The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Can anyone explain contestable market to me ? is it just the same as competitive market ?
Reply 161
Its a market where there is perfect competition, so now barriers to entry/exit etc and also a key thing is that there is always the threat of potential competition so even if there is only one firm they will not profit maximise or anything like that because there is always the chance that a rival firm could enter the market :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 162
Original post by YAAM
Can anyone explain contestable market to me ? is it just the same as competitive market ?

Its a market where there is perfect competition, so now barriers to entry/exit etc and also a key thing is that there is always the threat of potential competition so even if there is only one firm they will not profit maximise or anything like that because there is always the chance that a rival firm could enter the market :smile:
Reply 163
Original post by Niia
I always do 3 well developed points for L3 and evaluate them, so 3 for L4 as well.
the judgement being separate to that, I get about 16/17 out of 20 with this.
hope it helps :smile:

Thank you . but for the question like "Discuss the extent to which government intervention can reduce labour market failure caused by the immobility of labour", do you give 3 different examples of intervention and evaluate each of them?
Reply 164
Original post by Nash96

Thanks its clear now :smile:
What would you guys say the biggest wage determinant factor is? Usually seen in questions such as 'Discuss the extent to which the elasticity of demand for labour is the main determinant of wages in an occupation'
Reply 166
Original post by 50spence
What would you guys say the biggest wage determinant factor is? Usually seen in questions such as 'Discuss the extent to which the elasticity of demand for labour is the main determinant of wages in an occupation'

I usually conclude with the fact that qualifications/skills/training periods act as a barrier to entering a profession, which has the main determining influence on supply of labour. I feel that this is most important in describing why e.g. lawyers get paid more than e.g. waiters... as the demand side doesn't really account for this (IMO!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone be willing to make a 20/15 marker plans for questions that might show up
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 168
For the 15 marker the mark scheme says "for a 7+ mark candidates must offer a clear real world application to the UK labour market". What does that mean and what I have to say in each case?
(edited 9 years ago)
How's everyone preparation for this exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are there any topics that come up for the essay choices every year?
What are the characteristics of a monopoly?
Do we need to know in depth about price discrimination? i.e. 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree?

Can someone confirm this with me, thanks.
Make sure everyone's aware of how to do the calculations!
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
Make sure everyone's aware of how to do the calculations!

What calculations!? :O and how?
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
Do we need to know in depth about price discrimination? i.e. 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree?

Can someone confirm this with me, thanks.

What is 1st 2nd 3rd degree????
Original post by thunguyen168

1st degree - this where the firm sells each unit at the maximum each consumer is willing to pay. This means that it is better for society as there is no weight loss and it increases profits for the firm. However, there is no consumer surplus. It is very very rare, pretty much non existent, and example would probes be selling art work.

2nd degree - blocks of output are sold for different prices. Ir. The first 200 may be sold for £10 then the next 300 for £5. I think this is used in selling tickets on trains and planes. (I may be wrong).

3rd Degree - this is most common and is where firms sell at different prices depending on the consumer price elasticity of demand. Eg. Students PED is more elastic so they will be sold the product at a lower price. This is used at for example when you buy a football ticket at a football game.
Original post by NottsYellowJnr
1st degree - this where the firm sells each unit at the maximum each consumer is willing to pay. This means that it is better for society as there is no weight loss and it increases profits for the firm. However, there is no consumer surplus. It is very very rare, pretty much non existent, and example would probes be selling art work.

2nd degree - blocks of output are sold for different prices. Ir. The first 200 may be sold for £10 then the next 300 for £5. I think this is used in selling tickets on trains and planes. (I may be wrong).

3rd Degree - this is most common and is where firms sell at different prices depending on the consumer price elasticity of demand. Eg. Students PED is more elastic so they will be sold the product at a lower price. This is used at for example when you buy a football ticket at a football game.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dowen123
What calculations!? :O and how?

Participation ratio, Female participation ratio etc..

Original post by thunguyen168

Sorry I never replied in time, but what the other person said. Its useful to discuss in monopoly/oligopoly questions for evaluation purposes... I've never seen it come up in a past paper though.
Anyone up for another Skype session today? I know its late but still lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending