The Student Room Group

Lifting noob gets strong

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
1/5/12

OHP: 37.5kg (5,5,5,4) PB then 35kg (1x5)
Lat pulldowns: 45kg (3x8)
DB CGBP: 15kg (3x8)
Rope Pushdowns: 12.5kg (3x8)
Curls: 20kg (9,8,6)
Lateral raises: 5kg (3x10)
Rear delt flies: 5kg (3x10)

Will hopefully get (5x5) at 37.5kg next time.
Still finding CGBP awkward on my shoulders despite trying different variations such as doing them on decline a decline and using dumbbells.
My curls haven't progressed since like Christmas lol.
Didn't do deadlifts because of upper trap tightness I've had for the past week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
3/5/14

Squats - 65kg (5,5,5)
Decline Bench - 55kg (5,5,5) PB
DB flat bench - 22.5kg (7,7,7)
Rows - 47kg (5,5,5,5,5) PB
DB shrugs -22.5kg (20,20,20)
Curls - 22kg (6,6,6,4)

Skulls are hurting my elbows again so I'm gonna replace them with Pushdowns or bench dips. Or just focus on bench + OHP for tricep growth and forget about tricep isolations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why decline bench and bench?

Cable pulldowns are good, I love them. Something like a kickback you might have to resort to.

Have you tried a skullcrusher with DBs? Some guys do them and like them as opposed to with a bar
Reply 43
Flat bench is starting to hurt my shoulders. Tbh, the flat dumbbell bench gave me some weird pain in the front delts as well, annoying.

By pulldowns do you mean pushdowns?

DB extensions aren't great on my elbows either, could probably go with really light dumbbells and do 15-20 reps but I don't think that's the best for hypertrophy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reps4Jesus
Flat bench is starting to hurt my shoulders. Tbh, the flat dumbbell bench gave me some weird pain in the front delts as well, annoying.

DB extensions aren't great on my elbows either, could probably go with really light dumbbells and do 15-20 reps but I don't think that's the best for hypertrophy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you do any band stuff before benching + facepulls? I can't bench or OHP without doing it as my shoulder screams at me

And yeh, I always think pushdowns are pulldowns lol

Yeah, either go really light or dw about secondary tricep work :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Angry cucumber
Do you do any band stuff before benching + facepulls? I can't bench or OHP without doing it as my shoulder screams at me

And yeh, I always think pushdowns are pulldowns lol

Yeah, either go really light or dw about secondary tricep work :smile:

Band stuff, no. Started doing shoulder dislocations and wall slides before every session though.

Could I do the things you do with bands with dumbbells? The shoulder screaming is starting to annoy me on benching, don't get it on OHP though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whats your split at the moment?
Reply 47
Original post by NathanDYEL
Whats your split at the moment?

No split..

Full body workouts alternating between A and B with A having squats, bench horizontal pull and assistance work then B including deadlifts, overhead press and a vertical pull then assistance work

Posted from TSR Mobile
3/5/14

Squats - 65kg (5,5,5)
Decline Bench - 55kg (5,5,5) PB
DB flat bench - 22.5kg (7,7,7)
Rows - 47kg (5,5,5,5,5) PB
DB shrugs -22.5kg (20,20,20)
Curls - 22kg (6,6,6,4)

Skulls are hurting my elbows again so I'm gonna replace them with Pushdowns or bench dips. Or just focus on bench + OHP for tricep growth and forget about tricep isolations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

twenty reps of shrugs?

what.

use a barbell and put some proper weight on there and do less reps
Reply 49
Original post by tehforum
twenty reps of shrugs?

what.

use a barbell and put some proper weight on there and do less reps

Yeh is usually do but both racks were busy and I was running out of time..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
8/4/14

Bench press - 57.5kg (3x5) PB
DB bench - 22.5kg (4x7) PB
Bent over row - 50kg (5x5) PB
Shrugs - 72.5kg (3x8) PB
One arm Pushdowns
Curls
Cable external rotations
Leg press - 110kg x15

No squats, power rack was being used and I couldn't be bothered waiting before starting my workout.
Can't wait to start going to my uni gym in September, supposed to be one of the best in Scotland!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

If flat bench is hurting your shoulders then it's likely your form is off.

Make sure your shoulders aren't hunched up and make sure your shoulder blades are squeezed together. Also don't flare your elbows out. Here's a video showing how to bench with good form: http://youtu.be/rJX5MKacR6M?t=58s

I was having slight pain in my shoulders before I fixed my form and now my shoulders are fine.
Reply 52
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
If flat bench is hurting your shoulders then it's likely your form is off.

Make sure your shoulders aren't hunched up and make sure your shoulder blades are squeezed together. Also don't flare your elbows out. Here's a video showing how to bench with good form: http://youtu.be/rJX5MKacR6M?t=58s

I was having slight pain in my shoulders before I fixed my form and now my shoulders are fine.

I'm pretty sure my form is absolutely fine..shoulder blades pinched, arms at 45 degree angle.

I think I'm going to low for someone with long arms..think I should maybe start stopping a few inches from my chest and keep all tension on chest rather than touch the chest transferring the tension to my delts..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If someone like Commandant can touch his chest with his arms, so can you :tongue:

You warming up your shoulders at all before benching? Bands, facepulls or even some shoulder rotations etc?
Reply 54
Original post by Angry cucumber
If someone like Commandant can touch his chest with his arms, so can you :tongue:

You warming up your shoulders at all before benching? Bands, facepulls or even some shoulder rotations etc?

Usually do dislocations, wall glides and other shoulder stretches. Facepulls hurt my elbow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure my form is absolutely fine..shoulder blades pinched, arms at 45 degree angle.

I think I'm going to low for someone with long arms..think I should maybe start stopping a few inches from my chest and keep all tension on chest rather than touch the chest transferring the tension to my delts..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure you're maintaining good form on weights you struggle with? Are you arching your back a little, making sure your shoulders don't push up when you're pushing the weight, and lowering the bar to your nipples/a little below your nipples? Maybe try a narrower grip if it's too wide at the moment.

If you're certain your form's perfect then there's nothing wrong with stopping an inch or two above your chest, but make sure your form's spot on before you do this or else you might still be damaging your shoulders.
Reply 56
10/5/14

DB shoulder press - 17.5kg (7,7,7,7)
Lat pulldown- 50kg (7,7,7,7) PB
Hammer curls - 10kg (3x8)
Side raises - 6kg x lots
Rotator cuff stuff

Didn't have much time at all, realised I had to leave in 10 minutes after doing pulldowns.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
12/5/14

DB Decline Press - 25kg (4x5) then (1x6) PB
DB Incline Press - 20kg (3x8) easy
DB Rows - 22.5kg (3x8)
One arm Pushdowns
Hammer curls - 10kg (9,8,5) PB lol

No barbell available to use today annoyingly!
Definitely feel like I'm getting stronger though! PB's every session.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
20/5/14

DB Shoulder press - 20kg (5,5,5,5,3) PB
Lat Pulldown - 55kg (5,5,5,5,5) PB
Close grip bench (pause) - 42.5kg (2x8 PB
Hammer curls - 12.5kg (5,5,5,3) PB LOL
Pushdowns

Back down to the 17.5kg dumbbells for shoulder presses next time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gl bro!

Quick Reply