make your conversation sound rehearsed.

Could you suggest some better phrases to use then please? :smile:
Could you suggest some better phrases to use then please? :smile:

es importance que reconazcamos is a good phrase to use, don't listen to the other poster!
Quizás sea a causa del hecho que is another subjunctive phrase.
Time phrases can be useful as well eg. primeramente.
Some phrases you could start a sentence with:
me gustaría pensar que
la forma en que lo veo es que
Es probable/una lastima/vergonzoso/discutible que + subjunctiveYo diría que
Tampoco

I'm not quite sure what kind of phrases you're looking for, so there's a selection.
(edited 9 years ago)
I didn't say it was a bad phrase. I said its quite basic. I do gcse Spanish and I a similar phrase in Year 9 speaking . I'm just pointing it out. Better to use more complicated tenses like the subjunctive.
Original post by YounesBenbida
I didn't say it was a bad phrase. I said its quite basic. I do gcse Spanish and I a similar phrase in Year 9 speaking . I'm just pointing it out. Better to use more complicated tenses like the subjunctive.

That phrase was the subjunctive.
i did my A2 spanish oral uhhh last thursday and i was so scared but you really don't need to worry :smile: i take spanish because i really enjoy it , and speaking is the thing i'm best at so i just kind of led the conversation - he only got to ask me three questions in the four minutes on the card and like... four in the ten minutes on my movie :P

i find it's always best to smile a lot , and expand on EVERYTHING you say , and also put a lot of emotion into it. i can talk very fast in spanish , and i've been told i sound fluent - it's because i enjoy it. so i went in and i didn't think about the fact i really need an A (law with hispanic law at uni ahh) i just thought , this is an opportunity to talk to someone in spanish , a language i love , about things that interest me , and to show them that i can do it

you need to take deep breaths , calm yourself , and smile :smile: also , try reading articles on rtve.es , and maybe watching their news channel? they have 24 hour news , so you can listen to the accent and kind of , pick it up? it helps you have some background knowledge about what's happening in spain atm as well , which would be good to incorporate into your oral :smile:

if you need any more help - on your paper or on the oral - just send me a message :smile: always happy to talk about spanish woo , good luck bunny :bunny:
Original post by hotliketea
i did my A2 spanish oral uhhh last thursday and i was so scared but you really don't need to worry :smile: i take spanish because i really enjoy it , and speaking is the thing i'm best at so i just kind of led the conversation - he only got to ask me three questions in the four minutes on the card and like... four in the ten minutes on my movie :P

i find it's always best to smile a lot , and expand on EVERYTHING you say , and also put a lot of emotion into it. i can talk very fast in spanish , and i've been told i sound fluent - it's because i enjoy it. so i went in and i didn't think about the fact i really need an A (law with hispanic law at uni ahh) i just thought , this is an opportunity to talk to someone in spanish , a language i love , about things that interest me , and to show them that i can do it

you need to take deep breaths , calm yourself , and smile :smile: also , try reading articles on rtve.es , and maybe watching their news channel? they have 24 hour news , so you can listen to the accent and kind of , pick it up? it helps you have some background knowledge about what's happening in spain atm as well , which would be good to incorporate into your oral :smile:

if you need any more help - on your paper or on the oral - just send me a message :smile: always happy to talk about spanish woo , good luck bunny :bunny:

I could do with some help on the oral part
Original post by Jordooooom
I could do with some help on the oral part

just message me whatever :smile: i'll pick it up tomorrow
Reply 18

Thanks so much for your help, glad to hear that your speaking exam went well.
i might message you tonight if that's alright depending on how I feel etc.

I'm not asking for specifics but how did you find the cards? Were they okay? Just I've got my A2 oral on Thursday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending