The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RebelV005
The OCR W&L mark schemes might as well not be there. PILE OF SH*T

Seconded. Unfortunately, you sometimes end up with a hapless business studies teacher marking your work to the word on those things. OCR Economics is always worth a remark if you don't get the result you're expecting.
Ahhh i missed it tell me when another skype session is on, i have plenty to discuss!
Reply 202
Analyse, using examples, the factors which determine the elasticity of demand for labour. [15]
Discuss the extent to which the elasticity of demand for labour is the main determinant of
wages in an occupation. [20]

Analyse the economies of scale which may arise in a leisure industry of your choice. [15]
Discuss the extent to which a leisure industry of your choice is an oligopoly. [20]

would be great if someone could plan and structure these as it really helped me for f585 cheers
Original post by YAAM
haha would that be those pecuniary factors?? so whether non-pecuniary benefits may affect the supply of labour depends on the wage rates?

indeed :wink: because even if you have splendid working conditions, company car, less hours to work etc but you're getting paid about £5 an hour then it's very possible some people might not supply their labour to that occupation.

i should also add you should give examples of occupations as you go through the essay.
Original post by Fas
indeed :wink: because even if you have splendid working conditions, company car, less hours to work etc but you're getting paid about £5 an hour then it's very possible some people might not supply their labour to that occupation.

i should also add you should give examples of occupations as you go through the essay.

Geographical mobility also affects people's willingness to supply themselves, what more Fas?
'Analyse the factors which determine the demand for labour'

What diagrams do you use for this?? The mark scheme diagrammatical illustration of MRP theory..?
Reply 206
Original post by Nash96
You need to take two forms, like collective and local agreements, then analyse how they may impact on wages, elasticity and skills/productivity :smile: you could also maybe bring in some stuff about relative bargaining strength :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what are their impacts? would it be the impact of trade unions?
Reply 207
What are the characteristics of a monopoly?

So far I have:
1 dominant firm, profit maximisers, high barriers to entry, supernormal profits in LR, allocatively and productively inefficient.

Am I missing any?
Reply 208
Original post by PJ.
What are the characteristics of a monopoly?

So far I have:
1 dominant firm, profit maximisers, high barriers to entry, supernormal profits in LR, allocatively and productively inefficient.

Am I missing any?

Price maker and unique product.
Reply 209
Does anyone know how you'd answer a 15 marker on 'analyse why the government intervenes in the labour market' - I would find it difficult to write a whole essay on this but is in the spec.
Whats the point in a contestable market? I see obvious benefits such as lower prices and greater output but they are still neither productively or allocatively efficient?

I cant even see there being any dynamic efficiencies as all information must be available for all firms!
Reply 211
Original post by Waloo
Does anyone know how you'd answer a 15 marker on 'analyse why the government intervenes in the labour market' - I would find it difficult to write a whole essay on this but is in the spec.

Increase flexibility, reduce labour market failure, reduce inequality/poverty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would anyone be willing to share a 20 marker plan for:

'Discuss, using examples from a leisure industry, the extent to which competition creates efficiency'

I know about: allocative efficiency, productive efficiency, X-inefficiency, dynamic efficiency/efficiencies. However, in terms of applying them and commenting on them I'm a little weak.
Original post by Shepherd_9
'Analyse the factors which determine the demand for labour'

What diagrams do you use for this?? The mark scheme diagrammatical illustration of MRP theory..?

four factors which determine demand for labour:

worker's MRP
complementary labour costs
demand for the product (as labour is derived demand)
the wage rate

analyse how each one of those will determine a firms demand for labour. and yes you can draw an MRP diagram to support your MRP analysis.
Original post by NottsYellowJnr
Whats the point in a contestable market? I see obvious benefits such as lower prices and greater output but they are still neither productively or allocatively efficient?

I cant even see there being any dynamic efficiencies as all information must be available for all firms!

surely operating in a contestable market means the firm must strive to be productively and allocatively efficient?
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
Geographical mobility also affects people's willingness to supply themselves, what more Fas?

ahh yes, geographical and occupational mobility, labour market flexibility, could mention maybe worker's relative poverty? if workers are more well off they just decide "**** this" and not supply their labour?

yeah i really wouldn't go with that last point hahaha
Reply 216
Are firms in a monopolistic competition market price-makers or price-takers?
Original post by PJ.
Are firms in a monopolistic competition market price-makers or price-takers?

Price makers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas
surely operating in a contestable market means the firm must strive to be productively and allocatively efficient?

My understanding is that due to the reduction in barriers to entry they must now operate to achieve normal profits otherwise they would be subject to hit and run tactics. This is where AR = AC, neither productively or allocatively efficient.
Original post by Fas
ahh yes, geographical and occupational mobility, labour market flexibility, could mention maybe worker's relative poverty? if workers are more well off they just decide "**** this" and not supply their labour?

yeah i really wouldn't go with that last point hahaha

Haha yeah, the last point can be developed though!

Latest

Trending

Trending