The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ItsJustMe17
Hahaha, sounds about right though! What essay question did you do?

Q4

What did you say for the measuring of Unit Labour Costs?
Reply 481
Original post by RebelV005
Q4

Defined it: total labour costs per unit of output. Then explained the calculation was total labour costs/output.
My calculator was being all funky rounding all my answers up! :frown: So for 1999 I got 60% (even though it was 50-something with a decimal) and 2010 80% (even though it was like 70-something percent with a decimal) but my calculator kept rounding my numbers up. Hope i still get a mark though :/ What do you guys think???:confused:

If you wrote down the calculation of (number of multiplex/number of total cinemas)x100 then you might get a mark or two. I doubt they'll be lenient and will expect the correct figure to at least a decimal point :/
Original post by Pokims1996
For the first one i basically explained MRP and also said that supply factors need to be considered and based an evaluative point off of elasticities

For the second one i did something quite similar to this but concentrating on wage determination/disparities instead of quantity of labour employed!

What about you? :smile:

Yeah I also explained MRP (obviously LOL), then talked about other factors that could affect the quantity of demand for labour such as derived demand and the wage rate. Yeah I also talked about elasticities as well. Aw man I guess I should have said something about supply side also :/
For the second one I did as you did, focusing on wage determination. What did you write for the given factor (demand side??) I was so confused about this one. But basically I wrote for this essay how wages are affected by the level of MRP people have, derived demand (impact on wage though not quantities of labour), discrimination and trade unions/monopsonist employers. Hope i went along the right lines lol
If you wrote down the calculation of (number of multiplex/number of total cinemas)x100 then you might get a mark or two. I doubt they'll be lenient and will expect the correct figure to at least a decimal point :/

Yeah Im hoping I get at least 2/3 :/
Original post by gs1996
Defined it: total labour costs per unit of output. Then explained the calculation was total labour costs/output.

Wasn't output basically 40? Because that cinema has only 1 screen with 40 seats?
So we could have worked out cost of labour per seat occupied?

I did the fraction too
Reply 486

Was a difference of 17% wasn't it? :colondollar:
Q4

Yeah like the other person replied to you, I did the definition but i think the calculation i wrote to figure out unit labour costs was wrong lol.
Reply 488
Wasn't output basically 40? Because that cinema has only 1 screen with 40 seats?
So we could have worked out cost of labour per seat occupied?

I did the fraction too

I'm not sure. I didn't calculate it, I should have said number of seats instead of output also but they may let it slide...
Reply 489
Yeah like the other person replied to you, I did the definition but i think the calculation i wrote to figure out unit labour costs was wrong lol.

It's definitely TLC/O. I luckily came across it a month ago and Googled it...
Yeah I also explained MRP (obviously LOL), then talked about other factors that could affect the quantity of demand for labour such as derived demand and the wage rate. Yeah I also talked about elasticities as well. Aw man I guess I should have said something about supply side also :/
For the second one I did as you did, focusing on wage determination. What did you write for the given factor (demand side??) I was so confused about this one. But basically I wrote for this essay how wages are affected by the level of MRP people have, derived demand (impact on wage though not quantities of labour), discrimination and trade unions/monopsonist employers. Hope i went along the right lines lol

Unfortunately for part a, it was how MRP affects the quantity of labour employed and not the quantity of labour demanded , so knowing OCR they're gunna come down on people who didnt include supply side factors. :/
for part b, MRP theory could be used as a demand-side explaination (MRP=wage), and I wrote a small bit about trade unions at the end.

It wasn't easy by any means, good luck to you :smile:
Reply 491
i think I got a D/E.......cant go uni
Original post by gs1996
Was a difference of 17% wasn't it? :colondollar:

Um.. Not quite sure, I didn't put an exact figure down for the % rise! I got 50something and 75.something! :') I think I can get the third mark by just saying there was a rise (hopefully) :')
Original post by faithiskey
Hi fas i did the eassay on monopsony but i couldnt remember the monopsony diagram so i drew this instead... does it still apply seeing as i explained the whole thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats a monopoly diagram, not a monopsony one! there's no way they would mark that correct, it's completely irrelevant to the question
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
Noice, did you basically copy and paste memorised answers from June 13 section A?

I basically went hawk on poverty the night before! I expect to drop marks for the 15 marker though, only got in 3 points?

I Brought in Lorenz curve, Gini coefficient and unemployment for part a and then limitations of reforming the tax and benefits system (politically mainly) NMW and greater spending on training and education for part b. What did you discuss?

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gs1996
It's definitely TLC/O. I luckily came across it a month ago and Googled it...

yeah its total labour costs / output. i probably only got 1/3 for that, mentioned that it was total labour costs/output, but then said that it was effectively wages/productivity as wages were a significant factor in a cinema's total labour costs. didn't mention anything about output being the number of seats or anything :frown:
Unfortunately for part a, it was how MRP affects the quantity of labour employed and not the quantity of labour demanded , so knowing OCR they're gunna come down on people who didnt include supply side factors. :/
for part b, MRP theory could be used as a demand-side explaination (MRP=wage), and I wrote a small bit about trade unions at the end.

It wasn't easy by any means, good luck to you :smile:

But surely if it asked about changes in MRP effecting the quantity employed where do you bring supply side factors into that?
(edited 9 years ago)
for the economies of scale one, i put managerial and technological economies of scale (although spelt technological wrong in the exam...don't ask) how about others?
I wrote this too! Almost phrase for phrase :rolleyes:

lets hope it right then, otherwise we're both screwed :tongue:
Reply 499

I don't remember what the second question was. I am going on the grounds it was influences on wage differentials? I defined wage differentials, then focused on them in terms of occupation and region. I said demand might differ in different regions, and focused on the North-South division in manufacturing, then obviously said the wage rate is higher if demand is higher. Then I did PED of demand for product, and argued that perhaps if PED is more inelastic in wealthy areas for certain products then the demand would replicate this- meaning that the wage rate is more likely to be high. Then I switched so skilled vs. non-skilled occupations and how there was a wage differentiation between the two. I used the case studies of doctors and waitresses. Then demonstrated in diagrams that the wage rate would be low in the case of waitresses, due to inelastic demand and supply. Whereas, in the case of doctors it would be high because they are always demanded and highly-skilled- thus the supply is inelastic.
Then I just concluded, I didn't say much but I think I went into lots of details. I ultimately said that, yes, of course the demand for labour and whatnot is important in wage determination and calculating wage differentials- but ultimately the supply is important as well and must be taken into account.

Latest

Trending

Trending